Gransnet forums

News & politics

Russian spy attempted murder - what should the UK do?

(501 Posts)
Gerispringer Fri 09-Mar-18 14:07:05

Just listened to a radio piece on this awful attack on the Russian spy and his daughter in which 21 people were affected. one suggestion why these attacks are carried out in the UK was that the response of the UK in the past e.g. Litvinyenko has been weak, so whoever carries out such attacks has no fear of comeback. What can the UK do? Boycott the World Cup?

Anniebach Thu 06-Sep-18 11:09:37

Could be, the poor man said what he realy thinks perhaps.

Jalima1108 Thu 06-Sep-18 11:07:30

A Freudian slip?
It could happen to the best of us

Anniebach Thu 06-Sep-18 11:05:29

Poor Corbyn , he must have misread his written replies .

POGS Thu 06-Sep-18 10:26:58

It is always interesting to hear and see the response to a Statement and it can tell you a lot about individual MP's.

As for the Leaders of the Opposition the support and understanding of the situation came from Ian Blackford the SNP Westminster Leader , by a country mile .

The opposition ' back bench ' MP's did a pretty good job too .

MaizieD Thu 06-Sep-18 09:18:18

That sounds like John Crace in the Guardian, MawBroon. Am I right?

MawBroon Thu 06-Sep-18 07:26:18

Didn’t know whether the following extract from a report on the debate in the Commons on Russian involvement belongs here or on the JC”whipping post” thread, but oh dear, how much longer can he stay in his job?

Once again, however, Mr Corbyn’s remarks were notably less emphatic. The worst he found to say about the Russian regime was that it had “failed to co-operate with this investigation”, and must now “give a full account of how this nerve agent came to be based in the UK.
Still, at least he managed to condemn someone. “We condemn the police and security services,” declared Mr Corbyn
MPs stared at him
Commend,” said Mr Corbyn hurriedly, realising his mistake. “We commend the police and security services

POGS Wed 05-Sep-18 19:16:42

Well at least the Labour Leader who was a ' doubter ' has now accepted the government statement , I think.

lemongrove Wed 05-Sep-18 18:32:00

paddyann all your posts need taking with a bucket of salt and a wee dram.

All the left wing posters [some no longer here] with their conspiracy theories that somehow don't include any Russians may be feeling a bit daft right now I would say.
Nothing much we can do as a Nation, but letting every other country see the evidence of the spy trail and the way they murdered their victims will do very well for a start, at least.

POGS Wed 05-Sep-18 18:28:14

Oh dear paddyann are you falling out with the SNP view?

Anniebach Wed 05-Sep-18 15:11:10

That explains it Jalima. And all those camera shots were film in the rose garden of No 10

Jalima1108 Wed 05-Sep-18 15:02:51

Anniebach grin

I think Alex Salmond gave her the names but don't tell anyone.

Anniebach Wed 05-Sep-18 14:06:03

Naming these 2 Russians will no doubt change all to do with brexit

paddyann Wed 05-Sep-18 14:02:40

och Pogs its just another diversionary tactic for Mrs May ,anything to stop the public from watching the mess she's making of her job.
Very convenient these names popped up just when she needed them

POGS Wed 05-Sep-18 13:46:54

Thank goodness there are still some decent voices left in our Parliament and are prepared to put political bias to one side when it comes to the crunch.

POGS Wed 05-Sep-18 13:37:23

Watching Parliament live and Theresa May has said the 2 Russians were Russian Intelligence Agents .

I think there may be some in Parliament who perhaps might benefit from eating a bit of humble pie .

POGS Wed 05-Sep-18 11:31:41

Well hopefully the conspiracy theorists who thought it was MI 5 , Boris Johnson , anybody but a Russian might accept there is now an Arrest Warrant issued for 2 Russian nationals.

Interesting to see what develops and if they can be identified as Russian government operatives or not but a lot of hard work and detective work looks to have paid off.

POGS Wed 05-Sep-18 11:24:37

Bump

whitewave Thu 22-Mar-18 08:22:08

Listening to the minister this morning talking about the uk reaction to Russia.

Russia must feel very secure after that interview!!

Dear oh dear

whitewave Tue 20-Mar-18 15:44:22

Hot air

whitewave Tue 20-Mar-18 15:44:05

I am impressed with the strength of character being shown by Corbyn over this Russian scandal.

Despite all the ridiculous hour air being espoused by the MSM , Corbyn is playing it straight down the line.

trisher Tue 20-Mar-18 14:08:18

That's worse than spying! Exile them immediately!

lemongrove Tue 20-Mar-18 14:06:49

I won’t have them in the house, they eat all your pop corn!

trisher Tue 20-Mar-18 14:03:20

That' OK then because if they were I would of course have to exile them from my spare bedroom shelf and Oleg would be so upset and lonely (although as famiies have to go as well maybe he wouldn't be allowed to stay either?!). The thought that they might be reporting back to the Kremlin or worse still poisoning people was too much for me!

petra Tue 20-Mar-18 13:55:31

Lemon
Someone will probably ask what that means. grin

lemongrove Tue 20-Mar-18 13:51:35

Simples! grin