Gransnet forums

News & politics

Arlene Foster

(83 Posts)
paddyann Fri 01-Jun-18 19:40:19

It seems Arlene has decided that supporting bigotry in her own part of the UK is not enough and she is to lead the Orange Order Parade( or Orange Walk as we call it ) in Cowdenbeath .Now what could her reasons be for this? Is she merely stirring up the horrible hatred the OO exudes so that WE get infected by it in Scotland or is this her contribution to the "better together campaign" as a 2nd Independence referendum looks on the cards ?

maryeliza54 Sun 03-Jun-18 19:05:20

Hiding the alcohol from view is the equivalent of their sending their women to England for abortions isn’t it - it all looks fine on the outside.

muffinthemoo Sun 03-Jun-18 19:23:16

Re hatchet faced:

“If a person has ugly thoughts, it begins to show on the face. And when that person has ugly thoughts every day, every week, every year, the face gets uglier and uglier until you can hardly bear to look at it.

A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts it will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.”

- Roald Dahl, The Twits

I grew up with this book and have come to realise this observation is absolutely true

Alexa Mon 04-Jun-18 11:50:06

Muffin, thanks, that's lovely.

Jalima1108 Mon 04-Jun-18 12:35:20

Sun 03-Jun-18 17:14:00 Blinko
I saw that programme and was intrigued by the interaction between Patrick Kielty and Arlene Foster - she came across quite differently in that exchange.

Very interesting take on the problem. AF came across as strongminded, yet likeable and intelligent. Pity her politics don't seem to bear this out.

Jalima1108 Mon 04-Jun-18 12:40:32

I thought I had type 'I agree' at the end.
Yes, I agree that she did come across like that and pity her politics don't seem to bear this out.

Her father was shot by the IRA when she was 8 and she was cowering in another room (he did survive) and Kielty's father was killed by Protestant para-militaries when Kielty was a teenager.

Both incidents must have shaped their views and their destinies - in totally different ways.

paddyann Mon 04-Jun-18 13:30:33

We've made great strides on tackling sectarianism in (mainly) the West of Scotland where it has been our shame,sadly the unionist parties managed to get rid of the Offensive Behaviour at Football Matches bill which aimed to stop the sectarian songs that many find offensive as well as other "bad " behaviour.Just last monththere was a group of Rangers"fans" videod singing the usual Orange Order nonsense F the pope and making nazi salutes .Now I may be odd but what has FOOTBALL got to do with either of those things.
The DUP being involved in Mays government has given these eegits a voice ,and Ms Foster fronting their march will enpower them even more.
The problems of the Orange Walk which we believed to be dying are once agin being visited on us an dMOST of us neither like nor want it .
NI has been a differnet place since th egood Friday agreement..shame its all going to hell because of this party and the Tories Brexit stance re the borders

muffinthemoo Tue 05-Jun-18 20:10:15

paddyann the fake outrage at the “human rights violation” of being told not to sing the sash, the famine song, the soldiers song, black and tans, my father said and the rest in a public place on sky television is ridiculous.

Panhandling for votes at any cost.

Just sing something else!!