Gransnet forums

News & politics

Failing Trump

(21 Posts)
whitewave Sat 03-Mar-18 19:11:41

We haven’t given Trump any attention lately, but now the idiot is planning to directly affect the U.K. by slapping on tariffs to our steel and cars.

It will all end in tears.

varian Sat 03-Mar-18 19:30:06

I could never understand why the Democrats did not seen to point out to the redundant steel workers in the rust belt that Donald J Trump had imported Chinese steel to build Trump Tower and many other building projects.

Morgana Sat 03-Mar-18 19:39:50

Can't understand why anyone in this country would believe we have a 'special relationship' with the USA.

MaizieD Sat 03-Mar-18 19:47:47

It certainly makes me feel even more that it's a pity we're cutting ourselves adrift from our rather more dependable European neighbours...

varian Sat 03-Mar-18 20:08:30

Trump is certainly not offering to import British steel into the US. He is threatening sanctions on steel imports.

I wonder how many poor deluded British steel workers voted for brexit thinking that Trump would buy all the steel that would no longer go to the EU market?

grumppa Sat 03-Mar-18 21:16:11

Since the Brexit referendum took place 5 months before Trump was elected, probably very few, varian.

Baggs Sun 04-Mar-18 03:41:55

From what I read Trump's announcement about steel tariffs is in response to China's tariffs. Would steel and car exports from anywhere other than China be affected?

whitewave Sun 04-Mar-18 07:29:36

Under WTO rules -yes

I think his remarks were addressed to Europe

varian Sun 04-Mar-18 08:50:52

Before the referendum President Obama warned that if we left the EU we could not expect to be "at the head of the queue" as far as trade with the US was concerned.

Trump has proclaimed "it's America first" and his protectionist policies make it even less likely that we could ever negotiate a good trade deal with the USA.

whitewave Sun 04-Mar-18 08:52:31

He’s after our cars as well don’t forget which will hit us hard post Brexit

durhamjen Wed 07-Mar-18 23:07:07

Ford is an American company.

Jalima1108 Wed 07-Mar-18 23:49:33

He is threatening tariffs on EU cars which would include us at the moment - but what would happen post-Brexit? Does anyone know yet?
“If the EU wants to further increase their already massive tariffs and barriers on US companies doing business there, we will simply apply a tax on their cars which freely pour into the US,” he said. “They make it impossible for our cars (and more) to sell there. Big trade imbalance!”

[[http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-tariffs-eu-cars-import-trade-war-a8238426.html]

Jalima1108 Wed 07-Mar-18 23:50:54

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-tariffs-eu-cars-import-trade-war-a8238426.html

Grandad1943 Thu 08-Mar-18 13:04:26

I would certainly not agree with Trump unilaterally placing tariffs on imports to the United States for as already stated, that would undoubtedly draw reciprocal action from Countries affected. However, I believe that the prospect of a trade war does shine a light on Globalization and the power huge companies have over governments and populations throughout the world.

Those who support globalization argue that the development has lifted many in poor nations out of absolute poverty as manufacturers have moved production to those countries. The foregoing is a true statement, but in doing that, those manufacturers have all too often taken away safe, secure, and well paid employment in developed economies and traded them for unsafe, poorly paid employment in developing nations.

In the above those often huge manufacturers create great power and wealth for those in top positions in those companies while creating inequality even within those organisations themselves. They also hold ransom power over the governments of the country's they produce in by way of threatening to move production away from those countries should worker protection rights or workplace safety legislation be improved.

In the way these global corporations operate, anyone can find the reasons for Donald Trump's election victory. In that you need only look to the "rust belt states" where many in the electorate feel they have been "sold out" by the companies that once gave them well paid employment.

Donald Trump is right to bring to the attention of these global companies that if their main market is in the United States then the employment benefits of production should also be centred there. The alternative the foregoing would be to insist through trade agreements that employees of these manufacturers employed outside the United States have similar wages, safety and workplace rights as those that would be applied if production was based in the United States.

In short, let us see a push to the top rather than a race to the bottom.

durhamjen Fri 09-Mar-18 23:48:04

Rory Bremner being Trump.

"Kim Jong-Un wanted to destroy America. He's just jealous I got there first!"
I actually laughed out loud, not something I do much these days.

durhamjen Tue 20-Mar-18 18:39:19

secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en/trump_elephant_redux_loc_sig/?bkHcnjb&signup=1&cl=14127186773&v=104121&_checksum=07698861d2252f783997099e1f94aef250a96c97c4e1809fdb38e2006ad775e3

Trump has changed his mind about stopping people from hunting elephants.

Cherrytree59 Tue 20-Mar-18 20:32:42

Thank you DJ signed
DH also signed
I despairsad
Why would anyone want to kill an animal to put their head on a wall?angry.

I can think of one head that would make a good wall trophy!!

durhamjen Tue 20-Mar-18 20:38:54

With all this CA stuff, it might yet be. I don't believe he didn't know what was going on with Steve Bannon being in on it.

“Cambridge purports to go beyond the typical voter targeting to construct a picture of a voter’s mental state.”

I wonder if they used it on trump.

Cherrytree59 Wed 21-Mar-18 09:05:59

DJ due to my inability (I must learn) to put links on GN would you be kind enough to put the elephant link on a new thread.smile

durhamjen Wed 21-Mar-18 09:16:11

Have done so, Cherrytree.
If there is a link on gransnet already all you need to do is right clck on it, and then right click again in the new thread.

I wish I knew how to do what GracesGran does and put normal speech in place of a very long link.

whitewave Wed 21-Mar-18 09:22:17

I wish I could do any of it.