Gransnet forums

News & politics

Has Blair finally lost it?

(53 Posts)
jollyg Thu 04-Jan-18 13:15:50

Read the transcript of TB on Today, also saw him on the 1pm news!

He looks demented.

Maybe Cherie has finally seen the light.

nigglynellie Thu 04-Jan-18 14:04:20

If the referendum had come out for remain, no matter how small the margin, it would have been fine, (which of course it would) but because it came out for leave, it curiously isn't fine! confused TB, needs to understand that the more he trys to manipulate another referendum in order to get the result reversed, or persuade Labour to revoke the result in another election, the more people will dig their heels in to resist the ramblings of this most unpopular man. Perhaps he's simply unaware of how unpopular he is?!!

Jane10 Thu 04-Jan-18 14:06:53

Yes. He and David Cameron should crawl away together and keep quiet.

petra Thu 04-Jan-18 14:12:03

I get a great deal of joy knowing how angry and frustrated he must be.?

paddyann Thu 04-Jan-18 14:15:44

if it had been remain ...there would have been no change of circumstances so no need for PLANS ...however with the leave vote and a government who are running around like headless chickens and no idea of how we will deal with no trade deals etc a second referendum would be a good idea.

vampirequeen Thu 04-Jan-18 14:18:36

The media need to stop treating him as if he's a major public figure. He is an ex Prime Minister. Ex being the operative word. His day is over. He has no power to change anything.

Devorgilla Thu 04-Jan-18 15:09:32

Being unpopular does not make you wrong. People are so hung up on the Iraq War that they fail to see the good things that came out of the Blair years. If the NHS was still getting the money he and Brown poured in we would not be in the state we are today. Only time will tell who got the Brexit vote right but I'm willing to bet Blair gets pretty close.

OldMeg Thu 04-Jan-18 15:17:29

Blair lost it? He never had it in the first place IMO.

OldMeg Thu 04-Jan-18 15:24:12

Blair poured a lot of money into Education too (‘Education, Education, Educatiin’) but it wasn’t accompanied by a sustainability plan.

Don’t get me wrong, the NHS, Education and Public Services DO need funding and funding well and this government is determined to strip them to the bone and treat those delivering them disgracefully.

BUT Blair was only in it for the short term and his own aggrandising. He didn’t really care how things panned out in th long run so long as he had his pension and opportunities for self promotion.

Scribbles Thu 04-Jan-18 15:36:03

Re the OP, I've thought for a while that BLiar looks quite demented. I'd not be surprised if he came over all David Icke and started spouting gibberish about being here for a higher purpose, etc.

kittylester Thu 04-Jan-18 15:47:48

I'd argue with the 'finally' bit of the OP. He lost it a good while ago - if, indeed, he ever had it!

I agree with scribbles he has looked quite demented for a good long time.

yggdrasil Thu 04-Jan-18 16:39:43

I don't like Blair and what he stood for, but he has a point re Brexit. And I'd be demented if I had to answer the questions John Humphries was asking. Does JH ever listen to the answers he is given or just go along with his own agenda?

whitewave Thu 04-Jan-18 16:41:42

I am beginning to think that JH is the BBCs Brexit campaigner.

Luckygirl Thu 04-Jan-18 17:43:08

He has looked a bit wild-eyed for a while. He is 5 years younger than I am but looks `10 years older - he really has not aged well.

NotTooOld Thu 04-Jan-18 18:36:48

I thought JH wiped the floor with TB this morning. Actually felt a bit sorry for TB although I agree he should stay under his stone and keep quiet.

Anniebach Thu 04-Jan-18 18:45:19

Does the criticism of Blair giving his opinion differ from any ex minister, party member giving their Opinion?

NotTooOld Thu 04-Jan-18 18:50:51

No, Annie. He's entitled to his opinion although I think I'm right in saying the Labour party do not particularly want to hear it.

Anniebach Thu 04-Jan-18 19:13:16

I thought some party members wanted to fight brexit every step of the way.

Chewbacca Thu 04-Jan-18 19:17:48

Nothing sadder than an ex PM who hasn't got the hang of the fact that he doesn't have any influence anymore; or that his opinions are just that, opinions, and nothing more. I too wish he would crawl back under his stone, along with Cameron, and keep quiet.

trisher Thu 04-Jan-18 19:18:26

Cherie was on Newsnight giving her views on the place of women today. Now that was scary. Maybe her and Tony are losing it together!

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 04-Jan-18 19:20:03

Some people in the Labour Party will be very glad to hear him say it.

Why is he not accorded the same respect as other long serving Prime Ministers? Were they all so perfect?

I agree with Devorgilla on this.

Many people are too quick to dismiss Blair because of the Iraq war. It might dominate his legacy, but he shouldn't be defined solely on the low point of his career.

whitewave Thu 04-Jan-18 19:21:15

I am inclined to agree wilm

lemongrove Thu 04-Jan-18 19:23:47

Some ex PM’s cannot stay out of the limelight for long, and yes, he looks and sounds demented!

Chewbacca Thu 04-Jan-18 19:57:54

Just listened to the full recording of the TB & JH interview. I didnt think that JH was overbearing or aggressive; but i did think that TB sounded completely out of his depth and was struggling to make a coherent argument. He seems to want to keep having elections and referendums until he gets the result that he thinks is the right one. Same old TB then.

Jalima1108 Thu 04-Jan-18 20:06:57

If the NHS was still getting the money he and Brown poured in we would not be in the state we are today
Try telling that to the relatives of victims of the Stafford Hospital scandal Devorgilla
angry

Yes, I think Blair has looked rather demented for quite a long while, I did wonder if he had had a face lift which had gone wrong to give him that strange look?