Gransnet forums

News & politics

Snow clothes or no clothes (almost) - why?

(26 Posts)
grannyactivist Sun 04-Mar-18 00:26:39

There have been photographs in the news of clubbers walking through the icy conditions wearing no shoes (or thin, strappy sandals), and what I consider to be 'scraps' of clothing during a night out. As someone who was very poor as a child and often without adequate warm clothing I struggle to understand why anyone would choose to go out into the freezing cold barely dressed.
I cannot imagine how worried I would be as a parent if I saw a child of mine going out so inadequately dressed for the weather. Do they not actually feel the cold? Why do they do it?
metro.co.uk/2018/03/03/breaking-news-clubbers-newcastle-still-arent-wearing-coats-7357968/

Baggs Sun 04-Mar-18 01:34:09

I think your "do they not actually feel the cold?" may be spot on, ga. What with alcohol—and who knows what else in some cases—I'm actually not sure what clubbing involves other than being subjected to a lot of noise and crowds.

ninathenana Sun 04-Mar-18 07:00:03

Some clubs don't have supervised cloakrooms so they risk getting their often very expensive coats nicked. Those that do, often charge rediculous amounts for the privilege.
So I've been told by a friends daughter.

jenpax Sun 04-Mar-18 07:11:17

I was discussing this with friends the other day one of whom said that she herself didn’t remember feeling the cold as a teenager? and often wore skimpy clothing?
I remember one of my daughters coming home from a night club, most indignant that her friend’s boyfriend had been the victim of a cloakroom thief, and was down one expensive leather trench coat.
I think the Newcastle teenagers are hardier than my daughters though, who at least always left the house wearing warm coats, even if I could not persuade them to sensible foot wear?

janeainsworth Sun 04-Mar-18 07:17:07

One of my neighbours used to complain that his teenage D would turn up the thermostat in the house when he wasn’t looking, but then go out on the Toon in freezing weather wearing a strappy dress and sandals.
They pride themselves on being ‘well hard’.
I understand that’s the expression anywaygrin

tanith Sun 04-Mar-18 08:07:55

All the kids at the local school have been going to school in just their blazers this last week only the littlies were bundled up by Mums for the freezing conditions. They just don't seem to feel it.

cornergran Sun 04-Mar-18 08:10:13

I recall the same amazement over 20 years ago when I facilitated an evening course in an area surrounded by nightclubs. There seemed to be total disregard for cold weather. Our two had been the same. A rite of passage maybe?

M0nica Sun 04-Mar-18 08:16:19

My mother always said that where there was no sense there was no feeling,

I do remember reading about some research that showed that going out under dressed in cold weather could do long term damage to the underdressed person's health.

Having always been a chilly mortal, even as a child, the idea of going out in the snow, much as I love it, without several layers of clothing seems incomprehensible.

Baggs Sun 04-Mar-18 08:20:42

When someone commented on teenagers going to school in their shirt sleeves in cold weather, one of our neighbours said: "It's not cool to feel the cold."

sodapop Sun 04-Mar-18 08:39:10

My mother used to say that as well MOnica

I remember my daughters going out in unsuitable clothing in their teenage years, a belt purporting to be a skirt etc. Any comments were met with the usual eye rolling and 'oh Mother '. I reminded them of that when the grandchildren were teenagers. grin

travelsafar Sun 04-Mar-18 09:14:10

I have seen two postmen wearing shorts in this very cold spell. I asked one why he was wearing shorts and he replied very scarcastically ' trying to get a suntan'!!!!

wildswan16 Sun 04-Mar-18 09:16:51

In "normal" weather I think they are just silly but understand they don't want the bother of coats etc in the clubs.

However in our current freezing conditions I think they are foolish - being drunk and not in a sensible frame of mind could easily lead to hypothermia. The consequences could be fatal and at best take emergency resources away from where they should be.

Greyduster Sun 04-Mar-18 10:03:08

Our postman has also been wearing shorts through this cold weather, as has my GS! I remember some years ago we went on a Christmas booze trip to Boulougne organised by DH’s work, and coming back in a coach where the heating had broken down and ice formed on the inside of the windows. We passed through a town near here at two o’clock in the morning where youngsters were rolling home dressed in the skimpiest if garb. It raised many rye comments. The only thing you can say is that, if they don’t actually freeze to death, they do come to their senses later in life!

goldengirl Sun 04-Mar-18 12:01:26

A friend's postman has been wearing shorts - apparently it makes it easier to get in and out of the van! My GD sometimes wears a crop top or a thin top which makes me feel cold just to look at her. Perhaps I did something similar at her age [teen] but I don't think so!!!

MaizieD Sun 04-Mar-18 12:09:30

Lots of postmen up here only wearing shorts; it makes me shudder when I see themgrin

My DD used to go out in skimpy clothing in freezing conditions. She said that it was too hot in the pubs to wear a coat and that there was nowhere to put them when they took them off. Also, there wasn't far to walk between pubs so they just hugged themselves and put up with the cold for a few minutes. Mind you, that was in a very small town centre; Newcastle is a very different proposition.

grannyactivist Sun 04-Mar-18 12:23:10

I've just googled it and it seems most nightclubs do have cloakrooms. The youngsters who were posting were saying that if you drink enough before you go out you won't feel the cold and others were cautioning against that for fear of hypothermia.
I can understand postie's wearing shorts as they build up a tolerance for the cold on their legs, but they are wearing several layers up top and I noticed ours are all wearing hats too.

henetha Sun 04-Mar-18 14:21:05

I also thought it was bcause it's not "cool" to be warm.

MaizieD Sun 04-Mar-18 14:30:57

They don't start off in nightclubs, though, grannyactivist. They do the pubs first; which don't have cloakrooms.

Nanamaz Sun 04-Mar-18 14:42:21

My 15-year-old GD resisted all attempts by her mum to get her to wear a coat to school. DD made one last attempt to persuade her and was met with the reply “It’s social suicide to wear a coat to school!”

MaizieD Sun 04-Mar-18 14:53:35

They never fancy being trend*setters*, rather than followers, do they? grin

BlueBelle Sun 04-Mar-18 15:05:47

My grandson goes to college, two hour journey away and will not wear or take a coat as they don’t have cloakrooms as we did as they have different lessons in different parts of the building and have to carry everything around with them all day My granddaughter has just been to my house in a crop top, 9I said naught learnt a long time ago
They don’t wear them to clubs pubs or parties as they get stolen or lost its very different from when we had a cloakroom AND an attendant, it would be a very posh place to have that round here they carry as little as possible, a phone with their money in side the case and a key that’s about it

Jalima1108 Sun 04-Mar-18 15:15:13

They do the pubs first; which don't have cloakrooms.
And when they leave the pub to go on somewhere they may find that their lovely warm winter coat has gone and someone has left a charity shop reject in its place. hmm

I have heard it termed 'A beer jacket' by one of mine who laughed at the notion of every wearing a vest!

MaizieD Sun 04-Mar-18 15:47:29

But they don't take a coat to the pub, Jalima; so there's nothing to swop...

Jalima1108 Sun 04-Mar-18 16:06:10

grin that was a few years ago, and it was a very sensible member of my family, not a 17 year old wearing a beer jacket!

Jalima1108 Sun 04-Mar-18 16:06:41

and they don't have a coat to take out any more anyway sad