Gransnet forums

News & politics

Blue Passport

(121 Posts)
vampirequeen Sat 23-Dec-17 13:42:07

Some people are celebrating the 'return of their identity' because the UK Passport is changing back to blue. I don't have a passport. Does this mean that I don't have an identity? Do I actually exist? hmm

pollyperkins Thu 22-Mar-18 10:36:39

I have to admit that I wasnt keen on the burgundy passport at first but now I love them -much more cheerful and handier for fitting into pockets and bags. But Im not looking forward to joining the long non EU queues at airports or not using EHIC cards in Europe if ill. Stil think Brexit is a complete and unnecessary disaster. What exctly are we gaining?

varian Thu 22-Mar-18 10:55:29

The majority of those who voted in the North East, which had such a huge amount of EU funding, voted Leave in the referendum, like turkeys voting for Xmas.

It now looks likely that many De La Rue workers in Gateshead may lose their jobs thanks to this blue passport nonsense.

I feel very sorry for the De La Rue workers who had the good sense to vote Remain.

varian Thu 22-Mar-18 12:08:05

De La Rue share price has plumetted

Leading Brexiteer Priti Patel, who has called for free trade deals around the world, said the news was “a national humiliation”.

www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/de-la-rue-share-price-plummets-as-brexiteers-blue-passport-contract-goes-to-france-a3796491.html

The truth is the whole sorry brexit fiasco is a national humiliation.

Mamie Thu 22-Mar-18 12:26:40

Apparently the procurement rules would be the same under a trade deal and under WTO rules.

Smithy Thu 22-Mar-18 13:39:28

De la Rue has been a quite a major employer in our area for many years now, Varian. I think it's a shame they have been overlooked for this contract. We didn't all vote for Brexit, I didn't and know many who didn't, but too many i----s did sadly. In my personal experience most if not all didn't know what they were voting for.

mcem Thu 22-Mar-18 13:55:05

So cancel the order and stick with the burgundy covers and minimum change. That way the firm that's been producing them have everything set up and in place already. That's bound to cost less than starting from scratch just to get blue covers.
Between Leave voters and those who really don't care about the colour I'd guess there isn't majority support for the change!

Tegan2 Thu 22-Mar-18 13:58:23

I understand that things have to go to the cheapest tender due to EU ruling. But, this happened when Bombardier nearly went down in Derby, and I think things were turned around when it was realised that things like job losses could be factored in.

maryeliza54 Thu 22-Mar-18 14:07:14

I believe De La Rue has contracts with about 40 different countries for producing passports - if that’s true the balance is in our (UK) favour so can we really complain?

maryeliza54 Thu 22-Mar-18 14:10:05

www.theguardian.com/business/2018/mar/22/de-la-rue-the-british-money-maker-that-lost-uk-passport-contract

So it’s a pity that the jobs threatened are in the NE

durhamjen Thu 22-Mar-18 16:00:51

Brexiteers are quite happy that our trains, water and power companies are owned by other countries, but the passports can't be made in France.
How weird.
Do you think they will have "Made in EU" printed on them?

whitewave Thu 22-Mar-18 16:39:44

The reality of Brexit
pbs.twimg.com/media/DY59V5YXkAEPX93?format=jpg

varian Thu 22-Mar-18 17:21:17

The more accurate slogan for the Leave campaign would have been "Let's give up control"

jura2 Thu 22-Mar-18 19:38:02

oh the tragic irony of it all.

GillT57 Thu 22-Mar-18 23:31:11

I am not the slightest bit interested or concerned about the colour of my passport or who prints it. What I am concerned about is the future lengthy queues I will face at European airports as I stand in the 'others and aliens " lines. I am tempted to make a passport cover which proclaims I didn't bloody vote for this treat me as a EU citizen please

jura2 Fri 23-Mar-18 09:33:02

Same here GillT57 - and particularly so because I remember clearly, in pre EU days, having to do just that. OH and baby in the fast queue, and me with the 'aliens' - waiting 4 times as long, with baby crying because she needed feeding.

One reason why I did decide to become naturalised- as doing so twice made us very aware I'd always be treated differently, in all sorts of ways.

Tegan2 Fri 23-Mar-18 12:02:07

So; brexiters weren't happy about maroon passports that were made in the UK and now they're unhappy about blue passports made in France. Perhaps they need to be relabelled 'bremoaners'.....

Deedaa Fri 23-Mar-18 23:14:49

The main reason SiL got British citizenship was because he was fed up with queuing at European airports while the rest of us sailed through. We've now reached a point where DD won't let him give up his American citizenship in case the current fiasco leaves their sons needing dual nationality. At the same time DS hasn't ruled out moving to Hungary with his Hungarian girlfriend.

durhamjen Fri 23-Mar-18 23:55:35

newsthump.com/2018/03/22/outraged-brexiters-vow-to-craft-their-own-new-blue-passports-out-of-wetherspoons-beer-mats/

maryeliza54 Sat 24-Mar-18 07:32:36

Tegan ????

durhamjen Sat 24-Mar-18 11:22:01

Hope the beer mats were made in the UK!