Gransnet forums

News & politics

Alfie Evans - Judge rules that life support can be withdrawn.

(34 Posts)
phoenix Tue 20-Feb-18 19:19:02

Evening all, sad those this news is, and I can understand the reaction of the parents, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

(I will share mine later)

Fennel Mon 30-Apr-18 11:20:55

I hope and pray that other similar cases aren't exposed to the media like has happened to Alfie and his poor parents. And the hospital staff.
I personally know of one, at Great Ormond Street, which TG was kept private and the family allowed to grieve in peace.

Mapleleaf Tue 01-May-18 12:35:25

I understand your view, Fennel, and hate to see the intrusion of the media and other organisations in what must be very difficult and heartbreaking situations. However, I do think, if I’ve followed the news correctly, that Alfie’s father used the media, including social media,to put his points across and in doing so, privacy was, sadly, forfeited.

Iam64 Tue 01-May-18 13:39:06

In the majority of these desperately sad situations, the family and the medical team are able to work together despite the difficulties. Most family members don't want the press involved.
It's also extremely rare for the Court to become involved and the only time it would do so, is if the parents and the medical team disagreed about what was in the best interests of the child or if the child was at risk of significant harm.

maryeliza54 Tue 01-May-18 14:10:51

Agree with Iam . If there is anyone to criticise it is the dreadful fundamental pro-life Christian groups that got involved here (and with CG) and just shamelessly and wickedly exploited the parents - and gave wrong legal advice to boot.

Grandma70s Tue 01-May-18 14:41:47

Yes, maryeliza54. I don’t think there has been enough publicity about the involvement of these groups, latching onto desperate people and prolonging their agony.

maryeliza54 Tue 01-May-18 15:43:42

And quite frankly I think the pope should butt out as well

Morgana Tue 01-May-18 17:52:01

The rights of the child should be the most important aspect of these cases. Yes, he had a right to live, but he also had a right to die. I find it inhumane to let a child suffer in this way. I know I have not been in the situation that these parents faced, but we have to do the very best we can for our children, and if these means letting them leave us, then so be it.

sodapop Tue 01-May-18 18:11:39

I agree maryeliza and with Morgana I am just so grateful no member of my family has been in this tragic situation.