Gransnet forums

News & politics

Something rotten?

(130 Posts)
Eloethan Thu 08-Feb-18 09:48:55

A recent headline in the Independent:

"Secret Freemasons' lodges for politicians and journalists operating at Westminster:

"Lodges for MPs, peers, parliamentary staff and journalists said to be so covert most lobby reporters were unaware of their existence" www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/freemasons-lodges-operating-secretly-westminster-parliament-mps-lobby-journalists-david-staples-a8194411.html

I don't think this should be allowed. What do others think?

varian Thu 08-Feb-18 19:16:12

There are certain privileged public positions where disclosure of membership of secret societies and other groups (eg political parties and pressure groups) should be mandatory.

jura2 Thu 08-Feb-18 19:27:19

Well we are reassured now- because the trifle was tasty - and your uncle a lovely man. Pheeeew.

Jalima1108 Thu 08-Feb-18 20:24:05

And a male only club isn't it ?
Apparently there are all-female lodges too Christine
A colleague did tell me very many years ago (probably 45) that she belonged to one, I think she was hinting that I may like to join but I didn't show an interest so she told me no more.

Jalima1108 Thu 08-Feb-18 20:29:01

^No comparison to Rotary of Roundtable, etc- none whatsoever.
The Rotary, Round Table and most certainly the WI are not secretive like the Freemasons are reputed to be. However, there is a local branch of the Freemasons here, we know some of them and they are quite open about their membership and do fundraise for charity. Goodness knows what they get up at their meetings though hmm

lemongrove Thu 08-Feb-18 20:35:27

I think some attribute more to the Masons than is actually there.

M0nica Thu 08-Feb-18 20:40:14

Is membership of the Freemasons so secret? I can remember as a child hearing people talked of quite openly as being Freemasons. DH's grandfather was a Freemason, as were most of the trades and professional men in the small town where he lived. There was nothing very secret about their Freemasonry. I have known some very nice and admirable men who were Freemasons.

I quite accept that some Lodges could have turned toxic and could be a course of concern, but we must be careful about interpreting the past from our current moral high ground. Had the Lodge DH's grandfather belonged to been doing each other favours, then would it have been any different if there had been no Lodge, my recent experience of the way tradesmen in small towns still befriend each other and push work and favours around each other suggests not.

lemongrove Thu 08-Feb-18 20:44:07

And there are still ‘bent coppers’ who are not Masons as well.
Making a conspiracy theory about Masons seems a waste of time.

Deedaa Thu 08-Feb-18 21:33:41

* Wally* about 20 years ago I used to cook the meals for DH's lodge. One month they had the Provincial Grand Master attending so I cooked a really nice meal and served it up when they had finished their meeting. He asked me where I was eating and I told him I'd be out in the kitchen. He said that was silly, I must come and eat with them - so I did!

grumppa Thu 08-Feb-18 22:08:14

The Vehmgericht, the Illuminati, the Priory of Sion, even the Presidents Club, all gone. Are the Freemasons all we have left to hook our conspiracy theories on?

I think the Duke of Kent was the UK Grand Master, Panjandrum or whatever for many years; knowing that, how could anyone take them seriously?

Jalima1108 Thu 08-Feb-18 23:41:20

Panjandrum ?
Is that like the Head Boy?

kittylester Fri 09-Feb-18 07:18:51

Oh Lordy. My father, grandfather, brother and lovely father in law were all masons! blush

suzied Fri 09-Feb-18 07:40:26

What’s with all the rolled up trouser legs, leather aprons, funny handshakes and militaria? How do we know it’s not a bit dodgy? If it’s all so wholesome why the secrecy?

NfkDumpling Fri 09-Feb-18 07:40:37

Perhaps it depends on the Lodge? One in an influential city like London with member in who're in positions of great power isn't in the same league as one in a small seaside town like Wells in Norfolk. There's one in our little town and no one seems to be secretive about being a member - probably because it's in a prominent position and comings and goings are very obvious. It just seems to be a men's club. They may well look after their own though. Difficult to tell. When does giving a job to a mate turn into having to give a job to someone in the same club as you?

I do remember an old friend, now deceased, who always put Mason business before all else. When asked to an occasion he really, really wanted to attend it was turned down as Mason business called. They ruled his life.

grumppa Fri 09-Feb-18 08:43:11

For the origin of Panjandrum see the Wikipedia entry about Samual Foote, Jalima.

gillybob Fri 09-Feb-18 08:57:11

They’re all as “Bent as a ten bob bit” (not my words).

My ex neighbour was stopped and arrested for being 3 times over the drink drive limit on a very busy road in the town. Both he, his father and grandfather were Masons. It never went any further and he was released without charge. Apparently his specimen given at the station “went missing” .This is not a story that has been exaggerated either. His wife at the time (now ex) was my best friend and he knew that he would get off with it.

gillybob Fri 09-Feb-18 08:58:43

My DH was “invited” to join a few times by a couple of people within the business community. Thankfully he declined.

jura2 Fri 09-Feb-18 12:11:06

so was mine- again and again- as retiring colleagues meant key business links were broken- yes, thank goodness he declined.

Won't say more here- but anyone who thinks they are just doing charity work is seriously deluded.

kittylester Fri 09-Feb-18 12:29:24

My relatives would not be part of anything you couldn't post on here, jura! It's as NFK says, maybe in London or other big cities but that is HUGE sweeping statement.

jura2 Fri 09-Feb-18 13:11:08

not talking about London.

kittylester Fri 09-Feb-18 13:59:09

Nor am I jura. And I still maintain you made huge sweeping statement.

jura2 Fri 09-Feb-18 15:08:03

As a matter of interest, did your grand-father, father, brother and sil ever discuss FM matters with you and your mother?
They rarely do.

Won't ask here, as it is too personal, but why did you OH not join himself- with such a family tradition?

I make comments with what I know- both here, and in UK- that is all one can do.

Fennel Fri 09-Feb-18 15:29:24

Don't tell her, Kitty grin

kittylester Fri 09-Feb-18 16:52:46

It wasn't anything secret jura.

I'm not sure it's anything to do with you or the thread but DH was invited to join on many occasions by his partners. As we effectively had a lodge of our own at home he didn't really have the time.

jura2 Fri 09-Feb-18 17:14:08

Thank you for your reply kitty- as said, I was not asking - just wondering. A very good reason indeed.

And I will leave it at that.

Day6 Fri 09-Feb-18 17:21:07

Jura - "Won't say more here- but anyone who thinks they are just doing charity work is seriously deluded."

Oh, so you have inside knowledge then Jura? hmm

Please tell us what else goes on to justify your concerns.

<imagines satanic rites>