Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Poverty of Brexit

(1001 Posts)
whitewave Fri 09-Feb-18 08:52:13

Poverty of ideas
Poverty of economy

It seems that NI is as useless said to stay in the Single Market according to EU draft.

Expect a major row from the headbangers and denial from Number 10

Round and around we go.

mostlyharmless Mon 19-Feb-18 15:15:04

Petra I was referring to the link in The Sun posted above about Basildon.
I’m just surprised that they feel so discontented and excluded in Basildon - one of the top Leave voting areas of the U.K. - obviously quite a deprived spot.
I was also talking about the East/West split in growth in the Guardian/Observer article above.

MaizieD Mon 19-Feb-18 15:24:15

Hmm, having grown up in Essex, seat of the tories, I'd say that part of the reason for such a high Leave vote in the SE is that fact that it's predominately tory, rather than anything in particular to do with living conditions. Remember, far more tory voters voted leave than did Labour voters (expressed as a percentage). It must be something to do with the tory voting mindset...

jura2 Mon 19-Feb-18 15:40:55

Yes, I think so too.

The example I gave above, from a remain site- has been followed all day by a flood of similar ones. In short- we tried to reason, debate sensibly, build bridges, listen ... but after so long, we've given up with our parents, grandparents, siblings, relatives, colleagues and friends who have turned almost violent in their exchanges, and have shown strong signs of xenophobia and prejudice, ignorance and irrationality.

This of course does not mean that all leavers are racist, ignorant or irrational- but those who have shown that they are- are being cut out after months and months of trying to have a sensible discussion. Some things you can agree to disagree about - sheer and blatant racism- I'm afraid, I can't.

mostlyharmless Mon 19-Feb-18 16:02:20

I agree. Brexit has become like a religion. People have entrenched, deeply held beliefs and it’s often impossible to have a sensible debate.

durhamjen Mon 19-Feb-18 16:40:03

"In a powerful speech to the Munich security conference, Theresa May argued for extensive UK-EU co-operation on security and foreign policy after Brexit. Going further than expected, she suggested that the UK would accept the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice (ECJ) in aspects of crime and justice co-operation after Brexit. This is an important blurring of the prime minister’s “red line” of no role for the ECJ in the UK after Brexit, as set out in her Lancaster House speech last year.

May’s speech was an emphatic rejection of the arguments of the Leavers about the role of the EU in security and foreign policy matters. In a reprise of the speech she gave during the referendum, she set out how the EU adds value to the UK’s security. "

Another red line turns to dust.

petra Mon 19-Feb-18 17:25:44

durhamjen
No she did not. She said: "So for example, when participating in the eu agencies the uk will respect the remit of the European court of justice"
This is the same as if we were dealing with any other country outside our own: we respect their court ruling.
And visa versa the European court will 'hopefully' respect our courts in these security issues.

varian Mon 19-Feb-18 17:30:27

Did any of you see the Daily Politics today?

We were told by a brexiteer Tory MP called Rehman Chisti that Boris Johnson's recent speech had proclaimed that "we are leaving the EU, but not leaving Europe and we want an "enhanced relationship" with the Eu at every level- defense, security, trade!!!!

Cloud cuckoo land. How can we possibly ever ever have such a close relationship with the EU if we are no longer members???

Here's the link

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09sz057/daily-politics-19022018

This nonsense is about halfway through.

durhamjen Mon 19-Feb-18 18:44:52

infacts.org/pm-retreats-ecj-red-line-keep-security-cooperation/

whitewave Mon 19-Feb-18 20:57:56

Advise for those who want to stop Brexit

pbs.twimg.com/media/DWamuL4WsAIdl2j?format=jpg

whitewave Mon 19-Feb-18 21:10:32

Something to make you smile

pbs.twimg.com/media/DWV18kpWsAAtwI_?format=jpg

whitewave Mon 19-Feb-18 21:13:30

Something else to make you grin
pbs.twimg.com/media/DWaWlTcWsAEzqlO?format=jpg

whitewave Mon 19-Feb-18 21:18:36

Someone who knows his own mind
pbs.twimg.com/media/DWaqg7RX4AAwbZE?format=jpg

durhamjen Mon 19-Feb-18 22:14:56

We should try to remember number 1 on your Brexit tips, whitewave.

durhamjen Mon 19-Feb-18 23:12:16

This is why May wants us out of the EU, and why we should stay in.
www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2018/02/19/the-government-really-is-aiding-and-abetting-money-laundering-by-its-lax-approach-to-company-incorporation/

whitewave Tue 20-Feb-18 10:22:21

The Dutch view on the U.K. government - it divisions and danger of falling over the cliff
pbs.twimg.com/media/DWdjSM9X0AA7mqv?format=jpg

whitewave Tue 20-Feb-18 10:25:21

dj yes. Dunt was advising/arguing yesterday, and I think it had merit, that “othering” like Brextremists etc of which I am certainly guilty should stop.

So I am- he convinced me. Especially after considering the Corbyn thread!

whitewave Tue 20-Feb-18 11:48:14

Femi tweeted

Davis is making a total case for remain in his speech.

Davis said
U.K. has always been a leading and powerful influence in the EU
We should continue to lead the way, despite losing our seat at the table.
Administrative burdens can crush business, like divergent regulations.

whitewave Tue 20-Feb-18 11:52:15

pbs.twimg.com/media/DWeaQ3BXkAEDZxU?format=jpg

whitewave Tue 20-Feb-18 12:11:33

MPs worry about retaining their seat
pbs.twimg.com/media/DWei1dIWsAA6Mzr?format=jpg

whitewave Tue 20-Feb-18 14:04:15

An example of why you can’t trust those who wanted you to vote leave
pbs.twimg.com/media/DWej2cdXkAAxrBd?format=jpg

whitewave Tue 20-Feb-18 14:21:48

Public opinion about EU regulation

mobile.twitter.com/TomKibasi/status/965715712542216193/photo/1

durhamjen Tue 20-Feb-18 17:48:34

newsthump.com/2018/02/20/we-probably-wont-have-to-become-nomadic-warriors-tribes-after-brexit-reassures-david-davis/

durhamjen Tue 20-Feb-18 19:15:18

www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-20/corbyn-breaks-brexit-cover-will-support-a-customs-union-with-eu

At last.

whitewave Tue 20-Feb-18 20:55:05

Let the light shine

pbs.twimg.com/media/DWf08JVW4AMRQc9?format=jpg

whitewave Tue 20-Feb-18 20:57:24

A centre political party calling itself “renew” is intending to file over 200 candidate at the next election, with the intention of reversing the referendum result.

Interesting

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion