Gransnet forums

News & politics

If a 'Salisbury' type incident occurs after Brexit....

(86 Posts)
M0nica Mon 26-Mar-18 18:29:09

....will EU countries be as willing to support us as they have today, most of them expelling Russian 'diplomats'?

I know NATO countries are supporting us and the US, but to know that the EU is acting so fast to support a fellow member when under threat is something we may be without if it happens again.

varian Mon 26-Mar-18 18:30:34

It does illustrate the strength we have as EU members.

tanith Mon 26-Mar-18 18:31:17

In my opinion Brexit or not I think our allies will support us regardless.

Cherrytree59 Mon 26-Mar-18 18:47:32

Agree tanith
It works both ways if it had happened in another EU country the UK would have responded in the same manner.

M0nica Mon 26-Mar-18 19:28:13

Are you sure? I am not.

Baggs Mon 26-Mar-18 19:54:53

Allies are allies. Trading bloc partners are trading bloc partners.

Smileless2012 Mon 26-Mar-18 19:55:22

I suppose it comes down to showing support for a country because something awful has happened regardless of whether or not that country is a member of a particular club.

I agree with tanith and like to think it has nothing to do with us being a member of the EU but is a show of strength and intolerance of an 'aggressor'.

Cherrytree59 Mon 26-Mar-18 20:52:04

Yes Monica I do.

Countries such has Poland must fear any aggression from Russia after what happened in in the Ukraine.

The world is watching and waiting on Russia's next move.

The West needs to show solidarity,
Russia's is meddling in the affairs of other Countries, not just here in the UK.

lemongrove Mon 26-Mar-18 20:59:23

I agree with all other posters on this.The EU know we are leaving next year so I don’t think it makes any difference.
There has to be the show of solidarity within Europe and also in the US and Canada.

paddyann Mon 26-Mar-18 21:15:55

is that the US thats been meddling in other counries worldwide for decades? Or our own blame free government ..remember Iraq...Afghanistan ...and countless others.This Russia mania is getting out of hand ,we're beginning to sound like the Americans with their "commie" remarks .Our enemy is far closer than Russia

lemongrove Mon 26-Mar-18 21:19:11

Sigh! hmm

lemongrove Mon 26-Mar-18 21:20:38

Who is this enemy closer to home, Nichola Sturgeon?

Oldwoman70 Mon 26-Mar-18 21:50:25

I think the EU and the other countries would react this way no matter who was suspected to be responsible. There must have been sufficient evidence for so many countries to react they way they have. This may have happened in UK but could have happened in any country.

M0nica Mon 26-Mar-18 21:56:36

Many EU members are also NATO members, and I am certainly not suggesting that none would react. As has been said, Poland are likely to react because they have reason to fear Russia, likewise Ukraine, but there is something to be said for friends backing you because you are in the same group, rather than just from self-interest.

Cobweb01 Tue 27-Mar-18 10:05:17

Brexit has nothing to do with it - it is more a case of being aware Putin thinks he is untouchable and it could be any of their countries this happens in next.

maddyone Tue 27-Mar-18 10:15:11

I agree with Baggs, a trading bloc is a trading bloc, and allies are allies. I think that many EU countries would still support us if this had happened after we leave the EU. I believe we’ve already said we’ll be working together on defence after Brexit, and of course there’s NATO. This is really not about the EU, it’s about security. Of course, Mrs May was able to address all the member states of the EU to garner support, but who’s to say that couldn’t happen after Brexit. The ex satellite states of the Soviet Union (that was) have taken a much more reserved approach anyway, ie Hungary has expelled only one diplomat, as they have both a historic partnership with Russia, and perhaps more to fear. They are also much smaller populations.
I’m glad to see so much support from other countries, whoever they are, Russia really cannot feel it’s okay to do these kinds of things in Britain, or anywhere else.

Jaycee5 Tue 27-Mar-18 10:15:42

I agree with Baggs. It is nothing to do with Brexit. It would be very small minded of EU countries to not support us if they believed that the Russians had done this. Would we not have supported Canada if it had happened there?

Saggi Tue 27-Mar-18 10:24:19

Other EU countries supporting us over the ‘Salisbury Incident’ has nothing to do with us being in or out of Europe and EVERYTHING to do with doing what’s right and decent. Whether we are in or out of this community officially we are still part of the human race. Surely that takes precedence over all other affiliations!?

Molly10 Tue 27-Mar-18 10:26:49

This was a serious accusation made to Russia regarding the Salisbury incident with intelligence to back this up. Russia has made no real and confident responses in absolute denial of the responsibility. They have had an almost childish, mocking response to a serious crime. I would have been more concerned if countries had not responded in solidarity like this as they are all at risk of anyone, Country or regime flouting sensibilities and laws in this way.

While Brexit may have an effect on trade etc, we will remain the civilised, responsible and respectful country we are and are known for so should continue to receive this sort of loyal response regardless, as it is in all their best interests.

Marieeliz Tue 27-Mar-18 10:26:56

Other countries are taking a stand because, it could be them next. If Russia get away with it. Russian will retaliate but who cares.

sandelf Tue 27-Mar-18 10:32:28

The brilliant thing with this is that the EU as a group did NOT support us except in a very mealy mouthed way. The EU member countries who have expelled diplomats have all done it unilaterally in support of UK. So they and we have co-operated as independent countries. Let's hope this is the start of a trend.

sarahellenwhitney Tue 27-Mar-18 10:57:07

This could happen to any country and anyone with the attitude 'not my problem' needs to get their head out of the sand Never say never.

Dogsjj Tue 27-Mar-18 11:40:15

They have supported us, the whole of the Western World AND Australia!

roo163 Tue 27-Mar-18 12:24:29

We may be leaving the EU but we will still be members of NATO and should expect to receive their support.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 27-Mar-18 12:49:27

Not so sure, I think I agree with Monica on this.