Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit transition period agreement

(34 Posts)
Elegran Mon 19-Mar-18 13:12:14

Getting somewhere at last? The UK and EU agree terms for Brexit transition period

varian Mon 26-Mar-18 17:56:03

Sorry, correction. In my last post I should have said "successive UK governments have been particularly inept.."

MaizieD Mon 26-Mar-18 18:26:20

Did anyone else hear Teresa May state in the house today that Corbyn wanted to trigger article 50 the day after the referendum.

She's a bit late with that bit of news, isn't she, petra? Those of us who took any interest beyond putting a cross in a box knew about it when it happened nearly 2 years ago...

MaizieD Mon 26-Mar-18 18:34:58

As I understand it this is the explanation (I'm sure someone will come along and tell me if I've got it wrong.)

Considering that I had given just about the same explanation about 3 posts before yours I'm not likely to take issue with it..

So ironic that the fishermen were taken completely for a ride and voted 'out' in protest against something their own governments inflicted on them.

It was the same with EU workers; initially it was Thatcher who insisted on them coming straight away because the country needed the EU workers. It was our governments who didn't apply the EU 'rules' to control workers staying here without jobs..

( Doesn't anybody read the thread before commenting ? )

varian Tue 27-Mar-18 10:25:09

I did read your previous post Maizie but I also think that this fishing quota saga needs to be set out again and again.

The public perception of the situation is so far from the truth that I think there are folk who are otherwise pro-EU who actually blame the EU for this situation.

This is because the media generally, and not just the usual suspects - Express, DM and Sun, have given that impression.

I am glad that my understanding of the situation is correct and I won't mind at all if someone else comes along and says the same thing. It needs to be repeated.

petra Tue 27-Mar-18 10:29:09

MaizieD some things need repeating.

MaizieD Tue 27-Mar-18 10:48:49

This is because the media generally, ........ have given that impression.

I got my information from the Guardian and the Independent initially. In fact the G ran stories highlighting the sale of boats + quotas to the European fishing industry a long time ago. I just lost the will to find them...

The problem is that the belief that the wicked EU destroyed our fishing industry is so deeply entrenched that the truth fails to penetrate at all.

Simon Wren Lewis (Economist) posted a blog on this theme quite recently

I was struck by this passage:

The idea that the media can heavily influence popular opinion is not new. It has been widely acknowledged that people think crime is always rising, and overestimate the number of immigrants in the UK, the extent of benefit fraud and so on. These mistakes are almost always in the direction you would expect if people were far too influenced by newspaper headlines. We also now have published papers that demonstrate that the media influences rather than just reflects voters views. (See here for Fox News, and here for the UK press. Here is another study that also finds the Murdoch switch to Labour had large effects. Here is a study about how the media influenced attitudes to welfare after the 2011 riots.)

(The original passage has live links embedded)

mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2018/03/beliefs-about-brexit.html

I always find it ironic that poster on Gnet steadfastly declare that they are not influenced by the MSM when studies consistently prove that people are influenced by it. We must have a set of highly exceptional people on these forums!

MaizieD Tue 27-Mar-18 10:49:36

posters

varian Tue 27-Mar-18 10:57:34

I have also read these research findings Maizie and agree with you that the influence of the media can be quite insidious.

Perhaps the Cambridge Analytica scandal will open people's eyes to the dangers. The whole question of politics, the media, influence and advertising probably needs a thread of its own.