Gransnet forums

News & politics

Regret it Brexit?

(1001 Posts)
Bridgeit Tue 01-May-18 22:27:25

Now that time has moved on, but with a long way to go, does anyone regret the way they voted ? And would you still vote the same way if asked to vote again.

Apologies if this has already been discussed, I couldn’t see that it had.

Oldwoman70 Wed 02-May-18 09:05:10

No

Yes

pollyperkins Wed 02-May-18 09:08:11

Blinko I agree -none of us really understood what we were voting for. We now know much more about it all and that it's an extremely complex issue. It should never have gone to a binding referendum. Most people I know voted for very trivial reasons eg not wanting to be told how to vote by Obama , wiping the smug smile off David Cameron's face or on the other side of the argument not wanting to go in the longer queue at airport customs and being able to use an EHIC card . I voted remain as I believed (and still do) that belonging to the EU has kept Europe peaceful on the whole and that its better to have allies than enemies. But I realise that is simplistic and that there are many other factors involved which I was not aware of. However I still think that leaving is the wrong decision.

MaizieD Wed 02-May-18 09:15:19

Blinko I agree -none of us really understood what we were voting for

Do you think it is any clearer now?

mostlyharmless Wed 02-May-18 09:16:26

No

Yes

I think we were asked to make a decision based on a gut feeling rather than on facts and reasoned debate.

eazybee Wed 02-May-18 09:24:55

No I don't regret it.

Yes, I would vote the same way.

inthegarden Wed 02-May-18 09:34:29

No. Definitely not!

Yes. With no doubts whatsoever!

inthegarden Wed 02-May-18 09:35:46

And I knew exactly what I was voting for - to come out of the EU completely.

Charleygirl Wed 02-May-18 09:48:23

No

Yes but I regret all of the lies from BJ. I voted to remain but more facts would have been useful- it was all based on lies IMO.

Welshwife Wed 02-May-18 10:14:32

I would not change my remain vote either - just horrified at the way things are going in some parts of the U.K.

henetha Wed 02-May-18 10:20:15

No, I would still vote to leave the EU.
Yes, I would absolutely vote the same again.

(but I do agree that it's all a horrible mess now)

Gerispringer Wed 02-May-18 10:37:25

So no-one will say they have to changed their mind, this is predictable. I didn't say voting one way or another was linked to any political party, just use that as an example of a belief or identification. I don't think anyone, not even the most fervent government apologists would say the Brexit process is all going swimmingly, but they'll all maintain it will be great in the end. The other viewpoint will say its a complete mess and will only get worse. Few people will change their stance.

paddyann Wed 02-May-18 10:55:22

My COUNTRY voted remain..we're not even "allowed" to be a part of the discussions! I think David Cameron should be prosecuted for the whole sorry mess.Walking away shouldn't have been an option for him.

humptydumpty Wed 02-May-18 11:00:21

I'm actually surprised, really, that no-one has changed their viewpoint. I voted remain and would most definitely do do again, but regardless of that, I do think we should have a second referendum to vote on the final agreement, and with some solid information and hopefully fewer lies, and with more stringent requirements in terms of voter turnout and margin of result.

JenniferEccles Wed 02-May-18 11:01:27

I voted Leave

My initial reaction was to feel delighted when Cameron announced we would be having an EU referendum knowing immediately which way I would vote. However I did listen to both sides, but it quickly became apparent to me that there was an enormous amount of ridiculous scare-mongering going on from the Remain camp.

Would I still vote leave again? I certainly would.

If we want to attempt to secure our borders and have a say in who does (or more importantly does not) come into our country, then leaving the EU is the only way.

Our country managed very well for centuries long before we were shackled to the EU, and we will be absolutely fine again.

pollyperkins Wed 02-May-18 11:18:20

Well said Humpty dumpty-I agree!

Maggiemaybe Wed 02-May-18 11:35:29

I voted to remain, and would certainly do so again. With even greater conviction, considering the sorry mess the negotiations have turned out to be.

Day6 Wed 02-May-18 11:53:05

No

Yes.

Progress is slow and stumbling blocks many, but I didn't imagine it would be a smooth process. Both the EU officials and the Lords/parliament are contributing to making our exit the mess it is.

Most people, the majority, wanted a clean break. Those who didn't like the decision will be trying to thwart May's efforts forever. I do not envy her the task - she is being shot at from all sides - but imagine what it would have been like if Corbyn had been in charge?

We'd have made no progress because he'd be appeasing the EU, Lords, Gina Miller and Remainers.

Grannybags Wed 02-May-18 12:14:25

It's a No and a Yes from me too!

Welshwife Wed 02-May-18 12:25:44

We are wanting to leave the EU - a choice - are you expecting to just walk away from commitments made - after so many years of ever more knitting together of things it is a bit like deciding to unpick a jumper you have made and expect the wool to go back into the balls easily with no kinks in the wool!

Day6 Wed 02-May-18 12:34:21

it is a bit like deciding to unpick a jumper you have made and expect the wool to go back into the balls easily with no kinks in the wool!

That's a good analogy Welshwife.

Why people imagined it would be a smooth process is beyond me. I am not surprised by the stumbling blocks.

I am surprised and disgusted by those politicians in the Lords and the Commons doing their utmost to reverse the decision and make the whole exit from the EU much more difficult than it should be.

JenniferEccles Wed 02-May-18 12:48:58

Me too Day 6.

It's bad enough that the EU is determined to punish us for having the temerity to want to leave, without our own politicians doing all they can to thwart the proceedings.

The EU is very worried that other countries will want to join us in leaving, hence the continuous obstacles.

Welshwife Wed 02-May-18 13:00:48

The EU is not trying to punish the U.K. BUT it is not willing to see the rest of the EU suffer because of the U.K. leaving and not paying bills for contracts it had agreed to quite freely - neither is it going to sit back and see the citizens of the EU find that they are having their family life disrupted and they are no longer entitled to things, which they have been quite legally, because less than half the U.K. nation voted to leave. They are also doing their best for the citizens of the U.K. who are living in the EU which the U.K. Govt are quite happy to just throw away and not care what happens to them. The Europeans DO care and are doing their best to sort out some solution.

Day6 Wed 02-May-18 13:24:51

There is much unrest, anti-EU feeling and unemployment within the continent of Europe/member states.

Let's remember this. All is very far from rosy within the EU. Look at the way anti-EU feeling has swayed voters in Italy and Austria - and how Merkel has struggled in Germany.

There have been many optimistic headlines regarding our future outside the EU. The Remainers gloom has been discredited and not come to pass yet Project Fear is still alive and kicking.

Many economists suggest the UK is destined for a richer and fairer future once it has extricated itself from the depressing decay of the failing Brussels project.

More recently the latest investment and manufacturing figures indicate that the UK is an attractive prospect for international investors. Even German bank Deutsche has opened a new London HQ.

Welshwife Wed 02-May-18 13:31:57

How come then that many companies are no longer intending to invest in U.K. - car manufacturers for one - and other companies and banks are moving sizeable sections of their business to a continental city? Growth has also reached a low - much lower than EU countries and the G7. Much of the perceived unrest is due to problems within the individual countries and not with the EU. That was a little blip and the problems the U.K. is having has changed minds too - the French think the Brits are totally mad.

Caledonai14 Wed 02-May-18 13:56:02

My country did not vote to leave the EU but it is being hauled out anyway. Many young Scots voted no to Scottish independence because they feared that would lead to us leaving the EU which they see as being full ofopportunities and wider horizons. They are now bereft ... and blaming my generation for Brexit. It's a mess, good and proper.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion