Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is it time for David Davis to resign ?

(52 Posts)
jura2 Thu 21-Dec-17 10:03:30

Personally, I truly think he should resign or be pushed.

He is putting the whole country at risk.

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 22-Dec-17 21:38:05

That's it for me on political threads until after Christmas. I've got better things to do than read unbelievably absurd posts on serious subjects. Merry Christmas to everyone.

maryeliza54 Fri 22-Dec-17 20:41:24

Ministerial responsibility ? Hahahahaha

whitewave Fri 22-Dec-17 20:40:16

Not when produced for the executive. But the whole point is that these reports would have been read and reread at very high levels in the civil service as these reports were produced for the executive. It still beggars belief.

The one who takes responsibility for the report is the minister.

Primrose65 Fri 22-Dec-17 20:36:01

I think the people who produced the reports, plagiarising "The Ladybird Book of Impact Assessments" should take responsibility for their work.

Civil servants take responsibility for their own work, surely.

maryeliza54 Fri 22-Dec-17 20:32:38

Any sense that the brexiteers are just gettting the tiniest bit desperate? Still the change in passport colour must have made their day #brexiteerseasilypleasedbless

whitewave Fri 22-Dec-17 20:30:21

Exactly mary

maryeliza54 Fri 22-Dec-17 20:29:00

So it’s civil servants who take responsibility is it - not our bloody disgraceful awful stupid incompetent elected representatives - fffffffs. Bloody hell

whitewave Fri 22-Dec-17 20:26:30

primrose do you know how the civil service works, only your post suggests not.

Primrose65 Fri 22-Dec-17 20:20:05

It's as if it was great fun to say how pathetic they were until you realised you were criticising the output of public servants and not Tory MPs. grin

They contain no form of assessment and the quality of analyses would be an embarrassment to a GCSE student.Dear God. Save us from these idiots

For once ww we are in absolute agreement.

They are either incompetent or are producing low quality work to suit a political aim. Either way, they should be sacked.

whitewave Fri 22-Dec-17 19:50:41

Some bits of the reports were copied and pasted from wikipedia.

whitewave Fri 22-Dec-17 19:35:24

Reading them I suspect it was given out to young civil servants in various departments and the poor little buggers were required to produce something which they had never had experience or requirement to do in their young lives. But we must also remember that presumably the reports had to get past their line manager. Given the amount of people whose hands they went through prior to being made public, it beggars belief.

whitewave Fri 22-Dec-17 19:31:31

There’s plenty more where that came from wilma it makes for breathtaking incompetence. It is utterly irrelevant who produced these pathetic reports. What is however relevant is that Davis accepted them, as sufficient for purpose.

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 22-Dec-17 19:07:18

Primrose your comment about public sector workers is beyond belief. We know nothing about who was tasked with pulling together the previously non-existent reports, how long they had to do it and under what guidance. For all we know, apprentice admin assistants just out of school might have been given the job and told quantity not quality was required. These reports went from being described as extensive, to not existing, to heavily redacted and now they sound like copy and paste jobs.

Of course, it couldn't be that David Davis was lying? No, of course not. It's all the fault of incompetent public sector workers. What planet are you on?

maryeliza54 Fri 22-Dec-17 18:38:42

Well if she didn’t she should have because no 10 was informed last year. A good leader should have staff around her she can trust - but that rather begs the question doesn’t it given her record.

Morgana Fri 22-Dec-17 17:26:21

And she is now saying she knew nothing about D.G. As if!!!!

NotTooOld Fri 22-Dec-17 13:53:18

Yes, DD should go. He used to come across as competent and on the ball but now he seems to have gone to the dogs. He reminds me of other disorganised and lazy members of staff (mainly male, I have to say) that I have come across in the workplace. TM should retire him.

maryeliza54 Fri 22-Dec-17 13:21:55

And imagine a cabinet minister who having read the documentation didn’t throw it back at the civil servant .... oh wait a minute

maryeliza54 Fri 22-Dec-17 13:20:33

Gosh how lucky we are that private sector employees like for example er er er certain bankers underperform or rail company managers - just imagine if they did, the global economy might be threatened or some rail companies fail to provide a reliable service. Or what about those who manage social media sites and somehow can’t work out how to take down racist, sexist threats or videos of child abuse. Just imagine that sort or world- phew

Iam64 Fri 22-Dec-17 12:59:05

I agree with whitewave and maryliza about the two policemen who are being threatened with prosecution under the Official Secrets Act, which all police officers sign. Cyril Smith anyone? The elderly retired officers who finally had the courage to speak out about their investigations which concluded he had abused boys as alleged were silences for years by exactly that threat, that they'd be prosecuted, go to prison and lose the pensions they'd been paying into throughout their careers.
Also, the key police officers and social workers in the Rochdale CSE investigations. Sidelined, made redundant accused of being emotionally involved and in the case of the health worker, not following the correct procedures to make a referral to the local authority social work teams.
Sorry, I didn't hang on to my desire not to get outraged (on another thread) for very long. grin

Primrose65 Fri 22-Dec-17 12:47:12

I do agree that they seem simplistic - it seems that the civil service is not doing such a stellar job of supporting politicians.
What should be done about civil servants who just are not up to the job? They'd just be sacked in the private sector if they were such a public embarrassment. It's just another example of public sector workers underperforming.

Tegan2 Fri 22-Dec-17 10:29:09

whitewave; are these quotes taken from The Ladybird Book of Impact Assessments??

whitewave Fri 22-Dec-17 10:25:57

With this level of analyses and competence, this government and our country are done for.

We will be at the mercy of Trump and the WTO, who will all simply eat us for breakfast

whitewave Fri 22-Dec-17 10:23:30

Some gems gleaned from MN

“Space industry is often bespoke, or involves limited manufacturing runs”

“Insurance businesses operate by firms writing insurance policies for clients, intermediates by brokers”

“Retail is a large and diverse sector, ranging from everyday necessities to high end products”

It has also been given a 16% plagiarised score!!

Apparently zero said about food security.

whitewave Fri 22-Dec-17 10:14:57

How about this for the fishing industry.

“The fishing trade supplies to fish and chip shops. The fishing industry is mainly in the coastal areas”

grin or should that be sad or angry

whitewave Fri 22-Dec-17 09:54:37

Some people are ploughing through the sector reports eventually produced by the liar Davis. They contain no form of assessment and the quality of analyses would be an embarrassment to a GCSE student.

“Electricity is a fundamental part of modern society. Residential and industrial users rely on it to ensure basic and vital needs such as heating, lighting or refrigeration are met on a daily basis”

blush

This level of analysis is in every single one. Dear God. Save us from these idiots.