Gransnet forums

News & politics

Now, that's more like it!

(59 Posts)
merlotgran Tue 19-Jun-18 16:15:16

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5860911/Prince-Harry-Meghan-Markle-join-Queen-Royal-Ascot.html

What a fabulous titfer!!

I've gone all 'My Fair Lady' grin

maddy629 Thu 21-Jun-18 05:59:38

Oh c'mon annsixty Have you never been just married and very much in love? Of course she wants to keep holding her husband's hand and touching him. When I first married my husband I could hardly keep my hands off him, still can't sometimes and we've been married 50 years.

maddy629 Thu 21-Jun-18 05:53:50

Mapleleaf I could not agree more. I think Meghan is doing really well. She looks lovely in everything she wears and, to me at least, our Queen seems to enjoy her company. Well done, Meghan.

Day6 Thu 21-Jun-18 02:05:40

How boring would a thread of "Oh I do like what MM is wearing at Ascot" followed by pages and pages of "yes I do too" hmm

Completely agree gillybob

The way some people seem aghast is strange. Do you think Meghan is scouring the chat forums of GN tonight? Don't we use these threads so we can voice our opinions - or is there only one opinion?

Public figures always have and always will be open to scrutiny. If we cannot speak (write) our minds, what on earth is the point of joining in on Gransnet.

I am becoming sick to the back teeth of those who feel it is their duty to pour scorn on others for their opinions, as if they occupy some sort of moral high ground. Give me honest and forthright opinions every time, as long as they abide by the T&Cs of the forum.

Self-appointed censors of thread morality, be offended all you like, but I will not curb my opinions. If views are stifled because they are not the 'right' views, whether we are discussing the royals or anything else, what on earth is the point of joining in? Gransnet might as well fold now.

Day6 Thu 21-Jun-18 01:47:44

I enjoyed looking at the royal outfits.

Not a fan of Meghan's hat or dress I'm afraid. The hat looked like it used liquorice sticks for decoration and the lop-sided nature of it didn't suit her (IMO) The dress was just wrong somehow. The belt and full skirt made her look rather squat and thickset, and she's neither.

Was I the only one who gasped at that first photo of her bending forward with most of her face hidden? What an uncanny resemblance to Wallace Simpson in profile! I was shocked!

One again Sophie Wessex proves she has real style and elegance. She knows what suits her.

The Queen seems to be styled by someone who used to make costumes for Coco the Clown. Perhaps she got the gig instead of Chanel? That yellow is ghastly and does not suit Her Maj. She got away with a bright outfit for the wedding but the stylist lost the plot with the Ascot coat and hat.

Sadly Beatrice and Eugenie looked frumpy and wore ill-fitting clothes and looked trussed up. They really shouldn't appear together. One sister might get away with no dress sense, in a crowd, but when they are together they do seem a strange, badly dressed pair...almost the joke royals. They really don't seem to know what suits them.

Anne looked elegant in a simple, plain outfit I thought, but Camilla needs to tone down the hats and bits of embellishment on her suits/coats.

Really, Sophie ought to be advising them all. She gets it just right, every time. Her poise, grace and style is extremely regal.

(I am glad I am not scrutinised like this when I go out, I ought to add!) grin

maryeliza54 Wed 20-Jun-18 23:46:46

Honestly - why so defensive of them? They are in their 30s and when they are in public ( working terribly hard for example at Ascot) they should behave appropriately (and she should get a new stylist)

merlotgran Wed 20-Jun-18 23:19:57

Who is criticising very single bit of their life? It is unusual to see a royal wife being so touchy feely so we're bound to comment on it.

Every single bit? Don't be daft.

Nonna22 Wed 20-Jun-18 23:08:32

For heavens sake annsixty. They’ve just got married, of course she wants to be constantly touching Harry. It’s what healthy, happy couples do, especially in the first heady days of marriage. I wish people would stop criticising every single bit of their life. Give them a break!

OldMeg Wed 20-Jun-18 22:21:54

Give it a rest for once gillybob

Nanna58 Wed 20-Jun-18 21:50:54

I’m just so envious of anyone who, unlike me , can wear a hat or fascinator without looking like ‘Benny’ from Crossroads lol ! ( Oops sorry Maw ! )

loopyloo Wed 20-Jun-18 17:11:47

Interesting that even Prince Harry has to wear a name badge.

HannahLoisLuke Wed 20-Jun-18 17:01:30

The hat was fine but the droopy shirtwaister was awful.
I've said before when she wore the oversized dressing gown to a wedding that I think she's being got at.
I loved the dress and shoulder cape that she wore for her engagement with the Queen, much more her style, let her wear more of that sort of dress.

Nanny41 Wed 20-Jun-18 16:56:43

Love her hat, in fact her whole outfit, I think her advisors have made the right choice this time, although GNetters will never agree, poor girl, there is always something wrong.Give her a break!

Kim19 Wed 20-Jun-18 16:56:19

I love the touch freely. Total break with protocol. Bravo! Just imagine she's a newlywed and in love.

Sheilasue Wed 20-Jun-18 15:23:43

There in ‘in love ‘ wasn’t you like that once I know me and h couldn’t keep our hands off one another when we were young sigh.
Not sure about the dress though.

petra Wed 20-Jun-18 14:27:59

maybon1
perfect in fact Well actually, yes grin
Many years ago I went to the first day of Ascot. Did I wear a shirt waster with some embroidery on it, no!
This is a formal day. In her position that 'casual' dress wasn't appropriate.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 20-Jun-18 14:09:25

annsixty She is in control when they are together with the clutching arm and the holding hands.. Noticed she stood in the background on the balcony Whether intentional or was advised. Not so confident when she was with the Queen, which would have been a daunting experience for her as a newcomer. Wonder what the future holds for this couple 'as a couple' once she finds her feet. Bring on the first pregnancy.!

sluttygran Wed 20-Jun-18 13:52:42

I think Meghan looks very nice, but Sophie looks absolutely stunning. She seems to improve with age - rather like me! grin

lollee Wed 20-Jun-18 13:10:59

SueDonim, i said that on daily mail thread but they didnt show it. Not half as offensive as some already on there.

Anniebach Wed 20-Jun-18 13:09:45

I would think she has a mind of her own

knspol Wed 20-Jun-18 13:08:13

Very demure look, lovely hat but did not seem quite 'her'. Do hope she's not being overly groomed by advisers.

NanKate Wed 20-Jun-18 12:56:26

Beatrice and Eugenia need to take a bit of advice from Meghan who looked a knock out. I wonder if she has an older sister for my DS, he scrubs up well ], but I would say that as I am his mum.

annodomini Wed 20-Jun-18 12:53:58

If I was wearing 7" heels, I'd want to cling on to a strong young man too.

lesley4357 Wed 20-Jun-18 12:27:59

Ffs who cares! The world is going to hell in a handcart and this is what bothers you?

vbennettuk Wed 20-Jun-18 11:34:52

And all paid for by the British Tax payers.

gillybob Wed 20-Jun-18 11:34:45

Shall we just all say that we love everything that she and anyone else in the public eye is wearing at all times. Actually we wouldn't need to would we? It would be a given.

How boring would a thread of "Oh I do like what MM is wearing at Ascot" followed by pages and pages of "yes I do too" hmm