Gransnet forums

News & politics

Asda and Sainsbury's merge-good news?

(55 Posts)
trisher Mon 30-Apr-18 22:16:55

Will this as they are saying result in cheaper goods? What about the promise that no shops will be closed and there will be no loss of jobs? I can't help thinking that these are fake promises that will soon be forgotten. I worry that the lack of competition will result in less choice and that we will be left with a giant company that will dominate the market.

Jalima1108 Thu 03-May-18 20:37:09

Our town seems to attract businesses by charging low rents/council tax for the first few months so we get lots of enterprising small retailers setting up. The the rent goes up and some of them fold, unfortunately.
I suppose it does give them a chance to try to make a go of things. We do have more and more charity shops too.

I'm sorry to hear about your business.

Staff costs increase year on year with the employers national insurance contributions rising and now employers contributions to employees pensions.
I do know because DD and SIL have a business and the cost of employing their seasonal workers is very high indeed.

mostlyharmless Thu 03-May-18 21:00:35

It’s sad to see long established family businesses like yours closing down smileless.

Smileless2012 Fri 04-May-18 14:05:10

Jalimall and mostlyharmless yes it is sad but a sign of the times.

It can take up to 2 years for a new business to become established so an increase in rents and/or council tax within a few months often results in failure before they've even begun.

Jalima1108 Fri 04-May-18 20:51:54

I think (but don't know for sure) that they give them six months at a reduced rate.