Gransnet forums

News & politics

How TM spells transparency

(18 Posts)
maryeliza54 Wed 02-May-18 12:42:37

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/may/02/conservative-mps-told-to-vote-against-windrush-documents-motion

Now Amber’s gone she has to use all her MPs as a human shield. If SJ goes along with this, that will tell us all we need to know about where he stands

paddyann Wed 02-May-18 13:32:47

who voted for these clowns? Wish they had thought about it before they marked their X ....they're dragging the rest of us under with them.Thanks for that !

Anniebach Wed 02-May-18 15:41:58

More voted for these clowns than the other clowns ?

Smileless2012 Wed 02-May-18 16:00:15

That's OK paddyann no need to thank me.

lemongrove Wed 02-May-18 17:03:49

Haha Annie that made me smile.grin

lemongrove Wed 02-May-18 17:08:45

As Javid says ‘this would mean an open ended fishing expedition’ which would drag on and involve over 100 officials. The HO is a government dept that now needs to put things right, and hopefully it will do ( it has to) act quickly in all the cases under review.Anything else is a distracting sideshow.

Day6 Wed 02-May-18 17:17:11

Annie grin

MaizieD Wed 02-May-18 18:54:39

All depends on how you look at it, Ab. In fact (leaving out NI) over 3 million more people voted against the tories than voted for them.

Anniebach Wed 02-May-18 19:18:10

Yes Maizie, if you add all the parties together but doesn't work like that does

MaizieD Wed 02-May-18 20:19:32

Oh, doesn't it it Ab? Have I been voting for nearly 50 years under a complete misunderstanding of how it works...doh...

Of course I know that 'it doesn't work like that'. However, it doesn't alter the fact that fewer people voted for the tories than for all the other alternatives. Which is another way of looking at it...

maryeliza54 Wed 02-May-18 20:59:05

Clowns or no clowns, maajority. votes or no majority votes,TM is a disgrace to the concept of parliamentary democracy. I take it you thought her stance on the dairy money and the BOT was equally morally acceptable? That woman doesn’t have a moral bone in her body.

maryeliza54 Wed 02-May-18 20:59:43

Or dirty money even

Smileless2012 Thu 03-May-18 08:47:19

Despite the fact that the Tories didn't have enough of a majority to form a Government, they still had more votes than Labour Maizie

Eloethan Thu 03-May-18 12:52:57

I think they're clowns too. Not only have they weakened the NHS and done nothing concrete to address the issue of social care, all these privations have not resulted in the healthy economy that austerity was supposed to deliver. Apart from the fact that our health, justice, education and housing systems are falling apart, the number of businesses and retail outlets that are going bankrupt or entering into voluntary administration should be of concern:

Carpetright plans to close 81 stores (the I 27 April) with a loss of hundreds of jobs

Profits slump at Simply Be owner (Plus Size Womenswear) (The I 27 April)

High street sales "disappointing" (The I 27 April)

1,500 jobs at risk at Poundworld (The I 27 April)

Profits warnings at Debenhams, Mothercare, Prezzo, Associated British Foods and House of Fraser.

House of Fraser undertakes "sweeping store closure programme" (The I 3 May)

Construction: Sector continues to tread water amid economic uncertainty (The I 3 May)

Pendragon profits slump after fall in new car sales (The I 3 May)

Marks & Spencer closures put 450 jobs at risk (The I 18 April)

Toys R Us, Maplins, Bettaware, Kleeneze, Wine Rack, Bargain Booze, Warren Evans (beds), East (women's closing) close

Jamie Oliver closes several restaurants

Nissan cuts back at its Sunderland plant (The I 21 April)

Household savings plunge to all-time low

UK banks ordered to hold more capital as consumer debt surges -Bank of England brings forward annual stress tests as it grows anxious over lenders’ exposure to consumer credit (Guardian 2017)

British manufacturing has made slow start to the year (The I 4 April)

Economic woes see output fall to 17-month low (The I 2 May)

Lloyds to shed 1,230 jobs and shut 49 more branches (The I 18 April)

Vauxhall to cut dealerships in bid to combat falling sales (The I 18 April)

Hornby shares go off the rails (The I 4 April)

Sainsbury's to report profit dip

On top of all that:

"Immigration rules are hampering the ability of the NHS to recruit doctors, health leaders are warning. The number of skilled non-EU workers granted UK visas is capped - with the Home Office arguing the restriction is in "the national interest". But NHS bosses say increasing numbers of doctors are being refused permission, worsening rota gaps and the waits patients face for treatment." (BBC News April 2018)

Not a great record is it.

Bridgeit Thu 03-May-18 17:14:32

Wow that makes shocking reading Elothan,
Should we be calling for a 2nd Referendum do you think.?

Eloethan Thu 03-May-18 19:20:10

No doubt the uncertainty surrounding Brexit and the incompetence of this government in failing to make progress in resolving various matters including the Irish border issue, has had some influence.

But I also think there are several other factors that have caused this economic decline and I believe a significant one is that many people are now so hard up and in so much debt that their spending has had to be cut to the bone. Workers who are stressed, poorly and insecurely housed and ill nourished are unlikely to have the morale or the energy to perform to their optimum, and their children are unlikely to achieve well at school.

People have for some time been saying, to use a domestic analogy, that if you save money by neglecting the upkeep of your home and allowing your family to become malnourished, your home will start falling down, your family will become ill and this will ultimately cost more in the long run than it has saved.

Smileless2012 Thu 03-May-18 19:53:34

When we look at the number of retail outlets closing down we also have to consider the impact of online shopping.

When it comes to the Brexit negotiations, we may have been in a stronger position if the country as a whole was working toward a good outcome.

The biggest set back IMO regarding Brexit negotiations is the constant call for a second referendum. If the EU doesn't believe that we are working together and there's a possibility for second referendum, why would they take our negotiations seriously?

Perhaps they're waiting for us to change our minds and hope that if they make it as difficult for us to leave as they can, that we wont.

As for questioning the morality of TM, she's doing her best in extremely difficult circumstances. She picked up the poisoned chalice left by Cameron who, at the beginning of the Brexit/Remain campaign said he would continue in office as PM regardless of the outcome.

Within a few hours of the result being known, he resigned.
If anyone wants to question the morality of TM, perhaps they should think about the absence of it in Cameron.

lemongrove Thu 03-May-18 21:35:45

Good post Smileless??

Internet shopping is spelling the death of the traditional High St shops, it’s the ‘way we live now’ effect.
However in many areas there is a fight back by opening snall independent foodie type shops, bookshops with cafes and artisan bakeries and butchers.
Long may it continue.