Gransnet forums

News & politics

Melania’s Jacket deserves a thread of its own

(107 Posts)
maryeliza54 Fri 22-Jun-18 08:50:33

How, how, how could that happen? Is she completely devoid of any sense or empathy at all? You go to visit caged children who have been ripped from their parents and you wear a jacket proclaiming ‘ I really don’t care, do you?’

Iam64 Sat 23-Jun-18 20:15:04

Mimiro, are you suggesting the cayotes are another reason desperate families shouldn’t try to reach the land of milk and honey. There are cayotes all over the Middle East, exploiting people trying to escape wars and poverty by getting to Europe. We should be doing more to stop this and to offer refuge to those n need.

mimiro Sat 23-Jun-18 14:34:34

coyotes are people who take advantage of people trying to get into the states
they are smugglers and where the secondary slavery comes from.brought here and enslaved to coyote til fee is paid off

maryeliza54 Sat 23-Jun-18 14:21:49

That tracksuit message is lovely - I’d have that on a t-shirt any day.

Baggs Sat 23-Jun-18 14:02:18

if Teresa may had worn that jacket she would have beeen sectioned

I wish Theresa May would do something a bit bold.

lemongrove Sat 23-Jun-18 13:14:42

MaryE when all our children were small I took them to the church service wearing identical tracksuits, on the front
‘Nobody is Perfect’....on leaving the vicar beamed at them and said ‘ah, very true!’ His wife grinned and said, ‘yes but have you seen what it says on the back’ ( ‘My name is Nobody’) grin

maryeliza54 Sat 23-Jun-18 13:03:33

But stella she chose to wear it so she owns the message whatever it means

lemon well none of us is perfect - there you go.

lemongrove Sat 23-Jun-18 12:44:18

I think maybe some people forget which thread they are on
Pamela, either that or they are obsessed by Brexit!?

petra Sat 23-Jun-18 12:43:08

I see no mention here of Peter Fonda's tweet.
"We should rip Barron Trump from his mothers arms and put him in a cage with pedophiles and see if mother will stand up against the giant arshole she is married to "

stella1949 Sat 23-Jun-18 12:27:37

The coat comes with that message printed on it. She didn't have it made like that . The idea that she had some kind of hidden message is crazy , since she didn't think of it herself.

luzdoh Sat 23-Jun-18 10:12:26

Pebbles77

Good Point, you said,

if Teresa May had worn that jacket she would have beeen sectioned

It is a relief to think maybe we are different here!

PamelaJ1 Sat 23-Jun-18 07:39:48

So, another Brexit thread?
How can that have any relevance to M’s jacket.

alreadytaken Sat 23-Jun-18 07:23:10

Pebbles77 - if you voted for this government (and it's evident you didnt vote for the opposition) then you voted for austerity and for a referendum. You effectively voted for Brexit, whatever box you ticked later. If you voted for the clowns again you voted for idiots who cant negotiate their way through an open door.

Melania's jacket was attention seeking. If that was supposed to focus on the plight of refugees it didnt work. That was predictable and no-one seems to believe she is stupid.

maryeliza54 Sat 23-Jun-18 07:09:55

We have absolutely no evidence that she cares about the children - it seems increasingly clear to me that she will use any situation she can in her war with her husband and the visit and the jacket were part of this.

Davidhs Sat 23-Jun-18 06:27:13

Melania is silly and naive but she does care about kids. Wearing the jacket was meant to be two fingers up to the media " I really don't care what you think". Of course the " media" deliberately turned it back on her, they are much smarter, much more cruel than her.
A massive own goal she should listen to her press agent

Urmstongran Fri 22-Jun-18 23:37:03

It was me, earlier post, who said Melania is not stupid. We are here to ‘watch and learn’ people. Such statements, in these days of support by very savvy media personnel, are never unintended.

maryeliza54 Fri 22-Jun-18 22:28:52

Yes I can get that interpretation - lots of people thougt it was that - but what I criticise is that is was so wrong of her to be doing that ie using the message on the coat in those circumstances. I would see it as incredibly disrespectful to the children she professed to be concerned about and a potential distraction from the importance of the visit. And I don’t find it in the slightest subtle but stupid and childish and undignified. I thought I was missin* something but clearly not. I don’t feel the slightest bit sorry for her - she made choices as an adult and went for getting her citizenship and wealth - she supported DT in his ridiculous ‘birther’ campaign against Obsma. She put herself in the gilded cage and has lived well on it

Jalima1108 Fri 22-Jun-18 21:19:04

I feel quite sorry for her, I think she is trapped in a gilded cage at the moment but cannot leave for the time being.

Jalima1108 Fri 22-Jun-18 21:18:17

Yes, I am sure that she cares - she rarely speaks out but did so on this occasion and followed up with a visit.
and the message was what suzied thought:
the visit and coat was two fingers to him.

maryeliza54 Fri 22-Jun-18 21:01:13

Jal so are you saying that the message on the jacket was that she cares about the children? And the subtlety was in proclaiming the opposite? Genuine question.

Jalima1108 Fri 22-Jun-18 20:38:29

How, how, how could that happen? Is she completely devoid of any sense or empathy at all? You go to visit caged children who have been ripped from their parents and you wear a jacket proclaiming ‘ I really don’t care, do you?’

In fact, I don't think the majority on here have got her message at all!!

Jalima1108 Fri 22-Jun-18 20:37:09

Melania is not stupid
I don't think she is either

Baggs Fri 22-Jun-18 20:33:10

It could not be a coincidence that she was wearing that jacket and showing her concern for those immigrant children at the same time.

Subtly put, jal. Someone else made a similar point when they said Melania is not stupid

Jalima1108 Fri 22-Jun-18 20:08:09

perhaps it was rather too subtle a message

Jalima1108 Fri 22-Jun-18 20:07:19

It could not be a coincidence that she was wearing that jacket and showing her concern for those immigrant children at the same time.

Or does no-one else see that - are they too busy pearl-clutching and only seeing the bad because her name is Trump?

varian Fri 22-Jun-18 20:07:17

I would say Melania is less unpopular than her husband. I don't think either of them could be described as popular except in some very strange parts of the USA.