Gransnet forums

News & politics

Spare a thought for the North West

(22 Posts)
Iam64 Mon 02-Jul-18 08:41:10

Thanks for the link MaizieD - it covers the fire on Saddleworth moor. I'm a few miles away, close the the fire raging on Winter Hill, Rivington Pike, Horrocks Moor and still spreading it seems. I read a newspaper report yesterday, that referred to Rivington as being in Chorley. Still, we're in the northern poor house, who'd expect any reported to actually understand which town is closest to the fire - it's Bolton and it's surrounding villages\

We can see the smoke wherever we are in the area it seems. Yesterday, the Fire Service and Mountain Rescue asked people to donate water, energy drinks, energy bars and sandwiches. We heard this and within half an hour were meeting up with other people, delivering those things to our local fire station.
It's grim and so sad.

OldMeg Mon 02-Jul-18 08:09:40

I’ll second that Juggernaut

Juggernaut Mon 02-Jul-18 07:44:20

This morning, the news arrived that idiots have been deliberately starting even more fires up on the moors, so now the police have to spend precious time there attempting to apprehend them!
I don't think the police should arrest them though, far better to leave them there, handcuffed to a metal stake. If they want to see a moorland fire, let them see one up close and personal!
They're more than happy to risk the lives of others, so let's see how they feel when it's their lives!
We'd only be helping the cause of Darwinism after all!

nigglynellie Sat 30-Jun-18 16:14:27

Radio 4 came from Exmoor this morning, DH and I were interested because we used to live there. We and the commentator were completely dumbfounded to hear that a person had been seen recently shaking out the still glowing embers from a barbecue onto the tinder dry moorland!!! Apparently when approached by an official, they seemed completely unaware of the potential mayhem and destruction they could have inadvertently caused! You just don't know what to say!!????

Ilovecheese Sat 30-Jun-18 15:19:42

Seems to depend which way the wind is blowing, whether or not areas are affected. The day before yesterday central Manchester was badly affected by smoke but better the last two days. I live in South Manchester, nothing here except a faint smell of burning yesterday, thought I was imagining it at first but others could smell it too. Nothing today.

Anniebach Sat 30-Jun-18 15:15:51

farview, I read your post, I have been waiting for a report that a fire would be started deliberately, this happens here often, one mountain fire televised followed by several deliberately started.

farview Sat 30-Jun-18 14:56:31

Hadn't seen this and so put a thread on chat!!

JenniferEccles Thu 28-Jun-18 16:54:46

Now Wimbledon is a different matter. I love it and will watch as much as I can. Come on Andy, come on Kyle!

Sorry, this is nothing to do with the original post.

Sadly I expect the increased breeze will only fan any remaining flames, making it even more difficult for the fire service. It's such a shame to wish for rain at this time of the year, but that is what all those affected will hope for.

OldMeg Thu 28-Jun-18 15:20:08

Dreadful.

lemongrove Thu 28-Jun-18 14:30:02

Unfortunately, Saddleworth Moor still has awful connotations for me ( Moors Murders) but yes, it has been a really bad fire there, I don’t take the newspapers anymore so can’t say anything about that, but I have seen the tv reports every day.

nigglynellie Thu 28-Jun-18 14:25:36

We've got Wimbledon to get through yet!!?. I understand Serena Williams is to be ranked number 26! I know this will be an enormous relief to posters on here!!! Actually I used to love the tennis,, but not now too much money too much intensity, in fact just TOO much!!!
I do feel extremely sorry for people caught up in this dreadful fire, it was on the news at 1pm. It is just appalling and hopefully it can be got under some sort of control very soon.

MawBroon Thu 28-Jun-18 13:42:37

I hope my heavy sarcasm was clear ?

JenniferEccles Thu 28-Jun-18 13:17:11

Oh I see.The dreaded World Cup.

Well of course we all know that must take priority over everything don't we?

Roll on mid July when it's all over.

MawBroon Thu 28-Jun-18 13:11:14

Bumped off some of the front pages by such really important stories such as Germany’s exit from the World Cup JenniferEccles

Greyduster Thu 28-Jun-18 13:10:42

It will take some putting out that’s for sure. You can extinguish the fire on top of the peat, but it will still be banked down underneath, which is why they probably thought they had got on top of it and then it flared up again. When I was a child I could see across nearby moorland from my bedroom window, and one very hot summer, it caught fire. You could see the flames at night and the smoke drifting across the Southwest of the city during the day. It took weeks before it was finally put out, and for years nothing would grow on it. Saddleworth is a much bigger area. It’s very sad.

MaizieD Thu 28-Jun-18 13:03:49

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-44638416

Alygran Thu 28-Jun-18 12:35:45

Could see this from the plane landing at Leeds last night. Both DDs live nearby. It has been smoky in Manchester and Glossop depending on the wind direction. DD2 says there is black smoke today in Rochdale.
Army and RAF now assisting.

JenniferEccles Thu 28-Jun-18 11:56:46

I don't know why you think there hasn't been enough coverage of this in the news MawBoon

I believe it was the top story on the 10pm BBC tv news last night.

Yes I imagine rain is hoped for, but we have a strong high pressure system over us at the moment, so probably unlikely.

Panache Thu 28-Jun-18 10:50:21

Appalling indeed and how our hearts go out to all those affected, and obviously those brave Fire fighters who do such a marvellous......and oft ........thankless job of work.

It is shocking that such a blaze does not get much more publicity,whilst there must be families badly affected ......possibly by being in near proximity and in danger themselves,whilst of course, those toxic fumes will be lethal to breathe in,especially to those suffering breathing problems.

Not such fun and games or an enjoyable heatwave for these poor people.

Thinking of you all up there in the Manchester area

MaizieD Thu 28-Jun-18 10:44:14

My garden's praying for rain here in the NE, MB...

Apologies if that sounds frivolous and unsympathetic but we have plenty of moorland which could go exactly the same way. The hot weather is a refreshing change from the long series of cold wet summers we've had recently but a spot of well timed rain wouldn't come amiss anywhere.

MawBroon Thu 28-Jun-18 10:40:34

Bumping this up.
Is there anybody from the Greater Manchester area who can tell us whether they are affected?
I can’t help but think if this was the Home Counties, Sussex Downs or wherever, there might be more in the media hmm

MawBroon Thu 28-Jun-18 09:34:54

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/saddleworth-moor-fire-take-weeks-14838790

This sounds appalling and while the rest of the country is enjoying the lovely hot weather, I suspect Manchester and the NW must be praying for rain.