Gransnet forums

News & politics

Blue Passport

(121 Posts)
vampirequeen Sat 23-Dec-17 13:42:07

Some people are celebrating the 'return of their identity' because the UK Passport is changing back to blue. I don't have a passport. Does this mean that I don't have an identity? Do I actually exist? hmm

Chewbacca Sun 24-Dec-17 10:30:57

maryhoffman, £500 million isn't, and never was, being spent on the passport colour change. That was a fake news story that was started by James Caan tweet. He has since admitted that he made the story up.

Jalima1108 Sun 24-Dec-17 10:32:20

I thought that this is the total cost of passports over the next ? years, not for changing from red to blue. Fake news again!
(there is another thread somewhere on here about it).

Surely no-one thinks that changing the covers will cost £500m !

MaizieD Sun 24-Dec-17 10:36:47

I have to apologise for overhyping fake news on the 'lunacy' thread (but it's wandered too far off the point now for me to eat humble pie on there)

However, I think what got many people really upset on social media was the gloating tweet, ostensible from Theresa May (but probably just from and employee at conservative central office) which went :

"The UK passport is an expression of our independence and sovereignty – symbolising our citizenship of a proud, great nation. That's why we have announced that the iconic #bluepassport will return after we leave the European Union in 2019. www.conservatives.com/sharethefacts/2017/12/blue-passports …"

Personally, I'm happy to find that I've another 7 years worth of travel left in my burgundy passport...

nipsmum Sun 24-Dec-17 10:58:35

I was 63 before I had a passport. I couldn't tell you what colour it is without looking. Colour s only window dressing. It doesn't defign you as a person . What nonsense to care so much.

Jalima1108 Sun 24-Dec-17 11:02:59

It's never too late MaizieD tchwink

well now, I can't wait to see what colour mine will be next year (a mixture - purple perhaps?)

Kim19 Sun 24-Dec-17 11:15:50

I don't particularly mind what colour the new one turns out to be. Would be helpful if it was easily distinguishable amongst all my other docs. I seem to remember the old blue/black one was slightly larger and not as pocket friendly as the maroon one. Hope I'm either wrong about that or, at least, the current size is maintained

Jalima1108 Sun 24-Dec-17 11:15:52

although I did consider that it was too late on another thread to amend a throwaway remark I made for which I received an excoriating reply
tchhmm

judylow Sun 24-Dec-17 11:41:07

I don't drive and many years ago my passport had expired so it was very difficult to provide identification so I got a new passport just for that. Luckily I did also need to travel later on.

Theoddbird Sun 24-Dec-17 12:28:16

Having a blue passport might tempt me to renew mine... I haven't been abroad in years and detested the red one.

jura2 Sun 24-Dec-17 12:33:05

Your prerogative of course- but would you mind why you 'detested the (red) Burgundy one?

My second passport (or is it my first) is bright RED.

Milly Sun 24-Dec-17 12:40:58

Like Vampirequeen I don't have a passport and wonder what would happen if I was required to show it at some point. I do have a driving licence, which has details of date of birth etc so hopefully that would do, but what if I have to give up driving (82) what happens to me then.

Jaycee5 Sun 24-Dec-17 12:45:54

Kim19 The old one was slightly larger and had a hard cover.

jura2 Sun 24-Dec-17 12:50:40

Just heard that when the EU countries passport contracts run-out around 2020, they will all change to

BLUE

to match the EU logo. Hurrah (this made my day - I know - silly but ...) smile

Peaseblossom Sun 24-Dec-17 12:52:31

I’m glad we are going to get our British passport back. I hated having a European one. I am British and was never European. I know many people who are also glad we are to be rid of it.

Tegan2 Sun 24-Dec-17 13:19:27

Great that it means having to queue everywhere, too#whatfun Or do many people think that if we wave a British Passport wherever we go people will get down on their knees and worship us hmm...

ElaineI Sun 24-Dec-17 13:45:07

Yes I still have a very old black one. Personally couldn't care less what colour it is. Current one has a few years to run anyway. I like purple though or rainbow colours!

BlueBelle Sun 24-Dec-17 14:18:45

Peaseblossom you may not like it but you are a European as U.K. is part of the continent of Europe We may not still be in the European Union after 2019 but you are still an European and having a blue, green, or rainbow coloured passport cover will not stop you being an European

Sheilasue Sun 24-Dec-17 14:27:21

Well when we get to the airport for a holiday we will be in a different queue to the other Eu countries because it will be blue again.
Thanks to all those people who didn’t want to remain.

Elrel Sun 24-Dec-17 14:35:44

Quite right BlueBelle - until we float off elsewhere the UK will remain geographically in Europe.
Anyone else like me with neither driving licence nor passport? Now that does sometimes make officialdom doubt my legal existence. Luckily I possess a birth certificate and, as I’m a home owner, utility bills. The PO hands over parcels after a glance at my debit card.

Eloethan Sun 24-Dec-17 14:41:55

For those who suggested this has been over-hyped because there are only a very few people who care what colour their passport is, I think some of the comments on here show that there are indeed a number of people who feel happy about the prospect of a blue passport. Strange.

BlueBelle Sun 24-Dec-17 14:51:12

Eloethan only three people on this thread have wanted their old blue back the vast majority couldn’t care less

Eloethan Sun 24-Dec-17 14:57:12

Yes, having looked at the thread again, you're right bluebelle. I suppose I was just surprised that anyone had strong feelings about it.

felice Sun 24-Dec-17 14:57:54

Living in mainland Europe I don't need a passport, I have my I.D.card which I can use if needed.
Not even sure if I will apply for a new U.K. one when mine expires in 2020.
I wish everyone a happy and healthy Christmas, and all good blessings for the New Year whatever it may bring.
Lang mae yer lum reek.

jura2 Sun 24-Dec-17 15:26:02

It is funny too that those who seem to care most are those who do not travel or intend to.

I remember the days when I had to queue in a massive queue at airports, whilst OH and baby were through instantly in the British/EU queue. I remember the days where if you wanted to work in the UK, you had to have a work permit in place beforehand, which meant it was impossible (unless you had a very privileged background) to come and work in the UK. I have friends who are married to non-EU citizens and cannot bring their spouse to live in the UK - which will soon apply to EU also. Some of you seem to have no idea what it was like before we joined the EU- and what it will be like again.

jura2 Sun 24-Dec-17 15:30:28

I can already see the headlines in the DM and the Sun - about the long queues and how the EU is punishing us and being vindictive, etc.