Gransnet forums

News & politics

Melania’s Jacket deserves a thread of its own

(106 Posts)
maryeliza54 Fri 22-Jun-18 08:50:33

How, how, how could that happen? Is she completely devoid of any sense or empathy at all? You go to visit caged children who have been ripped from their parents and you wear a jacket proclaiming ‘ I really don’t care, do you?’

Teetime Fri 22-Jun-18 08:53:20

You wonder what was going on in the head of her 'maid' or whatever she has' style consultant' perhaps - sabotage?

Oopsadaisy53 Fri 22-Jun-18 08:55:37

I think she knew exactly what she was doing, she is too media savvy to let something like that happen to her without her approval.

She decides to wear a cheap jacket rather than her designer clothes? That’s no mistake.

maryeliza54 Fri 22-Jun-18 08:56:42

And to think that MT was allowed to stay in the States via the so-called Einstein visa. She has to own this herself - how could she?

maryeliza54 Fri 22-Jun-18 08:57:41

I don’t care what the jacket cost - it’s the slogan on it for goodness sake in that context.

SueDonim Fri 22-Jun-18 09:06:44

How tone deaf can you be?? shock

Luckygirl Fri 22-Jun-18 09:08:56

She really can't be that thick that she does not know what the message says and sends out to everyone. Sickening.

Welshwife Fri 22-Jun-18 09:14:04

I saw somewhere that the slogan on the back refers to ‘fake news’. Who would know that!
I would have thought that any slogans on clothing sheould be understood by everyone not just those ‘in the know’.

NanaandGrampy Fri 22-Jun-18 09:15:11

You have to wonder how someone who should be so media savvy , and has enough money to make King Midas look poor does not have someone styling her OR watching her back ( sorry couldn't help myself ;-) ) who didn't recognise that this was inappropriate ?

gillybob Fri 22-Jun-18 09:20:24

I think you’re right Welshwife the jacket slogan did refer to “fake news” . Unfortunate ( to say the least ) that it has been misinterpreted .

I think that MT is very stylish btw .

maryeliza54 Fri 22-Jun-18 09:23:12

Has it been misinterpreted though? Who knows? Either way, it’s uttetly unforgivable - what a FLOTUS.

yggdrasil Fri 22-Jun-18 09:23:26

I think that was aimed at Donald. Maybe the worm is turning?

Pebbles77 Fri 22-Jun-18 09:23:33

The Trump couple are unbelievable aren’t they ? ! I just really don’t know what else to say ... and calling some Mexicans Kayotes .... it’s like the nazis again ... deplorable ... children crying .. pulled away from Mummy and Daddy
Ugh ... Trump ... what the hell ?????

gillybob Fri 22-Jun-18 09:31:20

I’m not defending the horrible way that children were separated from their families but that aside America has a huge refugee problem with thousands coming in from Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador and Mexico every year .

gillybob Fri 22-Jun-18 09:31:57

.... and Canada don’t seem to want any of them either .

Devorgilla Fri 22-Jun-18 09:35:00

One of my daughters was saying last night that when you make a difference between you and 'others', the 'others' become less human in your mind. Now, being the age I am, I think I have seen all that before. It seems on the increase - people with disabilities, overweight people, less attractive people, migrants, to name but a few regarded as 'others'.

luluaugust Fri 22-Jun-18 09:37:04

Perhaps she really doesn't care and the slogan covers life generally. Even our Royals have managed to avoid this - so far, I wonder what they would like to have written on their backs. Totally thoughtless I would love to know what if anything she was thinking.

NfkDumpling Fri 22-Jun-18 09:39:59

My first reaction was that it was aimed at Donald. She obviously does care about the children. A lot. Otherwise she’d have kept quiet.

Coconut Fri 22-Jun-18 09:40:40

She married a man who most women I know find absolutely physically repulsive, so I would question her judgement anyway. They are saying the slogan referred to the press and fake news, however, a massive error of judgement to wear it on this occasion.

Jaycee5 Fri 22-Jun-18 09:41:15

gillybob The US has a refugee problem because it has interfered in South American countries. Every time they have someone in charge who wants to do their best for their own country, the US helps to oust them. They are currently causing problems in Guatemala and they have a lot of responsibility for the problems in Venezuela, Columbia, Chile and Mexico. The US reaps what it sows.

Devorgilla Fri 22-Jun-18 09:42:25

Her advisors should have spotted this, given that she didn't herself. Best scenario is that she forgot there was a slogan on the back and it is a favourite jacket. Worst, it was worn with intent. DT has tweeted it related to 'fake news' so I guess we have to accept that as the final word and 'gospel truth'.

dragonfly46 Fri 22-Jun-18 09:48:33

I am afraid Trump's nationalism is endemic and that is what led to WW2!

gillybob Fri 22-Jun-18 09:51:43

So it’s not about escaping drug crime and violence at all then Jaycee5 ?

Jaycee5 Fri 22-Jun-18 09:54:41

gillybob Of course much of it does. That does not contradict my point. What do you think the result of destabilising countries is?

MaizieD Fri 22-Jun-18 09:54:42

DT has tweeted it related to 'fake news' so I guess we have to accept that as the final word and 'gospel truth'.

I'm sure you were being sarcastic, Devorgilla grin DT and the gospel truth don't seem to be at all acquainted with each other..

I don't care what excuses are made for the wearing of that jacket. I don't believe any of them. It was a vile thing to do.