Gransnet forums

News & politics

Government survey on self-identification of gender

(16 Posts)
FarNorth Tue 27-Feb-18 02:09:38

If you have views on the self-identification of gender - please take part in this consultation from the Scottish Government, whether you live in Scotland or elsewhere in the UK.

If you're not sure if you have views about this, have a look at the consultation questions, to decide whether to take part.

Consider that changes made in Scotland, as a result of this consultation, are likely to be followed by similar changes in the rest of the UK.

consult.gov.scot/family-law/review-of-the-gender-recognition-act-2004/

To note:
1) At the end, you will be asked whether you are resident in Scotland, the rest of the UK, or elsewhere - i.e. you don't have to be in Scotland.

2) You will also be asked whether you want your response published with your name, without your name, or not at all.

3) You don't have to answer all the questions.

The consultation closes at 5pm on 1st March.

Primrose65 Tue 27-Feb-18 08:43:43

Thanks for posting FarNorth - have completed it. Very quick to do - only a few questions and took less than 5 minutes.

maryeliza54 Tue 27-Feb-18 09:28:36

Thanks - will do now

Elegran Tue 27-Feb-18 09:51:48

Will do later after I have read all the notes. Very interesting to see how other countries tackle it, and the arguments behind the proposals.

I like it that it contains a solemn oath that the applicant intends to live in their preferred gender until death but that there could be a six-month cooling-off period before it becomes binding.

Blinko Tue 27-Feb-18 10:09:09

Thanks, done.

FarNorth Wed 28-Feb-18 12:52:41

Closing time for the survey is 5pm this Thursday, 1st March.

Elegran Wed 28-Feb-18 13:39:30

Not a very large window to get opinions!

FarNorth Wed 28-Feb-18 14:10:33

It has been running since last November. I just wanted to give it some last-minute publicity.

Elegran Wed 28-Feb-18 15:00:57

It hasn't been publicised very well - I had never heard of it.

Primrose65 Wed 28-Feb-18 15:01:37

I thought the solemn oath question was interesting too, that was something that I had not considered.

Elegran Wed 28-Feb-18 15:33:26

The accompanying notes are very informative. I knew next to nothing about self-declaration or the position in other countries until I read them, Now it is clear that it isn't just a chance to act on a drunken whim and change your mind next day. No shilly-shallying back and forth several times either. There will be a (very low) limit on how often you can change.

It would be worth visiting the consultation site just to get clued up, even without the chance to add your two-penn'orth.

Jayh Wed 28-Feb-18 18:57:54

Thanks for this FarNorth. Very interesting and informative.

grannyactivist Wed 28-Feb-18 21:14:07

I feel very strongly about this and was glad to have my say.

FarNorth Thu 01-Mar-18 12:41:27

Today is your last chance to get your twopence worth in!

Eloethan Thu 01-Mar-18 17:07:28

Took me ages to consider and type my responses - then it froze - looked at clock - gone 5 pm. How stupid of me and what a waste of time.

FarNorth Fri 02-Mar-18 13:40:04

That's a shame, Eloethan.
I found some of the answers did need a lot of thinking about.