Gransnet forums

News & politics

Are older people today out of touch politically with younger generations?

(357 Posts)
James2451 Tue 30-Jan-18 13:12:03

I do. not wish at this stage to state my own views , simply because I desire to hear far more objective views..

Last weekend during a family lunch chat the subject got round to politics,,Brexit and Theresa May abilities. That led to discussion on the voting around the referendum, the GE & prejudices generated by age and the role of the media.

Strong views expressed that Older People have been brain washed by the tabloids far more than the under 50’ ,who tend to form their views by wider open debates on social media and TV politics..
Strong views expressed about the RW media role in the referendum and since. Younge grandchilder expressed the views that the Tabloids rarely expressed an unbiased view and have for years distorted political views and that is the main reason why such as anti eu distorted stories are still strongly believed and expressed in respect of over 70’s , that older people tend to be self centered and so often reject younger peoples opinions out of hand. Majority of under 50’s seem to consider older member of society are in the main stubborn and frequently have what was described as having a bloody minded RW brain washed mentality.
Is there any truth in that view?

It was fascinating to hear such strong views from younger family members, especially at it is really their future and their democratic systems we are determining upon. Views please.

lemongrove Wed 07-Feb-18 16:37:28

smile

Wally Wed 07-Feb-18 19:01:46

I just can't let this go Wilma, I actually heard Corbyn say the things that I have said he said because he was daft enough to say them on television.

James2451 Thu 08-Feb-18 23:28:20

Gosh, I had not expected such a fantastic debate when I wrote about my grandchildren and other family members views.

Reading so many of your different views whilst recovering from a rather painful operation helped my recovery. It is good to be home but I feel very tired so have not been online very much.
Can I just say no matter what your political views, please keep pressing for a far better deal for our nurses and doctors in fact all the NHS staff. They were run off their feet on my ward but did an incredible job, always smiling even when tired out. I owe them a great deal. Thank god we have the NHS.

Ginny42 Fri 09-Feb-18 04:10:37

Glad you're home and feeling better James. A friend was in hospital recently and had exactly the same experience with wonderful care and professional staff. You're right we should be proactive about saving the NHS. Worrying talk in some of the media about the NHS being sold off in the trade deal with the US.

Take care of yourself.

Wally Fri 09-Feb-18 08:51:59

James2451 And so say all of us.

James2451 Fri 09-Feb-18 14:14:37

Thank you Ginny42 and Wally.

James