Gransnet forums

News & politics

Blue Passport

(121 Posts)
vampirequeen Sat 23-Dec-17 13:42:07

Some people are celebrating the 'return of their identity' because the UK Passport is changing back to blue. I don't have a passport. Does this mean that I don't have an identity? Do I actually exist? hmm

varian Thu 22-Mar-18 08:26:10

France does not allow their passports to be made abroad as they regard it as a matter of national security.

varian Thu 22-Mar-18 08:20:31

It has just been announced that the new blue passports will not be made by the Gateshead factory of De La Rue, who make our existing passports. The contract has been awarded to a French company.

Jalima1108 Sat 06-Jan-18 22:37:41

shug
when my DM was expecting me my DB said they 'didn't want a shuggy girl'
And a 'dinger' was a naughty child - 'You little dinger' with a hard 'g'.

haporthrosie Sat 06-Jan-18 02:24:22

Jura and Jalima, sorry I haven't been on the internet much and have only just seen your wonderful responses! Lol! I knew the Potteries were a world unto themselves but I didn't know to what extent. Really interesting. I love the Potteries accent and dialect. My father used to call me and Mum 'shug' which always made me wonder if there's Potteries background somewhere in the family that I haven't been able to find. Apart from him I've never heard anyone outside the Potteries say that. Jalima, I agree about pronunciation of 'book' and 'look.' No one goes for a swim in a pul or sits on a stul!

Jalima1108 Wed 27-Dec-17 17:56:57

We still have our old ones, blue and red tchgrin

Oh dear, must sort out this house and declutter.

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 27-Dec-17 01:53:31

jura yes, I was thinking about something like if someone lived in France and their passport ran out. Then they decided to go back to the UK for a visit for some reason. I wonder if they could get back into the UK with an expired passport! They certainly wouldn't be able to get back out again! I know most people are likely to travel and keep their passport current but my scenario must happen! tchgrin

PS I like my burgundy passport even if it has expired. tchwink

Jalima1108 Tue 26-Dec-17 23:13:44

Well, that's how they are spelt grin - it's double 'o' not 'u'
whereas 'duck' and 'bus' are pronounced as they should be.

jura2 Tue 26-Dec-17 20:34:38

Jalima, the char lady, the lovely Margaret, used to come to my office and teach me t speak proper Potteries- and so did the other secretaries. They thought it was just hilarious - say it, say it- they would say, and practically roll on the floor

Ooo silly booogar - have a looouk in the booouk

BlueBelle Tue 26-Dec-17 20:06:59

Jalima that’s what I thought in fact it never entered my head that I might not be able to travel on a maroon one as long as it was a renewed one
I shall buy a cover with the euro stars on anyway some of us like belonging to our continent as well as our country and aren’t so xenophobic as others

Jalima1108 Tue 26-Dec-17 19:58:46

although some have been known to venture further afield - some of my wider family emigrated to Canada (some of them still kept their Potteries accent though)!

jura2 Tue 26-Dec-17 18:21:48

haporthrosie - I used to live in the Potteries. People went abroad if they travelled from Tunstall to Hanley, or Stoke to Newcastle-u-Lyme (which many never went to as it was considered very posh- lol, especially by folk from Burslem (my colleagues in the engineering firm where I worked)...

Jalima1108 Tue 26-Dec-17 18:09:41

I found it and will now need to renew it.

Bluebelle I am assuming that my new passport will be burgundy and that it should see me through the next ten years (all being well) but the EU part of it will be obsolete after Brexit.
If we are required to change to blue passports I will expect the Government to pay - there would be an outcry if we have to fork out for another one.

jura2 Tue 26-Dec-17 11:31:51

Wilmaknickersfit- thinking about it- I cannot imagine any expat (immigrant) in France or EU not keeping passport up to date. All the ones I know do like travelling, but especially like to return to UK regularly to visit family or to make use of the NHS.

petra Tue 26-Dec-17 10:18:58

My thoughts exactly, Beau

Beau Tue 26-Dec-17 07:14:32

The colour is in a way irrelevant but the marvellous part is that it won't say 'European Union' anywhere on the cover.

BlueBelle Tue 26-Dec-17 06:21:35

MOnica If you renew your maroon passport before the cut off date will you keep it for ten years( which is what I intend doing) or will you then have to buy another when the cut off date arrives as my family tell me they think if I renew before the cut off date then I will have wasted my money and have to buy another blue one after the cut off date as the maroon one will not be accepted for ten years after we have left ?

By the way I ve never had a blue passport my old one is totally black

haporthrosie Tue 26-Dec-17 00:53:14

Blast posted too soon meant to add tchsmile !

haporthrosie Tue 26-Dec-17 00:51:04

This really has nothing to do with the post, but I couldn't help remembering two lovely Welsh friends who were so happy about 'going abroad for their holidays.' 'We've never been abroad! So exciting, isn't it?' 'Oh how marvelous, where are you going?' I asked.

Wait for it ... 'England!' they chorused, beaming from ear to ear with glee and absolutely no irony. Their innocence was so touching - even though it meant a thoroughly bitten tongue on my part as I wouldn't have crushed their joy for worlds!

Hope everyone's having a lovely Christmas with the colours of your choice

M0nica Mon 25-Dec-17 22:57:19

I am very pleased that my passport is up for renewal next years so that I will have a little red passport for the next ten years. Small practical and bendable.

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 25-Dec-17 20:02:59

Thanks suzie and jura. So does it have to be a current passport or can it be the one you had when you first moved from the UK?

Tegan2 Mon 25-Dec-17 14:08:05

grin...

Nelliemoser Mon 25-Dec-17 12:12:04

This says a lot. Why on earth are people asking to spend so much money on changing the colour of of a passport.

jura2 Mon 25-Dec-17 09:46:15

Their 'Carte de Séjour' should actually be ok.

jura2 Mon 25-Dec-17 09:43:40

ID cards are the norm throughout Europe- Switzerland included. So all have an ID card, and some have a passport.
British citizens living in France, unless they have taken French nationality, can't have either- and have, by Law, to always have ID with them- so have to carry their passport.

suzied Mon 25-Dec-17 06:02:40

Many EU countries have ID cards. In Italy you are supposed to carry it around with you. Once we were asked for ID in Italy by the police when we were with my brother( who lives there) in a random check. We didn’t have anything, but my OH showed them his Oyster card. They weren’t impressed.