Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Bayeux Tapestry

(106 Posts)
jura2 Wed 17-Jan-18 19:31:26

Was Macron right to offer to lend it to us.It would be great for it to be exposed in Hastings- but surely it is far too old and delicate to be transported- and should stay where it is.

I do get annoyed though when people say it is about the French beating the Brits. It was about one group of immigrants living in Normandy, beating another group of related immigrants, living in England- Vikings, cousins.

jura2 Mon 22-Jan-18 09:25:47

Sorry MawBroon- but my comment was in response to newspapers, and lots of stuff on social media- to that effect.

W11girl Fri 19-Jan-18 21:51:25

I don’t see a problem. It will obviously be handled by experts.

Jalima1108 Fri 19-Jan-18 19:12:05

Maw
grin
Classic!!

Welshwife Fri 19-Jan-18 18:34:05

We will be paying for the border Etc. whether or not we have the tapestry on show.

mrsmopp Fri 19-Jan-18 18:27:54

It's going to cost us a few bob isn't it? They're not exactly lending it to us free of charge are they ?

Elrel Fri 19-Jan-18 18:12:55

Elegran - I'm told Bredon Hill in Worcestershire is so good it's named three times. Apparently both bree and don mean 'hill'.

MawBroon Fri 19-Jan-18 17:54:13

If you look very carefully there is a tiny label with “Made in China. Dry Clean only” on the back.

durhamjen Fri 19-Jan-18 17:51:45

Now there's a good way to annoy Macron. I thought we were supposed to be trying to keep him sweet over Brexit.
We need him more than he needs us.

Jalima1108 Fri 19-Jan-18 17:43:52

they are still arguing discussing its origins.

We know the origins of our own replica:

www.bayeuxtapestry.org.uk/bayeuxinfo.htm

MaizieD Fri 19-Jan-18 17:37:27

Some experts say that it was never here in the first place...

sue421 Fri 19-Jan-18 17:33:22

Absolutely right - it needs to be back here! Hoping I can see it

whitewave Fri 19-Jan-18 17:31:25

We could disown all knowledge.

MawBroon Fri 19-Jan-18 17:25:02

Whitewave gringrin
But would we be obliged to take him back? ???

Elegran Fri 19-Jan-18 17:17:32

The ex- in expats is gives the clue, Saggi. They are no longer in their native land. If they were sent back to it they would be repatriated. Travel insurance often includes provision for repatriating you should you become ill while abroad.

Jalima1108 Fri 19-Jan-18 16:46:38

I can imagine that the curators are cursing Macron for making this offer. Has he really thought it through?
anno I just don't know if it will, in fact, be feasible. It would probably be cheaper for Macron to arrange some day trips for all of us who wish to go and see it in situ.
I meant that as a joke, but actually, it would be more practical.

Saggi I thought that the original 'English' were Anglo-Saxons from Germanic tribes that came over after the Romans had left (about the 5th century). Whilst the Romans were here I thought many native Britons spoke a type of Latin (Vulgar Latin) as well as their own language.

The British were pushed to the fringes, therefore the Welsh are descended from the British, not the English and Welsh is a Brittonic language, not derived from English.

Perhaps someone will know more (or different).

whitewave Fri 19-Jan-18 16:42:11

There has been a suggestion that as an exhibit of a bygone age we could exchange Jacob Rees-Mogg with the tapestry.

Jalima1108 Fri 19-Jan-18 16:34:47

He won that one, but then had to march to the South coast to fight William
And by that time they were worn out.

Lilyflower Fri 19-Jan-18 16:26:11

There is a cracking life size copy in Reading Museum which I saw just before Christmas for the first time.

pollyperkins Fri 19-Jan-18 15:52:02

We've seen it long ago when the children were small and very impressed. I bought a book about it with pictures and explanations but I guess some ideas have changed now. I'd like to see it again.

Camelotclub Fri 19-Jan-18 15:48:03

It'll need a good wash in Woolite before it comes over.

GadaboutGran Fri 19-Jan-18 15:27:06

I’ve taken the GC to see the copy in Reading Museum several times & we are usually the only people there. It was done by 35 skilled embroiderers in 1885. There is one big difference - they put pants on the naked men in one scene.
Wasn’t the original an early example of spinning the news for the locals & PR purposes? Norman fake news maybe.

Welshwife Fri 19-Jan-18 15:19:11

Sarah helen I think anyone going to Italy to look at the Mona Lisa would be in for a long search as it is on show in the Louvre museum in Paris. Been on show there since the late Eighteenth Century.

jura2 Fri 19-Jan-18 15:11:12

Well I've done it twice Saggi- at 19 I came to London for 6 months to learn English, working as a trilingual secretary for Beechams in London. Went back home for a short while- but future OH came to fetch me back- and stayed 40 years.

I always loved both countries- of birth and of adoption.
Came back to CH to look after very elderly parents when we retire (with British OH) - and truly feel we have 2 countries we call home. I see no issue at all with this, au contraire- and no divided loyalties either. Will probably go back to UK when very old to be near children and grandchildren- but only if Noel wins his appeal to Die with Dignity. Love both countries and yet never felt this 'patriotism' people talk about- or blind faith. I love both, and yet can be very critical of both too.

Saggi Fri 19-Jan-18 14:43:24

You are absolutely right Jura2. The’Normans’ ...were ‘Norse men’ and came from the north and were vikings, nothing to do with the French. The people fighting them in Hastings were rag- taggle bunch also imported into England. The true English had retreated into Cornwall and Wales by this time ...and that’s where you’ll find them today. Rest of us are from immigrant stock!!!! Funny how we shout about immigrants but when we go to live in someone else’s country were ‘ex-pats’ . Can anyone tell me what’s is ‘patriotic’ about leaving your country?!

jura2 Fri 19-Jan-18 14:03:51

Will definitely go to Reading to see the copy- thank you so much, I had no idea.