Gransnet forums

News & politics

Upskirting bill blocked

(219 Posts)
crystaltipps Fri 15-Jun-18 18:38:26

Anyone else outraged that this bill which was to make taking photographs up a woman’s skirt illegal was blocked by one old Tory MP. He also blocked a bill which would have made it a crime to attack a police dog.

Baggs Fri 15-Jun-18 20:07:52

So what are they admiring? Seriously.

Baggs Fri 15-Jun-18 20:12:15

Joanna Williams is arguing that the idea of making upskirting a criminal offence (as opposed to a moral one, which it already is) is yet another way of making women into victims.

I get her point, especially after that recent case of a woman in a TV studio complaining about being upskirted. In that instance the camera operator was a woman and the complainant was wearing a short skirt that revealed most of her thighs even from a downskirt point of view.

muffinthemoo Fri 15-Jun-18 20:17:02

The outline of the labia within the underwear and any visible buttock or pubic hairs, particularly on schoolchildren who are the most common and sought after victims of this offence.

There are also people who particularly seek out pictures with sweat stains or evidence that the girl was menstruating (tampon strings, period stains etc). Those suggesting the girl is wet feom sexual arousal or “dripping come” are the most sought after.

Most posters on the now banned subreddits devoted to upskirting were open that the violation of privacy and non consensuality of the photography was the most arousing part of the offence.

Some people are willing to not take the photos themselves finding other people’s photos sufficient for their masturbatory needs.

I appreciate this post contains deeply unpleasant information, but the people who engage in this offence display extremely unpleasant conduct towards girls and very young women.

Baggs Fri 15-Jun-18 20:21:50

I think we all agree with what you've said in your last sentence, muffin.

I'm surprised by the apparent need for more legislation though and wondering why (or even if) current legislation on sexual pestering (such as exposure by males in public places) does not already cover upskirting.

muffinthemoo Fri 15-Jun-18 20:23:57

One of the prominent users and moderators of the upskirting communities on Reddit was this guy.

The article that revealed his real identity does not contain any photos, but the text of the article is in parts graphic.

This is the reality of who these offenders target.

gawker.com/5950981/unmasking-reddits-violentacrez-the-biggest-troll-on-the-web

maryeliza54 Fri 15-Jun-18 20:29:44

Baggsthere is no legislation at the moment in E&W - why do you think the Government was prepared to give time for it and why did Scotland legislate 10 years ago? Thank you muffin for using appropriate language. I’d certainly read about the ‘premium’ on photos including tampon strings or menstrual blood.

alreadytaken Fri 15-Jun-18 20:32:38

current legislation is not effective and therefore is rarely being used.

The Scots have legislation against "upkilting" - an MP on TV this morning commented that since that covers both sexes it had got through faster.

If I had voted for the creep who blocked it I'd hang my head in shame and try to get him deselected.

maryeliza54 Fri 15-Jun-18 20:38:22

I don’t know who Joanna Williams is but making something illegal makes women victims? Like beating or raping your wife?Oh yes I get it now - think how the crime figures could go down

OldMeg Fri 15-Jun-18 20:41:33

Silly old codger. A disgrace to his party.

Baggs Fri 15-Jun-18 20:46:15

You can check her out on joannawilliams.org, mel. She talks a lot of sense.

Baggs Fri 15-Jun-18 20:47:45

The "do we actually need more legislation to deal with this" is coming up on Twitter.

maryeliza54 Fri 15-Jun-18 21:04:39

www.apccs.police.uk/latest_news/new-law-needed-make-skirting-sexual-offence

crystaltipps Fri 15-Jun-18 21:05:56

When was the last time anyone was convicted?

maryeliza54 Fri 15-Jun-18 21:14:04

That’s why we need the legislation - read the link.

Jalima1108 Fri 15-Jun-18 21:14:17

thats the tories for you,vile people
I agree with Paddyann.

So you agree with paddyann then, varian, in her illogical conclusion that all tories are vile people because of one renegade and very stupid MP when all the rest of the House was prepared to pass this amendment?

I suggest a group of Gransnetters (perhaps with the help of Mumsnetters) find him, debag him and start taking photos.

His behaviour was outrageous.

Jalima1108 Fri 15-Jun-18 21:15:46

I see that you have already suggested that maryeliza!

Jalima1108 Fri 15-Jun-18 21:18:26

A lot of women, including Gransnetters, have said that they do not wear knickers these days.

Well, next time I go out in a skirt I will be wearing proper bloomers.

The perverts of England and Wales?
We heard this over the car radio when we were travelling home today and DH queried whether or not this idiot is a pervert.

maryeliza54 Fri 15-Jun-18 21:19:08

This is so not a party issue. Trying to make it one just takes away from the real issue. However, this particular MP is not one to be commended and I still don’t understand his knighthood - I suppose there’s a list in date order of being elected and his name was top at New Year. Actually I don’t know why any MPs are knighted actually I don’t know why anyone is knighted ( but that’s for another thread)

maryeliza54 Fri 15-Jun-18 21:21:08

It would be nice though if his constituency party issued a statement saying they were not very happy with him

Jalima1108 Fri 15-Jun-18 21:22:04

dare we hope for de-selection?

Jalima1108 Fri 15-Jun-18 21:22:54

he's a barrister hmm

apologies to any barristers on here.

maryeliza54 Fri 15-Jun-18 21:26:08

Well to de-select they would first have to disagree and they haven’t yet. His father was a judge

Jalima1108 Fri 15-Jun-18 21:34:51

he must have inherited his lack of judgement from elsewhere then.

Baggs Fri 15-Jun-18 21:36:06

Isabel Hardman says: "He is part of a group of MPs with the odd hobby of objecting to Private Members’ Bills on principle because they don’t think that MPs from opposition parties should be able to write laws which could cost the government money or could be very bad policy."

So he was objecting to the bill "on principle" rather than saying that upskirting is okay.

Baggs Fri 15-Jun-18 21:37:16

Apparently a lot of Tory MPs are yelling at him tonight, so his 'principle' on PMBs is not shared by all Tories.