Gransnet forums

News & politics

If a 'Salisbury' type incident occurs after Brexit....

(87 Posts)
M0nica Mon 26-Mar-18 18:29:09

....will EU countries be as willing to support us as they have today, most of them expelling Russian 'diplomats'?

I know NATO countries are supporting us and the US, but to know that the EU is acting so fast to support a fellow member when under threat is something we may be without if it happens again.

lemongrove Thu 05-Apr-18 21:51:43

paddyann.....are you a Russian citizen by any chance?
Or just playing the same old SNP game of ‘my enemies enemy is my friend’ ?

whitewave Wed 04-Apr-18 13:42:14

Are we sure it was the nerve agent as stated? I thought it was impossible to recover from it.

paddyann Wed 04-Apr-18 13:27:53

If this guy is/was a double agent isn't there the possibility that HE was taking the nerve agent somewhere to use it? Accidents happen even to spies .
My bets still on the good old UK government using it to cover their tracks for something else ....

whitewave Wed 04-Apr-18 12:59:31

Lies, lies lies

pbs.twimg.com/media/DZ70hA0WkAEYzRj?format=jpg

whitewave Wed 04-Apr-18 09:52:38

Here you are lemons this might help

pbs.twimg.com/media/DZ7GaVaXUAImNNA?format=jpg

whitewave Wed 04-Apr-18 09:07:26

You are clearly not aware of Johnson’s interview with a German publication, in which he blatantly lied.

But really there should be no surprise at Johnson lying, he has plenty of history.

lemongrove Wed 04-Apr-18 09:02:27

Nothing has changed at all...... there was never direct proof of who used the nerve agent.We know it was from the Novichok type which originally came from Russia, we know that Russia likes to poison it’s ex spies in other countries,
And we know that the victim ( one of them) is an ex Russian spy.
The head of Porton Down cannot be specific because he doesn’t know and can never know.All the intelligence points to Putin.

whitewave Wed 04-Apr-18 08:04:22

What Johnson should have said

“The basis of an allegation has to be based on evidence. We need cool heads”

The person who said this was accused of being a Russian spy grin

whitewave Wed 04-Apr-18 07:58:38

Well,well,well

Does Johnson ever tell the truth?

Part of the norms of the democratic process is that those in charge can be trusted to tell the truth

Johnson must be sacked.

May won’t though because she is too weak, or does not have the moral conviction one or the other.

whitewave Tue 03-Apr-18 16:46:19

Wrong link sorry

I’ll redo it

pbs.twimg.com/media/DZ3jYZZW4AIQsgM?format=jpg

whitewave Tue 03-Apr-18 16:44:29

Looks as if Johnson has been lying again, but of course we know he has history of telling porkies. Hasn’t he lied to parliament in the past?

pbs.twimg.com/media/DZ3BVc1WsAASf6U?format=jpg

durhamjen Sun 01-Apr-18 22:50:27

I thought Brexiteers wanted us to be an island on our own, to stand up on our own two feet and not rely on the rest of the EU?

M0nica Sun 01-Apr-18 21:56:50

Day6 Let me be clear. I wasn't hinting anything I was asking whether when we no longer belong to an international group, will they be as enthusiastic about supporting us after events like the Salisbury poisoning as they were when we were still members of the club.

I do not know that is why I asked.

As for In most discussions many Remainers imply that these countries will turn their backs on us, that the UK will be hated and we will be cast adrift, an island alone You obviously know a completely different kind of remainer to those I know, not one of which as ever suggested anything so silly.

durhamjen Thu 29-Mar-18 17:32:21

Definition of a pro-Europe brexiteer; someone who wants to have her cake and eat it?

humptydumpty Thu 29-Mar-18 12:01:45

Day6 I would like to point out that one of the things we shall be losing is the right to live anywhere in Europe that we please with no restrictions, which has scuppered my choice of upping sticks if I so wish and moving to continental Europe to work or retire, and also that of all young people.

loopyloo Thu 29-Mar-18 09:38:19

I think that after Brexit we will still work with Europe and especially with defence because it will be in everyone's interest.
I take the long view now. Our relationship with Europe has been discussed and argued over for more than 2,000 years and will continue to be. I am a pro Europe Brexiteer. May the Force be with us.

MaizieD Thu 29-Mar-18 09:18:44

In most discussions many Remainers imply that these countries will turn their backs on us, that the UK will be hated and we will be cast adrift, an island alone.

I think you're still living in a parallel universe, Day6. You've managed to pin that spin on MOnica's OP but I just do not recognise this general characterisation of Remainers at all. Which really makes me wonder about the validity of anything else that you write at great length

Day6 Thu 29-Mar-18 07:53:55

Maizie, I don't need reminding of what I posted.

The OP hinted at lack of cooperation or rejection by EU member states after Brexit.

In most discussions many Remainers imply that these countries will turn their backs on us, that the UK will be hated and we will be cast adrift, an island alone.

I rejected those silly ideas from the start. They were (and still are) part of the Project Fear campaign.

In case you need to read it again, we are leaving the EU and not the continent of Europe. We are ending a trading deal (and a lot more besides, thank goodness! ) Should any part of the western world be threatened with aggression by Eastern powers it affects us all. Beans, butter mountains and bureaucrats in Brussels won't be barriers to a united front against a common enemy.

Day6 Thu 29-Mar-18 07:39:36

Sorry but I thought Brexit came about because 'the people' think that the E U is a lot more than just a means of trading?

Well you can take the OP out of context if you want to Tegan and use it as an excuse to sneer once again at those people who backed the Leave campaign, but I was answering this question.

Will EU countries be as willing to support us as they have today, most of them expelling Russian 'diplomats'?

You obviously failed to comprehend, or were being deliberately obtuse.

durhamjen Thu 29-Mar-18 00:11:21

What tariffs and impositions are we shrugging off? We don't have any at the moment with the EU, do we?
We will after we leave, however we leave.

MaizieD Wed 28-Mar-18 23:47:12

Tegan grin

MaizieD Wed 28-Mar-18 23:45:32

Let me remind you what you said, Day6

Some Remainers imagine enmity with the EU. Why? Does it serve their anger? Those countries will hate us for leaving?

Perhaps you should clarify what you meant by this.

MaizieD Wed 28-Mar-18 23:42:21

Your world is not the whole country MaizieD

Neither is yours. lemon

Tegan2 Wed 28-Mar-18 23:38:08

Sorry but I thought Brexit came about because 'the people' think that the E U is a lot more than just a means of trading?

Day6 Wed 28-Mar-18 17:07:45

What a strange comment, Day6.

It's Leavers who believe that the EU is 'bullying' the UK; 'punishing' us because of Brexit.

I find your comment strange MaizieD

I have already said that European countries are likely to support us now and in the future in the face of a common enemy like Russia, or should peace be threatened in Europe. Aggression threatens us all.

That does NOT rely on a trading deal. I am not talking about EU trading negotiations which are fraught with detail. Bernier and Juncker might be frosty but they are not Italy or Austria or Germany. They have to play hard ball as we do, for the sake of the best deal.

My point was that (in answer to the OP) in or out of the EU we remain geographically in the land block that is Europe and that isn't going to change. Our allegiance to one another in the face of a common foe is not determined by cod, elastic bands or light bulbs.

Remainers might like to think our country's security depends upon the EU trading deal. It doesn't. We are not divorcing European allies. We are shrugging of tariffs and impositions which come with the sale of goods as well as the jurisdiction of Brussels and Strasbourg.

The import and export of goods does not determine the security of the UK or any other European country. It's a TRADE DEAL, not a military exercise.