Gransnet forums

News & politics

Maybot’s lack of self belief, alarms Tory members

(521 Posts)
whitewave Wed 24-Jan-18 12:17:31

Continuity of previous thread.

It is interesting to know that the Tories have chosen the environment as one of the focuses in order to try and tackle the young vote.

This morning I read that this failing government (shades of Trumpgrin is refusing to sign up to the EUs plan to tackle plastic waste.

A prime example f this government shooting itself in the foot on a number of levels.

whitewave Wed 24-Jan-18 12:19:46

Back to the op heading

The Tories are concerned that Maybot has no apparent plans/ideas for domestic politics going forward.

It is considered this is largely due to maybots lack of self belief.

whitewave Wed 24-Jan-18 12:24:51

A report by Loughborough university shows that children in poverty is set to rise to a level which means that children living in areas of deprivation are more likely to live in poverty than not in the U.K.

How can this be?

Employment the highest for years?

The only answer must be austerity impose by this government which has e sired that the poor have suffered more than anyone else, whilst the rich have grown ever more wealthy.

whitewave Wed 24-Jan-18 13:12:38

PMQs Maybot has no defence to Corbyns challenge over the NHS.

Backbench Tory MPs looked distinctly uncomfortable, as Maybot had nothing to offer except attempting to show that Welsh NHS was fairing worse, forgetting the small fact that the cuts to the Welsh government are imposed by this Tory Government.

Primrose65 Wed 24-Jan-18 13:19:59

The Welsh NHS spends more per head than NHS England though. How are they able to do less with more money per person? Why are A&E services worse there, when they have more?
It's a genuine question and very relevant to NHS funding.

whitewave Wed 24-Jan-18 13:22:41

I’m sure primrose, however I am surprised with your access to so much information, you are not able to find that out for yourself.

Primrose65 Wed 24-Jan-18 13:42:39

But I didn't post implying that this was due to government cuts. I think the 'small fact' that they receive more money is relevant. Seems like Labour has nothing to offer except higher tax and lower service. As that is what they are doing.

whitewave Wed 24-Jan-18 14:03:35

primrose you appear to be conveniently ignoring needs based funding.

Your comment on higher tax and lower service needs explanation.

durhamjen Wed 24-Jan-18 14:09:53

mss.carto.com/viz/064da52a-2edc-4b7b-a709-f3697a5928b0/public_map

Many of the areas are poorer?

Primrose65 Wed 24-Jan-18 14:30:28

So why are the Welsh more sick or have greater needs than the English ww? I think that needs explaining!

Primrose65 Wed 24-Jan-18 14:33:53

Sorry Jen, just look at London. There are 3 million people in Wales - 8 million in London and it has significantly more child poverty. Surely then, London should underperform compared to Wales, but it doesn't.

durhamjen Wed 24-Jan-18 14:44:38

How much more NHS money does London get compared to Wales?

durhamjen Wed 24-Jan-18 14:45:29

www.gapminder.org/answers/how-does-income-relate-to-life-expectancy/

durhamjen Wed 24-Jan-18 14:48:52

I've looked at everywhere I have lived on the poverty map.
In only two places has child poverty decreased; York and Hampshire.
In two areas it has increased by over three per cent. That's over one year.

whitewave Wed 24-Jan-18 16:22:04

However much deflection is attempted, there is nothing to escape the fact that the NHS is being run down. Since the Tories came to power the NHS has been increasing funded on average by £2bn a year, prior to that the average increase by the labour Party was £5bn.

We have watched the largest sustained reduction in spending in the NHs ever.

The number of patients waiting more than 4 hours in A&E has reached the highest level ever.

The number of hospital beds has declined to half that in the 1980s with the years since the Tory government reducing significantly, with mental health being the worst affected.

This is what is important.

whitewave Wed 24-Jan-18 16:35:27

It’s official!

OBR chief Robert Chote has reported that Brexit and austerity have harmed economic growth.

whitewave Wed 24-Jan-18 16:40:18

Robert Chote warned that government plans to leave the SM and CU and the extra trade barriers it would create, is unlikely to be created by trade deals elsewhere.

durhamjen Wed 24-Jan-18 16:42:39

Wow! I bet they'll say he's wrong.
I am sure David Davis said we didn't know when asked this morning.

Eloethan Wed 24-Jan-18 18:30:14

Public services - hospitals, ambulances, GP surgeries, home care, meals on wheels, outpatient clinics, prisons, the courts, the probation service, nurseries, old people's homes, schools, etc, etc, etc. - all have reported, if not a crisis in provision of services, major problems in service delivery.

As has frequently been reported, child poverty is increasing month on month and many elderly people are not receiving proper care within their homes - while others are languishing in hospital beds because there is no place for them to go.

Bankruptcies and insolvencies continue to increase, as does private and public debt.

How on earth can anyone support this hopeless government?

Telly Wed 24-Jan-18 18:57:42

Heard again this morning that NHS spending has been increased, but they must think we are stupid if we can't see that medical advances mean more spending, ageing population, health tourists, inflation etc. means that more needs to be spent to stand still.
May has been brought into get through Brexit as one else wants to do it IMHO.

varian Wed 24-Jan-18 19:13:38

Surely if we are the sixth richest nation in the world we ought to be able to do better than this!

winterwhite Wed 24-Jan-18 20:19:42

Also with every piece of 'new' money, which often isn't new at all, come time- consuming conditions and provisos re how it is spent. Or as with the 'new' social care precept last year it comes from raising the already unfair council tax.

durhamjen Wed 24-Jan-18 22:22:21

www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/how-the-nhs-will-die

durhamjen Wed 24-Jan-18 22:25:47

NHS waiting times for England and Wales NHS, which May mentioned at PMQs.

In England they count from when the patient has been deemed to need admission, i.e., when they could have been already waiting for 8 hours.
In Wales they start counting from when the patient arrives at hosital.

durhamjen Wed 24-Jan-18 22:26:13

Sorry, hospital.