Gransnet forums

News & politics

Good News

(38 Posts)
varian Mon 02-Jul-18 17:31:39

It seems that the twelve boys and their football coach who were lost in a cave in Thailand for nine days have been found. Let's hope they are all alive and can recover.

MaizieD Mon 02-Jul-18 17:33:28

Oh, I am so glad. Like you, I do hope they're alive and recover from their terrible experience.

merlotgran Mon 02-Jul-18 17:36:32

Wonderful news. All hopes and prayers for their survival.

Baggs Mon 02-Jul-18 17:41:16

Latest news is that they're all alive but it's going to be quite a task getting them out. Here's hoping ???

Welshwife Mon 02-Jul-18 17:44:11

Isn’t it great news - enough to brighten up any day,

Jalima1108 Mon 02-Jul-18 18:24:57

I somehow missed this news shock
Let's hope they are all safe

PamelaJ1 Mon 02-Jul-18 18:33:37

Totally fantastic.
All credit to the rescuers.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 02-Jul-18 20:17:47

Pictures of them on Channel 4 news. Getting them out will, apparently, be difficult, and so they are to be medically assessed and fed to make sure they are strong enough to be moved out. Fingers are still crossed that it can be done safely, but obviously nobody is rushing things now that they seem to be safe.

lemongrove Mon 02-Jul-18 20:26:13

Getting them out is going to be very difficult, the divers only got in because, well, they are divers, so pumping water out quickly is the thing now ( more rain is expected this week.)
Marvellous news that they have been found alive though.

Scribbles Mon 02-Jul-18 20:32:42

Can only wish them and their rescuers well.

Eloethan Mon 02-Jul-18 21:30:16

Thank goodness. There hasn't been an awful lot of coverage in the news about this and I've been wondering what had happened. Let's hope they all get out safely.

Feelingmyage55 Mon 02-Jul-18 21:50:10

Amazingly good news. How wonderful that all those rescuers had the faith to keep going, to risk themselves, against terrifyingly dangerous conditions. What a reward for them too. I m so pleased for the boys and for their families.

grannyactivist Mon 02-Jul-18 22:46:39

Good news indeed and well done to Richard William Stanton, Robert Charles Harper and John Volanthen, the three British divers who journeyed to Thailand to share their skills and experience with the local rescuers. [star emoji]

Smileless2012 Tue 03-Jul-18 08:04:26

It's wonderful news but they may have to stay put until Octobershockso have been given 4 months worth of food.

Their parents must be so relieved and desperate to have them back home.

OldMeg Tue 03-Jul-18 08:52:21

Remember the rescue of the Chilean miners? That was an amazing story and, hopefully, this will also have a successful outcome. I’ll certainly be following the news on this.

??

BlueBelle Fri 06-Jul-18 08:26:30

Terrible news this morning as one of the divers helping trying to get the boys out has died, running out of oxygen whilst getting food to them

Eloethan Fri 06-Jul-18 09:50:33

That is really awful. These people are so brave.

Squiffy Fri 06-Jul-18 10:17:00

So very, very sad. It's actually made me cry. I'm quite phobic about tunnels, caves etc, so their bravery amazes me.

Jalima1108 Fri 06-Jul-18 10:21:35

Oh dear, that is dreadful news Bluebelle

They are all so brave, as are the children themselves. The boys look so thin, let's hope they can regain their strength - and how are they sleeping on that slope with the water just below them?

BlueBelle Fri 06-Jul-18 11:26:11

It’s totally heartbreaking I don’t know how they will get them out one of the divers said the only way would be to sedate the boys and tie them to a diver as it’s nearly a six mile swim and the boys are not swimmers but you can’t sedate a boy for six hourly safely I wouldn’t think outside a hospital
Some of the tunnels to go through to get back are only a metre high
Squiffy I m phobic too went in just a squeezy passage way in NZ could still see the sky but that freaked me out even
Those poor mums too !

PECS Fri 06-Jul-18 11:30:15

It is an appalling situation. Their families must be distraught. Have there been any offers of help from any other experts?

BlueBelle Fri 06-Jul-18 12:05:53

There’s heaps of people and countries involved PECS it was two British divers that found them There are doctors divers navy seal, counsellors volunteers of all kind there
they are pumping water out but not as fast as it’s filling up
It’s a complete and utter nightmare situation

merlotgran Fri 06-Jul-18 13:19:40

How bloody insensitive of FIFA offering the boys free tickets to the World Cup final if they get out in time. angry The poor parents must be beside themselves with worry.

varian Fri 06-Jul-18 19:34:51

It is a terrible tragedy that the brave rescuer, an experienced cave diver delivering oxygen to the boys, has lost his life.

This must alert the other rescuers to the potential dangers of trying to guide the boys back out though these flooded caverns. I hope they can find another way of rescuing them on time.

AlgeswifeVal Sun 08-Jul-18 06:48:31

I keep thinking about those poor people trapped. It has got to be one if the worse things to happen.