Gransnet forums

News & politics

Who would want to be an employer these days?

(27 Posts)
gillybob Sat 16-Jun-18 08:40:09

I am so angry I want scream ! Apologies in advance for long post.

I have said for a long time that this new Workplace Pension scheme will be the PPI of the future. All these employers and employees forced to pay money to these companies who have sprung up overnight in order to cash in on government legislation.

As a small employer I am forced to contribute an amount each month to a pension for my employees (note I do not pay into one for either myself or my husband) . The amounts we are forced to pay is on an upwards sliding scale relating to a percentage of earnings of the individual employee.

I have had lots of “dealings” with the pension provider since we were forced into this , mainly their absolute incompetence, their lack of transparency etc. But this week was the straw that has broke the camels back .

Late last Friday I received a nasty email warning me that my company had been reported to a government body for failing to make the required pension contributions. The letter warned that this could result in a fine or even imprisonmnet ! On Monday I emailed them pointing out that I BLOODY WELL HAVE met the contributions in full. This was followed by another email from them to say ........ “failure to contact us and make these payments means that we have wrote to all of your employees and have informed the dept of pensions and the pension regulator “

I spent most of Tuesday emailing and phoning them (they don’t answer the phone) and then yesterday I received an email from them with an attached letter. I am so angry ? I don’t know what to do .

Basically the email reads:

Dear gillybob

Please accept our sincere apologies for recent letters and emails informing you that you have failed to meet your obligations....... etc.

Having carried out a full investigation we are writing to you to tell you to disregard our perviuous correspondence as your payments are in fact fully up to date.

We are writing to each of your employees to apologise for this mistake and to correct the previous correspondence we have sent to them blah bloody blah.....

In other words for a week my employees have been thinking that I have not been paying their pension contributions. I have been reported to the pension regulator and they think this shitty email apology makes it all okay?

Sorry for the rant but I feel like exploding I am so angry !

knickas63 Mon 18-Jun-18 17:09:41

The Government is absolutely useless at anything to do with Tax, Benefits or Pensions, and there is noone to complain to effectively in most cases! They do what they bloody want!