Gransnet forums

News & politics

Syria

(32 Posts)
Luckygirl Thu 22-Feb-18 13:36:41

The news reports are unwatchable. I despair. sad

nigglynellie Sun 25-Feb-18 07:35:22

South Sudan and its accompanying horrors, the list is endless - completely shocking. How on earth do you totally rid the world of arms dj? Once the gene is out of the bottle you can never put it back. Sad fact is that you can't un invent something/anything!

whitewave Sun 25-Feb-18 07:19:12

Tom London tweeted a quote from an American General which absolutely reflects mans position today.

“Ours is a world of nuclear giants, but ethical pigmies”

Luckygirl Sat 24-Feb-18 22:46:03

Does he really think that these children represent the "opposition"? All so he can hang on to power.

lemongrove Sat 24-Feb-18 22:07:17

It wouldn't have the slightest effect if Boris was the best ever
Foreign Secretary, it is way past that now that Russia is heavily involved and propping up Assad.
It will go on and on until Assad is sure he has wiped out any opposition.

GracesGranMK2 Sat 24-Feb-18 21:06:26

My staff are trying to save lives in the rubble of Ghouta. Who will help us?

All this is happening only a 20-minute drive from Damascus, from UN headquarters and the palace of Bashar al-Assad; a few hours on a plane to Geneva, where “peace talks” are happening. But as you look at the pictures of dust-covered people emerging from rubble or kids screaming out in pain, it could be another planet – one where the worst of humanity is in charge. For we have never seen anything like this before in this world.

GracesGranMK2 Sat 24-Feb-18 20:51:39

Ghouta on the right and Damascus to the left...

GillT57 Thu 22-Feb-18 23:36:07

News from Syria horrendous and tragic, those two little girls just broke my heart. I think news reports shou!d show it how it is in all its awful reality of bleeding crying traumatized children, then maybe, just maybe some of the more hard hearted may understand why Syrian refugees make the dangerous journeys they do in an effort to get away, to save their children's lives.

Jalima1108 Thu 22-Feb-18 22:52:20

and yesterday the Democratic Republic of Congo was featured on the BBC News too.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/cvenzmgylgwt/democratic-republic-of-congo

The news from Syria this evening was just agonising to see.

gillybob Thu 22-Feb-18 22:09:44

Yet another heartbreaking news report tonight . Those poor children .

That poor doctor crying in the corner . sad

GracesGranMK2 Thu 22-Feb-18 21:38:56

I'm afraid I have my head in the sand about Boris Deedaa and am slightly ignoring the fact that this is who we got for Foreign Secretary. I feel very embarrassed when I do think about it. I don't think that we can do everything as a country but we did used to be good at diplomacy. I know Boris is supposed to be very clever but I don't think he has any idea what the word means.

durhamjen Thu 22-Feb-18 21:16:36

www.theweek.co.uk/syrian-civil-war/91838/syria-crisis-why-the-un-security-council-is-impotent

durhamjen Thu 22-Feb-18 21:04:00

Stuff in the papers today about Nazanin Radcliffe.
She appears to have been forgotten about, but a judge in Iran said today that it is about the money.

Unfortunately, Boris still hasn't done anything about it, and Emily Thornberry thinks Iran will be the next battlefield.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/feb/15/war-protests-iraq-libya-syria-iran-peace-jeremy-corbyn

whitewave Thu 22-Feb-18 20:59:01

Given the main players, I’m not sure there is much we can do as a single country. I suppose the EU might have some clout, but no one seems to care.

Deedaa Thu 22-Feb-18 20:56:28

What can you say? If only we had a decent foreign secretary instead of Boris the Buffoon - but we'd still be faced with total denial.

GracesGranMK2 Thu 22-Feb-18 20:55:17

Oh crumbs Jen that is so depressing. Power and weapons. I think you are probably right.

durhamjen Thu 22-Feb-18 20:54:30

www.change.org/p/join-me-in-standing-with-one-of-the-last-doctors-in-aleppo-call-world-leaders-to-act-now-to-savealeppo

Updated email today.

whitewave Thu 22-Feb-18 20:54:07

sad

durhamjen Thu 22-Feb-18 20:48:30

Exactly, GracesGran. However, without weapons, Syria might still be liveable in.
It's very much 1984, with the UK being America's airstrip one, and the middle east being the battle field.
It's on the GCSE syllabus this year.
Pleased I'm not still teaching a class - I wouldn't be able to control myself.

GracesGranMK2 Thu 22-Feb-18 20:42:19

Oh it's more wicked than that Jen. It's all about power and fighting your battles in other people countries. Arms and weapons are just the means it's man's misuse of power.

durhamjen Thu 22-Feb-18 20:02:10

When countries stop trading in arms and weapons?

GracesGranMK2 Thu 22-Feb-18 19:57:21

It's horrifying. The Russians ...

There is a Save Ghouta silent protest in Piccadilly Circus against the absolute silence of the international community over the massacre of civilians in Eastern Ghouta taking place at the moment. I just wonder how much coverage it will get in the MSM.

The citizens of Ghouta have been under siege for more than 4 years now, with very limited humanitarian food and medicine deliveries allowed access by the regime.

Not only have they been suffering from a lack of medical supplies and malnutrition, but they are being actively bombed from the sky by Assad's and Russia's air forces. They have also been repeatedly gassed by the regime with chlorine and sarin bombs, against international prohibitions on the use of chemical weapons.

Four hospitals were destroyed by airstrikes yesterday, including a maternity hospital. In the past week, more than 100 people have been killed and hundreds more injured every day. It is difficult for emergency services to help the people of Ghouta because roads are being bombed by the airstrikes. As if the number of civilians killed or injured by the bombings wasn't bad enough, yesterday, Ghouta's food storage facilities were destroyed, worsening the effects of the siege.

The regime's siege, bombing and gassing of civilians in Eastern Ghouta are crimes against humanity, yet the world is watching in silence. How many UN resolutions does Assad need to break before being held to account? How many more war crimes will we witness while the world watches in silence? How many more parents in Eastern Ghouta will watch helplessly while their children are being slaughtered in front of their eyes? When will ENOUGH BE ENOUGH???

whitewave Thu 22-Feb-18 19:09:49

I guessed that, I feel very pessimistic at the moment. Well I have for quite some time really.

durhamjen Thu 22-Feb-18 19:06:55

I put that on to show there is something people can do.
Not much, I know, but anything is worth trying.

whitewave Thu 22-Feb-18 18:50:47

Thanks for that dj - it is all so miserable.

durhamjen Thu 22-Feb-18 18:46:28

www.amnesty.org.uk/report-world-human-rights-2017