Gransnet forums

News & politics

Really??

(93 Posts)
NfkDumpling Thu 18-Jan-18 06:59:41

The following popped up on my FB page this morning.
I usually ignore all this sort of stuff but this seems too extreme and rather nasty. It follows on from a spate of ones about pensioners being better off in prison which did the rounds and died a year or two back and has now risen from the dead. I've no idea where to go to check the facts. I would assume that someone has found a refugee family who have received this sort of help - and probably needed and deserved it - and assumed a blanket award for all refugees, legal or otherwise. But am I being too kind?

Pip Keeling
13 January 2017 ·
STATE PENSION - keep this going please

Read and pass on:
Dear Prime Minister
I wish to ask you a Question:- "Is This True?"
I refer to the Pension Reality Check.

Are you aware of the following ?

The British Government provides the following financial assistance:-

BRITISH OLD AGED PENSIONER
(bearing in mind they worked hard and paid their Income Tax and National
Insurance contributions to the British Government all their working life)
Weekly allowance: £106.00

IMMIGRANTS/REFUGEES LIVING IN BRITAIN
(No Income Tax and National Insurance contribution whatsoever)
Weekly allowance: £250.00

Weekly Spouse Allowance: £25.00

ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS/REFUGEES LIVING IN BRITAIN
Weekly Spouse Allowance: £225.00

Additional Weekly Hardship Allowance: £0.00

Additional Weekly Hardship Allowance: £100.00

A British old age pensioner is no less hard up than an illegal immigrant/refugee yet receives nothing

TOTAL YEARLY BENEFIT: £6,000

TOTAL YEARLY BENEFIT: £29,900

Please read all and then forward to all your contacts so that we can lobby for a decent state pension.
After all, the average pensioner has paid taxes and contributed to the growth of this country for the last 40 to 60 years.
Sad isn't it? Surely it's about time we put our own people first.

durhamjen Thu 18-Jan-18 12:42:30

What is really bad is that refugees and asylum seekers get an extra £1.75 a week in six years.
I find that quite appalling considering that their subsistence is for buying food, etc.

durhamjen Thu 18-Jan-18 12:51:51

In comparison my state pension has risen over £25.

GracesGranMK2 Thu 18-Jan-18 12:54:43

I don't know petra - why did they? Where, please tell me (other than Bridgit's most recent post) has anyone attacked posters rather than the content of the post?

janeainsworth Thu 18-Jan-18 12:57:30

Posting something on Gransnet isn't quite the same as posting on FB Gracesgran.
I think you're being unfair to nfk.
The information on this thread is restricted to people who actually read the thread, and as you can see all those who have responded so far don't condone the original message and recognise it for what it is.
But FB is different. The OP will be seen by that person's 'friends' whether they want to see it or not.
Then it will be seen by the 'friends' of anyone who comments on the OP.
Then if they comment, it will be seen by all their 'friends' as well.
That's how things go viral.
The only way anything on GN could go viral is if GNHQ post a link on their FB page or Twitter.
Hopefully they'll have more sense than to do that.

The wider question is whether social media should be more tightly regulated to prevent the spread of fake news and abusive posts.

jura2 Thu 18-Jan-18 13:05:17

good post jane re FB. However, if the 'friend' posts on a closed group, their friends who are not in that closed group can't see those posts. Or can they?

GracesGranMK2 Thu 18-Jan-18 13:05:36

Why am I being unfair janeainsworth? I am sure WMKF is a very nice person. I am not saying anything about her personally. What I am saying is repeating rubbish spreads it. That is my opinion.

The information on this thread is in no way limited. Anyone can read it and if it becomes a thread on FB even more people can read it and share it, and reshare it.

I do not want to be associated with such views so have pointed out what I think of them. I have not attributed them to WMKF or her friend but I do not think repeating them helps. That is my opinion. Am I not allowed to post it?

I also believe that by posting it WMKF did not get an answer to her question in many cases so really, what purpose did it serve?

Nonnie Thu 18-Jan-18 13:05:43

jane you are mistaken. My Fb is set up so that only my friends can see what I post. It depends on how you set up your privacy settings.

durhamjen Thu 18-Jan-18 13:22:19

Surely anyone can go on GN facebook and link back to the thread. Once on GN they can look at any thread on GN that takes their fancy.

janeainsworth Thu 18-Jan-18 13:25:18

Nonnie I agree that only your friends see what you post as your status.
But I think that if one of your friends posted a comment on a Britain First post, you would see both your friend's comment and Britain First's OP.
If you then posted a comment, that would be seen by everyone who sees Britain First's OP.
You can control who sees your own OPs, but not comments you make on other people's.
Gracesgran I can't speak for NFK but I think whether it was her intention or not, the thread has served a purpose in alerting people about being careful about re-posting things on social media.

MissAdventure Thu 18-Jan-18 13:27:23

What will someone see if they look at the thread?
There isn't anything racist apart from what was copied, with what was a discussion about how these so called 'facts' had done the rounds of social media before.
I dont see why anyone would need to question why it had been posted, because dumpling explained why. I don't see that her friend could be judged as not nice, because again, dumpling explained that her friend tends to jump onto any passing bandwagon with questioning it.

durhamjen Thu 18-Jan-18 13:28:36

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jan/17/pakistani-humanist-denied-uk-asylum-after-failing-to-identify-plato

Much more important.

janeainsworth Thu 18-Jan-18 14:05:53

Why don’t you start a separate thread dj?

durhamjen Thu 18-Jan-18 14:06:35

Trying to deflect from the aggro, jane.

lemongrove Thu 18-Jan-18 14:19:10

GGM2 you are talking of the wrong poster in any case, it was an OP by Nfk and not Wilma.
That’s just btw.
Nfk just read this whole sorry thread......you have been jumped on from a great height by the usual suspects.
There is no reason for anyone to be so unpleasant to the OP at all, she doesn’t agree with the messages and quite rightly, it’s a load of garbage that has been doing the rounds for a while.

NfkDumpling Thu 18-Jan-18 14:43:35

I put the whole thing on as, as you read down it sounds almost plausible - like the one about how much better off pensioners would be in prison than in a care home which is on it’s way around. Again. (Well, probably not plausible to any of you, but it is to a lot of people - even if they were to stop and wonder why the supposed income is just that little bit higher than any of them could ever hope to earn.). Easy to be sucked in if you’re afraid of people who don’t speak English. Several of my friends shared the prison being better than care homes one the first time around - and this one too. People who have given to Syrian refugee charities, who’re soft hearted generous and wouldn’t hurt a flea. But afraid. Afraid of change, the way the country - and world - is heading. Afraid of change.

I was upset that some misunderstood me and thought I was trying to promote racism, but it was my fault for not explaining myself properly.

It sounds easy to just in-friend this person, but in this case I can’t. And anyway, should we just unfriend - or try to point out what the post actually says? What it is. And how to do it without belittling or embarrassing. I needed facts. True facts to put to this person so she doesn’t share stuff like this again.

durhamjen Thu 18-Jan-18 15:04:27

I have tried to give you some facts, Nfk, like the fact that refugees and asylum seekers only get £37.50 a week now for subsistence allowance, a rise of £1.75 from six years ago.
I find that quite appalling.
Someone else has told you that illegal immigrants get nothing.

NfkDumpling Thu 18-Jan-18 15:16:18

I had guessed that illegal immigrants get nothing - other than, I would assume, bed and board in detention centres. Thanks for all the links. I now feel informed enough to stand on a soap box! In this particular case I have to tread carefully, but if I see anything coming from other directions I can now let fly!

durhamjen Thu 18-Jan-18 15:17:19

Good luck.

GracesGranMK2 Thu 18-Jan-18 16:21:33

There is no reason for anyone to be so unpleasant to the OP at all, she doesn’t agree with the messages and quite rightly, it’s a load of garbage that has been doing the rounds for a while.

No one was being unpleasant about the OP Lemons, just commenting on something she chose to post. You are only the second person I have seen attacking particular members although I calling people 'the usual suspects' is more likely to make people laugh than cry. These are grannies you are having a go atgrin

durhamjen Thu 18-Jan-18 19:48:30

This might have some bearing on how facebook can work.
I know some of you don't like skwawkbox or the Labour Party, but it's worth reading to find out how easy it is to smear people.

skwawkbox.org/2018/01/17/fawkes-displays-facebook-ignorance-to-smear-gwynne/

MaizieD Thu 18-Jan-18 20:15:06

Will someone explain to me how you can get added to public groups by someone other than ones self?

(I'm an entirely unsophisticated facebook user..)

janeainsworth Thu 18-Jan-18 20:28:42

It’s possible maizie.
I was added to a group by someone I knew, fortunately a fairly innocuous professional group.

janeainsworth Thu 18-Jan-18 20:30:16

However I’m not sure how anyone would not know they’d been added to a group.

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 18-Jan-18 20:35:51

GracesGran can I just repeat what lemongrove said. I didn't start this thread. It was me that posted the link to the page on fullfacts.org dealing with the information Nfk found on her Facebook page. She said she had no idea where to go to check the facts. I think you got the wrong end of the stick. smile

I do think personal remarks were made and I'm not surprised GNHQ posted.

durhamjen Thu 18-Jan-18 20:41:13

If they were very busy, jane, and did not have time to look at facebook all the time.
Why would someone check up to see if they'd been added to a group they didn't know about, as in the Andrew Gwynne example?