Gransnet forums

News & politics

Baby Alfie

(23 Posts)
tiredoldwoman Sat 28-Apr-18 11:09:11

This morning's news is heart breaking isn't it ? Oh dear . I don't know what was right or wrong but the loss of a child must be terrible .

tanith Sat 28-Apr-18 11:34:16

Terrible loss for the parents but at least the poor little mite is at peace now.

ninathenana Sat 28-Apr-18 11:47:55

I second that tanith

Anniebach Sat 28-Apr-18 11:48:09

I can understand the parents fighting to keep the child alive.

MawBroon Sat 28-Apr-18 11:52:24

No amount of activity by the “media circus” can take away from the sad loss to this young couple of their baby boy.
Yes the death of a child, any child is terrible (not “must be”, there are many here who have gone through this) and the glare of publicity which surrounded and still surrounds the family’s pain, does not make it easier to bear.

Luckygirl Sat 28-Apr-18 12:06:05

Let us hope the media will give these poor parents a chance to grieve in peace - and to bury their child away from the glare of the cameras.

I do no know what was said at the last meeting with the hospital, but whatever it was, what a huge shame that the important messages about the hospital's true concern for the child's well-being and their role in supporting the parents could not have been achieved before the media and legal circus gained wings. Something went awry and hopefully everyone will be looking back and thinking about ways to avoid this in the future.

I do not blame the parents for this unseemly mess; but I do think that here we had two vulnerable young people dealing with a terrible tragedy and that those professionals involved (doctors/legal advisors/media etc.) might think back about how this could be avoided in the future.

I do think that there should be guidelines for the media in these cases, that protect families in these sad situations.

I am a bit cynical about legal firms in these cases - a bit of publicity is always useful.

Let us just hope for some peace for the family in the company of those closest to them who will be the ones to carry them over the next months and years.

Media keep out.

Panache Sat 28-Apr-18 12:09:48

Sad,sad news but we have to accept that this is in the little one`s best interest,although very difficult for the loving parents to take on board.
To loose a child is surely one, if not the worst thing, that can happen and I have known this to totally change the course of parents lives, often they simply cannot quite get over their loss.Families have broken up even.
We can but hope these parents will pull together and in sharing their pain, have a new life ahead in the fullness of ti me.
Little Alfie, rest in perfect peace little one.

seacliff Sat 28-Apr-18 12:13:45

Terribly sad, I feel for them. I hope everyone leaves them in peace now. Poor little boy is at peace now.

kittylester Sat 28-Apr-18 12:28:17

I agree with all the above but would like to add that Tom Evans has been very dignified latterly and his love for his son shines through.

I hope the parents can be strong for each other now.

Bathsheba Sat 28-Apr-18 12:43:46

This has been heartbreaking for everyone concerned, from start to finish. I feel dreadfully sad for Alfie's parents and wider family. Today they are having to face the day they hoped they would never see, but realistically, deep down, knew they would.
May Alfie now rest in peace and may Tom and Kate find peace in their lives again one day.

Luckygirl Sat 28-Apr-18 12:44:30

I do agree with your comments about Tom Evans - his dignity was well beyond his years.

nanaK54 Sat 28-Apr-18 13:25:25

God bless Alfie and his parents

Teetime Sat 28-Apr-18 15:30:31

What nanaK54 said..so very sad for them all.

Day6 Sat 28-Apr-18 15:39:40

RIP little Alfie. This was always going to be the outcome unfortunately. I can understand his parents living on false hope but I hope they are allowed to grieve for their little boy away from the glare of publicity. They will be hurting so much.

I do hope this isn't the way all 'sick children' cases are played out in the years to come. It's admirable and understandable to fight for your very ill child, but publicity for hopeless cases, (lots of opinions were sought) as was Alfie's, help no one - not the parents, doctors, or nursing staff. The media frenzy should not be repeated.

lemongrove Sat 28-Apr-18 15:45:50

Good post Luckygirl
I think the parents were almost taken over by ‘Alfie’s Army’
And at the end were reconciled with the hospital staff and the decision.
It was the right decision to let Alfie go.A peaceful death isn’t the worst option.In time, the young parents will realise this.

Grandma70s Sat 28-Apr-18 15:51:02

The parents appear to have been manipulated by American Catholic extremists and “pro-lifers”. A sad, sad story.

Willow500 Sat 28-Apr-18 16:04:40

So sad and such a wonderful tribute from his father - our gladiator lay down his shield and gained his wings sad Now this is over there will be such a void in their lives - all those months taken up with being at the hospital and now there will be nothing. I hope they have a lot of support from family and friends.

Anniebach Sat 28-Apr-18 16:13:01

I don't think the parents were manipulated, the father is an intelligent man who I am sure is capable of making his own decisions, he could have a strong Christian faith which leads him to believe all human life is precious and not only perfect human life is precious

Grandma70s Sat 28-Apr-18 16:45:45

You need to read Josh Halliday’s article “‘Call from God’: American pro-lifer’s involvement in Alfie Evans battle”in the Guardian. I can’t do links, but a quick google would find it. It explains everything, including the Italian connection.

Bathsheba Sat 28-Apr-18 17:19:55

here's Josh Halliday's article

Thanks Grandma70s for mentioning this. An interesting read.

Grandma70s Sat 28-Apr-18 17:43:35

Thank you, Bathsheba.

OldMeg Sat 28-Apr-18 18:05:17

His father’s speech outside the hospital on Thursday night said it all. He talked about the wonderful job the Alderney had done, how they had supported the family and he told the hangers on and mob to go home and let them get on with their lives.

Iam64 Sun 29-Apr-18 16:42:35

Thanks for the link to the Guardian article.