Gransnet forums

News & politics

Unintended consequences of brexit

(1001 Posts)
varian Wed 09-May-18 18:40:33

An executive at Airbus says that work on the Galileo sat-nav system will have to be moved out of the UK if the company wins a key contract. Galileo has become something of a political football in Brexit talks. The EU says it would have to stop the UK from accessing the encrypted part of the network when it leaves next year.

Colin Paynter, the company's UK managing director, said that EU rules required Airbus to transfer all work to its factories in France and Germany. Mr Paynter was speaking at a Commons committee hearing on Exiting the European Union on Wednesday.

The system was conceived to give Europe its own satellite-navigation capability - independent of US GPS - for use in telecommunications, commercial applications, by emergency services and the military. Airbus is currently bidding for the renewal of a contract covering the Galileo ground control segment - potentially worth about 200 million euros. This work is currently run out of Portsmouth.

About 100 people are currently employed by Airbus on these services. Most would likely have to move to where the work is, but it's possible some could be reallocated to other projects.

"One of the conditions in that bid documentation from the European Space Agency is that all work has to be led by an EU-based company by March '19," Mr Paynter told the committee. Effectively that means that for Airbus to bid and win that work, we will effectively novate (move) all of the work from the UK to our factories in France and Germany on day one of that contract."

www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44055475

varian Tue 03-Jul-18 19:39:19

The demographic of brexit voters is well established, that is a statistical fact. It does not mean, and as far as I know, no-one on GN or elsewhere has ever suggested that every individual leave voter conformed to that profile.

Allygran1 Tue 03-Jul-18 19:38:04

There is going to be a lot of trouble nellie. It looks like quick fix to keep the German coalition Government functioning. I must read some more, perhaps I can post something tomorrow.

There is only the fishing industry and associated byproducts. The EU seems more interested in the geoscience and geostratigic position of Greenland.

Your analysis of this thread going over the same old ground, same questions on reasons for voting leave, is spot on. Yet again today being hijacked by personal attacks, just so predictable, whenever we get a good debatable thread going, it just decends into accusations, defence and counter defence. So pointless. I know it's to shut us up. But it says more about the people that do this than they realise, and lots of people read and watch without contributing, they come to their own conclusions about people who do post. It's back to the moral high ground for us then nellie! Not getting dragged into responding to nasty post's.

Jalima1108 Tue 03-Jul-18 19:37:18

not you in particular varian but over the time from many posters since the referendum.

Jalima1108 Tue 03-Jul-18 19:36:41

Oh yes, but perhaps not in those exact words.

Such gems as 'my friend's opinion is that .....' 'I was listening to a discussion where it was said that .....' 'the demographic of Brexiteers is .....' etc etc etc.

A drip, drip, feed of insiduous comments.

suzied Tue 03-Jul-18 19:35:10

I don’t read the attacking each other nonsense and I don’t read cut n paste Wikipedia posts either and I’m guessing few people do.

varian Tue 03-Jul-18 19:33:39

No, Jalima, I have never ever said that all leave voters were,
in Lemongrove's words "poorly educated, racist, thick". Never, and I do not recall any other remain supporting GNetter ever posting such a thing. Do you?

Jalima1108 Tue 03-Jul-18 19:29:34

Ah - but she was just repeating what you have said I presume varian - and others have implied so many times.

Sometimes I feel so ashamed to have voted remain and be associated with some of the vitriol on these threads.

Nasty, nasty, nasty.

varian Tue 03-Jul-18 19:25:34

lemongrove Tue 03-Jul-18 18:31:28

Jalima1108 Tue 03-Jul-18 19:23:26

sorry, 'leaver'

Jalima1108 Tue 03-Jul-18 19:22:57

varian
I am intrigued - which leave said that?

varian Tue 03-Jul-18 19:17:51

Funnily enough I have more sympathy for the leave voters who are, in the words of a GN leaver, "poorly educated, racist, thick"

They at least have the excuse that they did not understand what they were voting for, they were fooled by the lie on the bus or by years of reading the Experss, DM and Sun.

It is the leave voters who claim to be intelligent and well educated that have a lot of explaining to do.

Not difficult for the likes of Farage, Rees-Mogg etc, they voted for brexit because they could see a way of rich bankers /gamblers like them making a fast buck. But if you are a well educated leave voter who is not due to cash in what is your excuse?

nigglynellie Tue 03-Jul-18 19:16:08

Ag, reception centres?!! What happens in the meantime until these centres are fully functional?!! I know Mrs Merkel is on a tightrope!!
Presumably Greenlands lack of population made it of no importance in the ambitions of the EU! No surprise there then!! Actually, lucky Greenland, saved by the bell!!
Leavers on here have stated their reasons for the way they voted umpteen times, and still remainers behave as if no reasons have been given! Well, I have stated my reasons, and I'm not going to again!!

Allygran1 Tue 03-Jul-18 19:14:16

maryeliza54 wine Englands on, chill out!

Allygran1 Tue 03-Jul-18 19:13:25

suzied, it doesn't actually matter to me if you do or don't. Some will, some won't. One thing for sure is it's better than reading this load of nonsense attacking other people. Do you actually know what this thread was about before it got hijacked again?

Allygran1 Tue 03-Jul-18 19:09:09

Fennel you will have to explain that more fully?

maryeliza54 Tue 03-Jul-18 19:00:01

I think some pretend to ? and then pretend to understand them ?

suzied Tue 03-Jul-18 18:56:41

I wonder if allyg thinks anyone reads her long Wikipedia pasted posts

Allygran1 Tue 03-Jul-18 18:53:47

Maryeliza your point being?

Allygran1 Tue 03-Jul-18 18:50:11

Just proves Maryeliza that you are on the ball and I am not. I do have a life outside of Gransnet that is not about Brexit, or Angela Merkel, I am so pleased to say.

varian Tue 03-Jul-18 18:47:03

I have never at any time on GN or elsewhere branded all leave voters as "poorly educated, racist, thick,". I don't think any other remain supporting GNetter has ever done that either.

It is a matter of fact - not supposition, actual fact, that people who are "poorly educated, racist, thick" tended to vote leave in far greater numbers than those who were well educated, liberal and tolerant.

I believe that there are also folk who are well educated, not thick, and possibly even not racist, who did vote leave for reasons best known to themselves- and it is possible that some of the little band of angry leavers on GN may be in that group.

maryeliza54 Tue 03-Jul-18 18:45:43

That would be Greenland with a population of less than 600,000 then?

Allygran1 Tue 03-Jul-18 18:42:15

GillT thank you for your consideration. smile

MaizieD Tue 03-Jul-18 18:42:05

I don't know what's worse, the arrogance of some remainers who believe they know the inner workings of the minds of those who voted leave,

But it's OK for a Leaver to speak on behalf of 17 million Leavers?

I assure you Brexiteers are not living in the past, Allygran1 Tue 03-Jul-18 14:52:27

Allygran1 Tue 03-Jul-18 18:37:10

This is from Wikipedia:

"Greenland is one of the Overseas Countries and Territories (OCT) of the EU because of its political relations to Denmark in The unity of the Realm also known as the Kingdom of Denmark. As a result, Greenland has some integration with the EU's internal market via association agreements. It is also within the EU's common external tariff but they may charge customs in a non-discriminatory manner. Greenlandic citizens have EU citizenship.[4] OCT nationals can be granted the right to vote for and participate in the election of the European Parliament, subject to the conditions defined by the related member states in compliance with Community law.[5]
Up to 2006, all EU funds to Greenland (then €42.8 million per year) went via the EU–Greenland fishing agreement. Between 2007 and 2013, the EU provided €25 million per year outside of fishing.[6] It has been given aid since it pulled out of the EU (see below) in 1985 to roughly the same amount it was previously receiving in EU structural funds (which it lost the right to receive due to its secession). This amounted to about 7% of Greenland's budget. The amount paid via the fishing agreement was in return for EU vessels fishing in Greenland's waters and to help restructure Greenland's fishing fleet. However, this deal was struck down by the European Court of Auditors, who felt the amount the EU was paying was too high for the quantity of fish caught.[7]"
Greenland is eligible for EU funding. Between 2007 and 2013, the EU allocated approximately €190 million, and between 2014 and 2020, €217.8 million are planned for sustainable development, with focus on education.[12] In 2015, a joint declaration about closer relations between EU and Greenland was signed by Denmark, Greenland and the EU.[13]
In March 2015, the President of the EU Commission, the Prime Minister of Denmark and the Greenland Premier signed 'an umbrella' framework document outlining EU-Greenland relations, a “Joint Declaration on relations between the European Union, on the one hand, and the Government of Greenland and the Government of Denmark, on the other”. By this document, the EU confirms its long lasting links with Greenland and reiterates the geostrategic importance of Greenland for the EU.[14]
The Brexit debate has reignited talk about the EU in Greenland, and there have been calls for the island to rejoin the Union.[15]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenland European_Union_relations

The OCT is yet another form of EFTA where the EU enters into treaties with hooks that ensure that although these country's are not full members they will conforming with EU regulations down the line when agreements are up for renewal.

Clearly the fishing support from the EU whilst very central to the Greenland economy as it's central industry, is critically important, it is interesting to notice that the EU is less interested in the fish than in the geoscience and geostrategic position of Greenland. There might be some mileage in checking out exactly what Greenland and Denmark have signed up to with the EU.

There is something else significant here also, that since Brexit, the EU is encouraging Greenland to become a full member again, I wonder why, could it be that they are worried that the UK might negotiate a free trade agreement with Greenland, for the very same reason's that the EU are encouraging "ever closer union" between them, and I don't just mean the fish. We shall see how it plays out.

maryeliza54 Tue 03-Jul-18 18:36:54

All for someone so well versed in all matters EU I’m amazed you’ve only just heard about Mutti’s problems with her coalition partners. The discussions have been going on for weeks and have now been resolved, at least for the moment. You really should keep up?

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion