Gransnet forums

News & politics

Ken Dodd

(46 Posts)
mrsmopp Thu 18-Jan-18 11:11:22

Ken is in hospital with a severe chest infection. So sorry he is poorly. Wish him a full recovery so he can get back on stage and spread some Happiness.
Come on Ken! Get well soon!! ?

mrsmopp Tue 13-Mar-18 21:17:58

What about the broken biscuit repair works. And the words he invented - discomknockerated and tattifilarious? Pure imagination from a comic genius.
Don't forget his wonderful singing voice. His record Tears was the 3rd best selling single of the 60s decade. First and second places went to the Beatles.
The last of the great comics, no smut, no swearing - you could take your kids and your granny to see him. The Pride of Liverpool as he never left the city.

nanaK54 Mon 12-Mar-18 16:12:04

God bless Ken RIP

Mapleleaf Mon 12-Mar-18 14:39:59

I didn't see this thread when I started mine on the TV, radio and arts forum. Sorry for the repetition. I just thought the TV one was the place to post, but thinking about it, this news and politics one is equally valid. Never thought to check here first. I don't start threads very often, now I know why ! ?

Willow500 Mon 12-Mar-18 13:32:46

I met him once when he came to my college in Scarborough for some reason and he gave me his autograph. He was probably doing summer season there and my in-laws took us to one of his shows a few years later which was hilarious. I've never really been a fan of the tickling stick or the diddy men but he did make a lot of people laugh over his very long career and great that he married his partner just before the end.

Juggernaut Mon 12-Mar-18 13:21:37

I found Ken very funny, silly, clean funny, not having to resort to swearing or smut to get a laugh!
He did an enormous amount for charity, I know Wavertree School for the Blind and Alice Elliott School for the Deaf, both in Liverpool, were two of his favourites for donations.
However, he could, at times, be a thoroughly rude and obnoxious man, and yes I did know him personally. My DM was a teacher at Alice Elliott School, and I met him on many, many occasions.
However, he was the last of the great 'showmen' and as such is a huge loss.
If you've never been down the 'jam butty mines' you've never lived!
On local radio this morning, someone said, with reference to his habit of running over time at his shows, "Ken's funeral will be held on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday morning"! He'd have liked that comment!
Not directly connected, but when my DM was 11 years old, they lived in Knotty Ash for about 18 months as my DGF was manager of the 'Maypole Grocers' there.

NanKate Mon 12-Mar-18 13:01:30

On BBC Today there was an interview Garry the sports commentator had with Ken Dodd last year.

Garry ‘I came to see you when I was 10 years old’
Ken ‘Have you come to ask for your money back?’

????

KatyK Mon 12-Mar-18 10:24:16

There are two threads on this. I have just posted on the other one but will pop it on here too. We went to see him years ago and he was hilarious. He told lots of daft but very funny jokes and we had to leave before the end as the show was so long. One of my favourites is when he said he was walking down the street and a beautiful woman approached him and said 'excuse me handsome, could you tell me the way to the opticians?' RIP Ken

PamelaJ1 Mon 12-Mar-18 09:48:14

He was never my favourite but my husband loved him.
We sat through two of what my DH thought would be his last performances. That was years ago. We took sandwiches and a blanket in case we didn’t leave the theatre before daybreak!
He really was to be admired. He didn’t falter throughout the performance and never resorted to bad language to make the audience laugh.
RIP Ken.

henetha Mon 12-Mar-18 09:29:19

Dodgy finances or not, I loved him. He made me laugh.
And I think he was a lovely man in many ways.

glammanana Mon 12-Mar-18 09:24:43

Antonia We certainly will give him a good send off The City will virtually close down to honour him.

Alima Mon 12-Mar-18 09:16:16

Great day for knocking on the door of the Kremlin and saying “Is Len in.”

RIP Doddy.

Antonia Mon 12-Mar-18 09:13:52

He is up there with the greatest of them: Morecambe and Wise, Brucie, Tommy Cooper, Victoria Wood. RIP Ken, you will be remembered and missed. I hope Liverpool gives you a great send off.

Teetime Mon 12-Mar-18 09:11:44

I went to see Ken about 10 years ago so he was 80 then at the Westcliff Theatre Southend on sea. He was very funny in an coodd clean fun way but the show went on until 1am I was knackered but he wasn't. RIP Ken xx

glammanana Mon 12-Mar-18 08:56:41

What a sad loss to Liverpool what a Gentleman he was even though some slate him for his finances.
He married his long time partner 2 days ago after 40+ yrs together he will be sadly missed.RIP Ken

harrigran Mon 12-Mar-18 08:52:54

Not my taste but he made a lot of people laugh for a very long time.

Grandma70s Mon 12-Mar-18 08:50:45

His shows went on for hours. He was a true original, a one-off. I did find him funny, but I could never have sat through one of his live performances.

He was surprisingly intellectual, well-read and keen on classical music. I used to see him at Philharmonic concerts in Liverpool.

sodapop Mon 12-Mar-18 08:40:21

I was not a fan either but Ken Dodd did bring happiness to many people. I think he did quite a lot of charity work as well.
RIP

BlueBelle Mon 12-Mar-18 08:40:19

Agree not my taste either but he had a long and lively life and obviously did the right thing by marrying his long term partner two days ago so she ll be provided for with his money he obviously knew he’d only got days left
90 s a good age and he was a busy bee

MawBroon Mon 12-Mar-18 08:22:11

Maybe not to my taste but nor are other people who sell out theatres the length of the country.
He was a tireless performer and brought a lot of “Happiness, happiness” to a lot of people. RIP

farview Mon 12-Mar-18 08:16:57

Goodbye Ken, whatever you did or didn't do re finances...you made millions of people happy..that's what I shall remember you for..Liverpool I'm sure,will do you proud on your final journey ??

mrsmopp Mon 12-Mar-18 06:48:35

Goodbye Ken. Liverpool will give you a great send off. Thanks for all the Happiness you gave us.

Anniebach Fri 19-Jan-18 13:16:37

Not a person I have followed , I wish him a speedy recovery

paddyann Fri 19-Jan-18 13:11:44

more my mothers generations style of comedy than mine ,but I hope he has a speedy recovery.

Anniebach Fri 19-Jan-18 13:11:30

Should have a thread ,celeb tax avoiders , and leave this one for those who want to wish the man a return to health.

eazybee Fri 19-Jan-18 13:04:38

Yes. Lovable rogue. Not.