Gransnet forums

News & politics

Regret it Brexit?

(1000 Posts)
Bridgeit Tue 01-May-18 22:27:25

Now that time has moved on, but with a long way to go, does anyone regret the way they voted ? And would you still vote the same way if asked to vote again.

Apologies if this has already been discussed, I couldn’t see that it had.

MaizieD Tue 01-May-18 22:37:45

No

Yes

Bridgeit Tue 01-May-18 22:39:46

Ohhps!

Thanks.

tanith Tue 01-May-18 23:00:25

No

Yes

Squiffy Tue 01-May-18 23:37:23

No

Yes

MaizieD Tue 01-May-18 23:51:03

I didn't mean to start a trend hmm

Chewbacca Tue 01-May-18 23:52:04

No

Yes

FarNorth Tue 01-May-18 23:59:49

No.
Yes.

Appalled at how it is being handled.

Gerispringer Wed 02-May-18 06:23:35

Most people wouldn’t admit to regretting a choice you cannot change, it involves admitting you may have made a mistake which damages the ego. So I doubt if anyone would say they would change, even though they can see it’s a mess.

NfkDumpling Wed 02-May-18 06:55:33

No.
Yes.

I admit to mistakes constantly Geri. Doesn’t bother me. Perhaps I don’t have much of an ego. So sorry, although I understand and respect why some friends and family voted in, I wouldn’t change my OUT vote! I do have two or three friends who’ve changed their minds and would now vote Out, so please don’t fall into the trap a lot of vociferous Remainers put about that any changes of opinion are one way.

NanKate Wed 02-May-18 06:57:33

This is my truthful answer. I believe the other GN members have answered truthfully too, we are not afraid to state our views.

No

Yes

ginny Wed 02-May-18 07:09:39

No

Yes

I have no regrets about my vote but plenty about the votes of many others.

tanith Wed 02-May-18 07:13:43

I would certainly say so if I had changed my mind, I think we are making a big mistake and have no doubt about that. Others of course have the opposing view and they are perfectly entitled to.

NfkDumpling Wed 02-May-18 07:16:11

Thank you Tanith. We’ll agree to disagree!

mumofmadboys Wed 02-May-18 07:32:02

I voted to stay in the EU and would vote the same again. It all seems such a huge mess. Very depressing.

Gerispringer Wed 02-May-18 07:47:51

Changing a complex ideological belief (“I support the Conservatives/ Labour Party/ I am a Christian etc) .) is certainly much harder to do and is more damaging to the ego and self esteem, since an ideological belief is often linked to ones own sense of personal identity. This can be compared to admitting an obvious demonstrable mistake/ decision such as “I should have bought that car rather than this one”, which is much easier to do and one reason why few will admit to changing their vote ( as shown above). Yes we all make mistakes, some are easier to admit than others,

ginny Wed 02-May-18 08:00:22

Gerispringer , you seem to disbelieve those of us who say they do not regret the way they voted and do not admit their mistake. I voted to stay in and certainly do not think it would have been a mistake. I hope once we are finally out that I might be proved wrong and would be perfectly happy to admit it.

janeainsworth Wed 02-May-18 08:10:00

gerispringer I don’t think that the way people voted in the Referendum was related to their core political beliefs.
Lots of Tory supporters voted to stay in, and lots of Labour voters supported the leave campaign.

Personally I voted to stay in, I support Open Britain and I would vote the same way again.

MaizieD Wed 02-May-18 08:10:40

I think that Geri is making valid observations but no-one should take it personally.

I also suspect that if anyone has changed their mind they're not going to admit it on here if they've posted frequently in defence of their decision in the past 2 years.

kittylester Wed 02-May-18 08:17:34

I voted in and would do so again. I also generally vote Tory and I'm a baby boomer. I am obviously confused

I accept the result and regret the nastiness that has ensued.

Smileless2012 Wed 02-May-18 08:26:13

I voted to leave and would do so again. I feel as you do kitty, I "regret the nastiness that has ensued".

Luckygirl Wed 02-May-18 08:28:27

Whichever way you voted I think most people are distinctly underwhelmed with the negotiation process which seems utterly pitiful.

varian Wed 02-May-18 08:49:45

It is hardly surprising that so much nastiness has ensued when the leave campaign was based on lies. My only regret is that I did not do enough to support the Remain campaign.

Anniebach Wed 02-May-18 08:50:27

No

Yes

Blinko Wed 02-May-18 08:55:33

I don't think the arguments on either side were sufficiently reasoned, logical and fact based for anyone to make an informed decision on such an important issue. Any of us might have made a mistake and only time will tell.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion