Gransnet forums

News & politics

Blue Passport

(120 Posts)
Jaycee5 Sun 24-Dec-17 09:53:08

It has been so long since I travelled that I still have a passport issued in 1992 and it is black. The ink used is blue - but when did we actually have blue passports?
I don't have a current passport and since the new anti-money laundering rules I don't exist for some purposes (I would if I had a driving licence) and it would cause problems if I wanted to open a bank account and probably other financial things.

sarahellenwhitney Sun 24-Dec-17 09:52:48

vampire queen
Nothing to stop you getting yourself a passport providing you can produce the legal requirements.
Doubt you will be given a choice of colourgrin

SillyNanny321 Sun 24-Dec-17 09:50:31

Sounds like i am a rarity in that i have never had passport & at my age i will not need one so do not care what colour the passport is! Other things to worry about!

Neilspurgeon0 Sun 24-Dec-17 09:39:18

Hello vamps, anyone going to kiss you on Christmas Day? If so you definitely exist for that some one, hopefully lots of some ones.

You don’t need a passport to exist - but you do need some one to lift you from existence to life.

Just in case here are a few for practice, try sharing them, the passport question will very soon become much less of a burning issue I promise

wink [kiss] blush

XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxX

lemongrove Sun 24-Dec-17 09:09:11

I agree Baggs ( but it makes some happy to go on about it.)

Baggs Sun 24-Dec-17 08:06:07

I think this has been overhyped in the media. I suspect that the number of people who actually care about the colour of their passport covers is very small.

BlueBelle Sun 24-Dec-17 04:50:12

No idea why they talk about blue passports I ve still got my first passport and it’s completely black not navy not dark blue but pure black it has two cut outs with hand written name and passport number
I haven’t a care in the world what colour my passport is and I ll get a nice European cover for it in fact I probably won’t have to lose mine as it needs renewing next year so if I do that beginning of the year instead of end I should get a maroon one and that ll last me 10 years won’t need another at my age

absent Sun 24-Dec-17 04:34:02

It's a legal identity document. It is not a symbol of proud British citizenship or of anything else. The colour is totally irrelevant and utterly unimportant. The price, on the other hand, is probably horrendous.

Chewbacca Sat 23-Dec-17 23:59:05

Hasn't James Caan just admitted that his tweet about the new passports costing £500million was fake news?

Eloethan Sat 23-Dec-17 23:51:42

I couldn't care less what colour it is and am amazed that some people are rejoicing about such a trivial matter.

Jalima1108 Sat 23-Dec-17 23:20:42

I think they are the only members of the EU with blue passports.

Jalima1108 Sat 23-Dec-17 23:19:19

Yes, in 2013 (10 years after applying) they became the 28th member of the EU.

lemongrove Sat 23-Dec-17 22:29:54

Is Croatia a full member of the EU yet though?

jura2 Sat 23-Dec-17 22:28:19

oh we like our blue family passport- for the cats and the dogs ;)

Moocow Sat 23-Dec-17 15:28:59

It's real life situations like that, silverlinings, that don't reach the headlines enough, and makes it seem very silly to care what colour a passport is? The amount of money that must be spent in paying hours upon hours to work it all out is very depressing.

paddyann Sat 23-Dec-17 15:27:13

there was never any reason it was changed to burgandy....Croatia still has its blue passports and I'm sure there will be other countries too that didn't change

silverlining48 Sat 23-Dec-17 15:09:31

Think they are hoping this will displace concerns about what or not is going on with the negotiations.
Personally i dont mind what colour my passport is, apparently blue was decided by default anyway when we had the old style ones.
There was someone on any answers today whose wife needs dialysis which up to now is provided freely for her if they are away on holiday. This will stop and increase substantially the cost to anyone with health problems. I am sadder that the ehip ( old e111) will be no more.

eazybee Sat 23-Dec-17 14:50:35

Well, I am sorry it is not coming in until 2019. Mine needs renewing, and I would much prefer it to be blue.

Cold Sat 23-Dec-17 13:48:25

There is already a big thread on the new blues
www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics/1243496-More-Brexit-lunacy

vampirequeen Sat 23-Dec-17 13:42:07

Some people are celebrating the 'return of their identity' because the UK Passport is changing back to blue. I don't have a passport. Does this mean that I don't have an identity? Do I actually exist? hmm