Gransnet forums

News & politics

UKIP, EDL, BNP .... what will happen when Brexit falls apart?

(146 Posts)
jura2 Mon 15-Jan-18 15:04:35

We can mock and laugh, and also feel sorry for some of the people whose comments in TV and newspaper interviews, and rants in streets or public transport- often showing very poor level of education and understanding - but they will be dangerous- and Farage is egging them on?!

Maggiemaybe Tue 16-Jan-18 11:31:13

I’m a remainer, but find the constant talking down of the country by some who shared my vote very tiresome. We are not a country of rabid racists, and it remains to be seen how our economy fares after Brexit. I’m apprehensive about many things, but we can only wait and see. One of the jolly old Guardian columnists (I’m a loyal reader, for my sins) recently wrote that we’d better get used to English sparkling wine, as we probably won’t be able to get champagne and prosecco after 2019, boo hoo. Really? And how are the French and Italian producers going to replace this huge export market, possibly their biggest? British sparkling wine is very good, though - I read recently that over 20% of fizz drunk at UK weddings is now produced here.

whitewave Tue 16-Jan-18 11:52:54

We usually have English “Champagne” for dos like weddings.

The Camel Valley “Champagne” is delicious and highly recommended.

As an aside according to Prof. Whitman, I noticed that this utterly incompetent government fails to secure and preserve any geographical indicators in the CETA arrangement.

I wonder if the producers are aware?

jura2 Tue 16-Jan-18 12:48:46

Maggiemaybe: 'We are not a country of rabid racists,'

I totally agree. You'll find actually that most people from abroad who came to live in the UK, actually came because it is not. Me included. The open, tolerant attitude of the very diverse Brits is what I loved- and I know most of my foreign friends in the UK. And as things are a-changing- and the attitudes of a few seems to have been unleashed by Brexit- the reason why so many are leaving, and so few are applying to replace them.

Small, bitter, angry, uneducated minorities can turn very dangerous- especially if manipulated and pushed by a few clever but twisted 'leaders'. It has happened many a time before- should be not learn from the past- and from other countries at the present time?

lemongrove Tue 16-Jan-18 14:40:14

Exactly terriBull and Maggiemaybe....good posts.

I don’t believe jura that things are ‘a changing’ or that there are more than usual minorities who are likely to present a problem.
The only angry, bitter ( and let’s leave education out of it shall we) minority I see are Remoaners.
We are not ‘other countries’ and are the most tolerant nation in Europe.

kittylester Tue 16-Jan-18 14:59:35

What lemon said.

jura2 Tue 16-Jan-18 15:21:37

We all know stats can be manipulated- but anyone who does not accept that since Brexit racist attacks, be they verbal, physical, bullying or otherwise, have not risen significantly and now seem by many to be 'acceptable' - really have their head in the sand.

I sincerely hope that the UK will never fall into the trap other countries fell in with the rise of nationalism turning into racism and worse. I sincerely do - but there is perhaps something really, lets say, 'arrogant' in saying that the UK is so superior and far beyond any risk of such.

I'd say it can happen anywhere- with the right factors, and the right manipulators/leaders pushing the right buttons.

Everything crossed - but the rise of attacks, virulent and quite violent at times - is concerning. Should the economy dip and unemployment rise ...

TerriBull Tue 16-Jan-18 17:52:07

When I was married to my first husband who came to this country to study accountancy back in the late seventies. I remember having a dread of a scenario where the National Front, being the fascists of the day, would somehow seize power and deport all foreign nationals. It was of course a paranoia perculiar to me, possibly borne out of growing up being part foreign myself. The NF were never a force to be reckoned with in the UK, neither were the dribble of ineffectual fools that followed in their footsteps, they just don't cut it here, quite unlike their French counterparts Sure we have small pockets of racism, show me a country that hasn't, but we don't have the tidal wave of rising nationalism and racism that exists, ironically in some of the very racially undiverse countries of our EU counterparts. Parts of mainland Europe have always had a greater propensity to be swayed by both extremes of the political spectrum. When Hitler was gaining momentum back in the '30s showering his followers with spittle during his hate fuelled speeches, we had wannabe Nazis, the Black Shirts but they petered out, fascism might have lurked for a while in Britain but it never took hold the way it did in parts of Europe, not because we are superior confused more I suspect because the majority prefer a middle ground.

jura2 Tue 16-Jan-18 19:23:22

I arrived in the UK in 1970- and never ever was scared of the National Front - and was always a massive admirer of the tolerance and diversity of the UK. That was put to the test when we moved to Leicester at the same time as the Ugandan Asians- but this settled down very quickly. I agree that so far, NF, BNP, EDL just seemed like isolated idiots.

I am surprised that I seem to be the only one concerned that, with the wrong people pushing the buttons- and Farage threatening 'war on our streets' - there is, sadly, potential for trouble if hard Brexit is not delivered. I hope not. Being concerned and saying there is potential for unpleasant trouble, does NOT mean I believe the UK is racist.

Looking at Eastern Europe, Austria, and indeed my own country, the German speaking part in particular - is very different. They have no history of colonisation - and therefore no history of immigration from afar.

France has many many parties of the left and the right and centre, and no First Past the Post system.

jura2 Tue 16-Jan-18 19:45:53

Even Wally has just said that right now on another thread.

durhamjen Tue 16-Jan-18 19:45:55

There might not be a UKIP soon. They have lost lots of members, and have no money in their coffers.
Farage cannot use his EU money to subsidise the party; he has had half of it taken away to repay the EU for misuse at the election.
They cannot find anyone who wants to lead them.
Hopefully in a year's time, Farage and UKIP will be nonentities, as well as wallies for what they espouse.

jura2 Tue 16-Jan-18 19:47:55

Some UKIP members will fade away, the wallies- but the others may well be tempted by the EDL and the BNP and others- a lot more dangerous and extreme.

Morgana Tue 16-Jan-18 23:17:31

I too am concerned that post Brexit, should the economy take a nose drive and jobs be lost etc etc, some people might be looking for scape goats. Who will they blame? Will this lead to people of colour/from other countries being blamed. I certainly hope not, but we should not be complacent.

whitewave Wed 17-Jan-18 09:10:42

dj talking about cash, The fraudster is holding a conference and it did cross my mind where the money was coming from

Beau Wed 17-Jan-18 09:26:40

I will be joining the champagne drinkers on the great day - whether it's English or French fizz depends completely on the EU. If we walk away with no deal because of their blackmailing ways then it will be English, if they see sense it may be French ?

jura2 Wed 17-Jan-18 09:54:28

Thanks for your comment Morgana - I must say I am surprised not more here can see there could be a future problem. We all know that hate crime has risen massively in the last year.

Again, some here chose to distort what my thread was meant to say. I totally agree that the UK, so far, has proved to be hugely tolerant- and this one of the things I so loved about it.

The colonial past of the UK meant that immigration from Indian and the West Indies after WW2 was a 'natural progression' (remember, they were invited- as we needed them)- same in France- but not for the rest of Europe which did not have strong links to Colonies.

I sincerely hope my concerns shown here will not materialise- as the UK has been indeed, the most tolerant and open so far (much much more so than France- where 2nd, 3rd, 4th generation FRENCH kids of North African origin are still treated very poorly).

Morgana Wed 17-Jan-18 17:37:58

Heads in the sand ( or elsewhere!!!!) Jura

lemongrove Wed 17-Jan-18 19:47:01

Rather rude Morgana
Why look for trouble in our country? How exactly will ‘not being complacent’ help?
Farage says a lot of things, just for effect mainly.

Maggiemaybe Thu 18-Jan-18 11:04:05

Last time I looked my head was screwed on right. Which is why I don’t engage with playground insults. smile

varian Thu 18-Jan-18 17:13:18

The number of angry brexiters who appear in the audience of QT and on phone-ins, shouting and thretening, is I think a factor in the timid behaviour of many Tory and Labour MPs.

They are frightened of the power of the right-wing tabloids with their headlines "enemies of the people" and "crush the sabotuers" and believe that they could incite civil unrest.

That is why so many have caved in and will not stand up for their true belief that remaining in the EU is in the best interests of our country. They are allowing ignorant bullying to prevail.

Morgana Thu 18-Jan-18 17:48:43

None of us knows how the whole Brexit saga will play out. But I think the concern here is that any negative outcomes could be blamed on our inhabitants who originated elsewhere. Let's face it racist incidents have risen already, the rent a mob pro Brexit people will not take any blame themselves and our racist newspapers will blame 'immigrants'. 'Rivers of blood'? I hope not.

Day6 Thu 18-Jan-18 18:15:56

"I am concerned that people like Farage and others- are getting ready to stir trouble - by manipulating those who will be very angry if Brexit does not happen."

Get real. OF COURSE people, millions of them, will be extremely angry if Brexit doesn't happen.

What a strange OP. People all across the country protest for various reasons, about various things. We are allowed to protest, thankfully. What is your problem?

Just a reminder. We had a referendum a while ago you know, and the result was that we would leave the EU. All those eligible to vote could have a say - remain or leave. Those who wanted to leave won. Those who wanted to remain lost. Have you forgotten that?

Ever since the referendum most papers have speculated that there would be a massive demonstration of bad will if the Government did not deliver Brexit and welshed on the deal. That's not news. Heaven help us all if we cock up our exit from the EU.

You seem to think that just the knuckle-draggers of the left and right are the 'angry' types we should be afraid of.

It's patronising to assume as you say jura "We can mock and laugh, and also feel sorry for some of the people whose comments in TV and newspaper interviews, and rants in streets or public transport- often showing very poor level of education and understanding - but they will be dangerous." Once again you a re perpetuating the myth that only lame brains wanted to leave the EU. It's disgraceful.

Not everyone is politically active, not everyone voices their concerns, many Gransnetters do not like political threads, so do not overlook a huge swathe of good, sensible, decent people, many of whom ate highly educated who expect the Govenrment to deliver on Brexit.

If Corbyn had been PM he'd have had the SAME MANDATE.

This is a horrid post painting a picture of violence by Leave voters. (I fear the aggression and violence of the left much more!) I have never been violent towards others in my life, but yes, like the majority of people in the UK who voted to leave the EU, I expect the government to deliver. And it will.

Get used to the idea.

durhamjen Thu 18-Jan-18 18:25:24

Farage has said there should be another referendum. You disagree with your leader, do you?

Day6 Thu 18-Jan-18 18:35:58

What a strange question DJ

Is Farage anyone's leader DJ? If YOU voted for him he is yours I suppose but you are nastily implying those who wanted to leave are UKIP supporters. A nasty left wing smear and SO obvious.

Many Labour voters wanted to leave too, there is a Labour Leave campaign and the sainted Jeremy Corbyn is a well known Eurosceptic. He has that in common with Farage.

jura2 Thu 18-Jan-18 18:42:50

Day6- there are ways and ways of protesting. 1000s of remainers have protested peacefully and got hardly any tv/press time.

People voted based on lies and more lies- and you know that as well as I do.

You also know full well my concern is not about Brexiters in general, but a small, angry and at times violent and racist mob- the EDL and BNP mainly- who are currently threatening riots and violence.

Day6 Thu 18-Jan-18 18:59:06

"people whose comments in TV and newspaper interviews, and rants in streets or public transport- often showing very poor level of education and understanding - but they will be dangerous."

Well, you'd better put them behind bars in a zoo and sedate or gag them. We can all gawp and snigger then, can't we? It wouldn't do to have such awful people on the streets. While we are at it -let's take away their voting rights too.

As for riots, TV presenters usually interview middle aged ladies in headscarves in a market, people on the pavement going about their business in their lunch hours.....and they speak from their hearts. Whether they are politically correct enough for you or educated enough for you or not is your problem.
Very few people who voted to leave hold extreme or racist views. How often do we see gatherings of nationalist parties in the UK? Hardly ever. They are minority groups. Nationalist groups are more common on the continent, ironically.

I cannot believe how the remainers/the left portray people they supposedly champion.

People with poor levels of education exist - and are usually the darlings of the left. The left, who bleat that they have a monopoly on compassion (they don't) will tell you they fight for them. Except they don't - when they don't vote in the same way as the liberal middle class elite in their leafy suburbs who want to remain in the EU. Then they become intolerable and to be feared. "Dangerous" even, like a sub-species.

Such despicable 'remain'/left wing hypocrisy here. This thread stinks.