Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Bayeux Tapestry

(105 Posts)
jura2 Wed 17-Jan-18 19:31:26

Was Macron right to offer to lend it to us.It would be great for it to be exposed in Hastings- but surely it is far too old and delicate to be transported- and should stay where it is.

I do get annoyed though when people say it is about the French beating the Brits. It was about one group of immigrants living in Normandy, beating another group of related immigrants, living in England- Vikings, cousins.

MawBroon Wed 17-Jan-18 19:39:02

Who says so Jura2?
Never heard that

lemongrove Wed 17-Jan-18 19:39:04

If they are very careful ( am sure they will be) the transportation should be ok.
Yes, I agree the Normans hardly considered themselves as French.
I would like to see the tapestry.

lemongrove Wed 17-Jan-18 19:40:09

I think they had only been in Normandy for a hundred years Maw they were Viking stock.

petra Wed 17-Jan-18 19:46:35

I think if we can lift the Mary Rose from the sea bed we can move the Bayeux Tapestry.

Welshwife Wed 17-Jan-18 19:56:37

LG you could go and see the tapestry almost on a dat trip to Caen! - The tapestry is well displayed and lit and within walking distance is a lovely little restaurant for lunch.
Bayeux is a very pretty town.

lemongrove Wed 17-Jan-18 19:58:50

Not possible now Welshwife sadly.
If it comes to London I shall go and see it though.

Greyduster Wed 17-Jan-18 20:01:08

I know it’s not quite the same, but isn’t there a replica of it in Reading Museum?

jura2 Wed 17-Jan-18 20:09:10

Mawbroon- all the history books - Harold and Wilhelm were cousins - one group of Vikings had invaded England, another Normandy.

Greyduster- thanks, never knew that about Reading- interesting.I've never seen it- but was planning to go and see it in France. Personally, I feel it would be best not to disturb it. It would be easy to see it in Hastings or London, as both are on our regular drive up.

jura2 Wed 17-Jan-18 20:27:01

and all mixed up with the other immigrants from Germany, the Anglo-Saxons.

willsmadnan Wed 17-Jan-18 20:27:42

It would seem the tapestry will have to be moved somewhere as the museum is to undergo major refurbishment. So maybe Macron has an ulterior motive for his seeming act of generosity.

MawBroon Wed 17-Jan-18 20:38:20

I know that Normans is a corruption or version of Northmen.
It was the comment about the French beating the English that I take issue with. confused

MawBroon Wed 17-Jan-18 20:41:12

The Normans that invaded England in 1066 came from Normandy in Northern France. However, they were originally Vikings from Scandinavia. At the beginning of the tenth century, the French King, Charles the Simple, had given some land in the North of France to a Viking chief named Rollo

jura2 Wed 17-Jan-18 20:52:58

Oh I see- my comment is because this is always how the Battle of Hastings is portrayed.

jura2 Wed 17-Jan-18 20:55:37

The Battle of Hastings was fought on 14 October 1066 between the Norman-French army of William, the Duke of Normandy, and an English army under the Anglo-Saxon King Harold Godwinson, beginning the Norman conquest of England.

winterwhite Wed 17-Jan-18 21:05:43

Have also been lucky enough to see it in Bayeux. It's stunning, quite stunning. Not as high as I'd expected, in fact quite narrow. Think they'd have to bring its long display case and lighting with it. Even if reason is because they need a home for it while it's current space is being restored, Good for Macron.

MaizieD Wed 17-Jan-18 21:13:20

That's just the simplified version, jura!

The 'English' were a pretty mongrel bunch by 1066 anyway as they were a mix of Celtic (the 'original' Iron Age population), whatever blood came in with the Roman legionaries, who came from all over the Roman Empire, Germanic (and, I think, Gaulish) Saxons and Scandinavian Danes. And that, too, is a simplified version...

As I understand it the worst thing the Normans did was to introduce the Salic Law of inheritance (male line only) whereas women had been pretty much equal with men for inheritance in pre-Norman society.

I saw the tapestry many years ago at Bayeux. It was very nicely displayed but there were hordes of people there making it annoyingly slow to reach and then to view (because there was always someone obscuring the bit you really wanted to look at..). I thought the French explication of it was a tad triumphalist...

jura2 Wed 17-Jan-18 21:16:56

That's just the simplified version, jura!

lol this is what I tried to say in OP ;)

MawBroon Wed 17-Jan-18 21:24:36

Not a version I have come across Jura2, we must talk to different people.
Perhaps the fact that Paw was a keen and knowledgeable historian and with both a UK and a French education, had something to do with neither of us ever coming across the misconception you describe from anybody we know.

jura2 Wed 17-Jan-18 21:31:00

Sorry MawBroon- could you give me the version of events you understand, as I am confused:

MawBroon Wed 17-Jan-18 21:36:28

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc92zC0P0Iw

There you go!
(I recommend skipping the dreadful ads at the beginning)

MaizieD Wed 17-Jan-18 21:46:01

jura's version is the one we were taught at school, 1950s/60s, MawBroon sad

Bathsheba Wed 17-Jan-18 21:57:17

We were fortunate to see the tapestry several years ago in Bayeux. As someone else mentioned, it was surprisingly narrow - hadn't expected that, don't know why. However, as with all such famous exhibits, the visit was marred by the crowds of people jostling to get close to it, mainly a large group of French schoolchildren who were having the tapestry explained to them loudly by their group leader. In French of course.
I would love to see it again, though I don't harbour any hopes of it being any less crowded in Hastings or London sad

MawBroon Wed 17-Jan-18 22:03:17

I am NOT arguing with Jura’s version!
I am arguing that not everybody makes the mistake that “it is about the French beating the Brits”.
Isn’t that obvious?

Welshwife Wed 17-Jan-18 22:09:18

When we went to see the tapestry in Bayeux it was in March and we went in just after 2pm. We were the only people walking round the tapestry and had been given devices with all the info in English on them - the tapestry is in numbered panels so easy to follow.