Gransnet forums

News & politics

Meet Stacey

(54 Posts)
Jalima1108 Thu 11-Jan-18 18:21:47

Stacey is a rough sleeper in Bristol. She and others have been told to remove their belongings from the streets of Bristol or have them confiscated by Bristol Waste, a subsidiary of Bristol City Council.

www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/rough-sleepers-bristol-city-centre-1040880

Now, if someone leaves bags around then I can understand them being removed (a security risk). But if Stacey has all her possessions next to her can anyone threaten to take them?

Bristol has a Labour Council and a Labour Mayor.
Why are they not doing more?

Anniebach Fri 12-Jan-18 16:44:09

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/31/arresting-beggars-last-resort-prosecutions-fall-40-per-cent/

M0nica Fri 12-Jan-18 16:51:09

It often takes many more than one visit to persuade a rough sleeper to accept help. The idea that a charity can simply sends its staff to offer sleepers alternative and positive options. and, bingo, the problem is solved is naive in the extreme. Yes, some people are on the streets because of rent arrears, unemployment, wife/husband/parents/friends chucking them out and they will jump at a chance to get a roof over their head and get back into normal life, but as I said before many homeless people are mentally ill or have deep psychological problems or because of these problems have addictions and they have behavioural and other challenging behaviours that make helping them and getting them off the streets very slow and difficult process.

Anniebach Fri 12-Jan-18 17:43:52

I agree MOnica, and it cannot be solved by offering everyone on the streets a warm room, those with addictions will need rehab which means not only staff with knowledge of addiction but psychiatrists and nurses .