Gransnet forums

News & politics

Likely consequenses of brexit

(830 Posts)
varian Tue 03-Jul-18 20:40:02

If brexit happens, as I fear it probably will, the consequences, both intended and unintended, are likely to damage this country to an unprecedented extent.

As it is the most important political issue of our times, I believe we should continue to discuss it on GN, but we must be prepared for a continuence of the blind unreasoning dogma we have had so far from the little band of brexitextreemists on GN who will just keep their fingers in their ears.

Even so, I think it is important to continue to seek out the truth. We owe it to our children and grandchildren.

Jalima1108 Tue 28-Aug-18 22:28:15

varian it's probably about as believable as someone claiming that BANES is in the South-West.

varian Tue 28-Aug-18 20:08:10

No, Jalima , I do not think a poll of Express readers is in any way representative of the South West of England or anywhere else.

Jalima1108 Tue 28-Aug-18 19:51:20

Probably as representative of the population as your South-West poll varian hmm

Fennel Tue 28-Aug-18 19:44:29

And me Endrel.

GillT57 Tue 28-Aug-18 19:37:57

Endre123, couldn't agree with you more.

varian Tue 28-Aug-18 15:24:14

According to Beau "more people want to leave now than at the time of the referendum, according to recent polls negotiations."

Was that a poll by the Express of its own readers, by any chance? Like this one published before the referendum:-

"Daily Express Lampooned Over 'Voodoo Poll' Claiming 92% Of Brits Want To Leave The EU"

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2016/02/05/daily-express-website-poll-eu-ridiculed_n_9165496.html

endre123 Tue 28-Aug-18 12:34:02

It's not a case of "both sides" any more. Read history, how it was in Germany in 1920s - 30s and many Brits are acting exactly like that. Blind to everything happening around them, the 2 million children living in poverty, the huge loss of careers, families having to take on three zero hour contract jobs to keep a roof over their heads. This all at just the threat of Brexit which had already wrecked our international reputation.
Many countries have said they will not deal with us, this Govt is putting their personal gains before its' people and even more will suffer in the massive austerity when we finally leave. We already have the highest death rate in Europe, f all ages, the NHS cannot cope and there will be little money for funding public services after Brexit.

Brexit increasingly looks like the British rich at war with the rest of the country in its aim to make the country an international Tax Haven. We are not going to get any country supporting something as awful as the Tory Brexit, the Govt knows it will hurt many millions of British and still insists it must happen.

The referendum was advisory, it was illegal in the way it allowed billionaires erode our democracy by buying votes through the worst lies ever said in a campaign. We saw Tory Ministers speak in the HoC of "sidestepping" democracy to get what they demand and they were not punished? The people are angry with them for taking our trust and hard earned tax money and using it to further their own personal ambitions. No empathy, no compassion, the British people are being treated as if they are a commodity,

humptydumpty Tue 28-Aug-18 12:11:25

Beau, what are these polls of which you speak?

The four most recent readings - taken by BMG Research and Survation between November and January - have, on average, once the 8% who said "don't know" are left to one side, put Remain on 52% and Leave on 48%.

from John Curtice
Professor of Politics at Strathclyde University

Welshwife Tue 28-Aug-18 12:07:19

Yes Maizie it is.

If you read further to some of the replies you will see it is transported mainly in another form which lasts up to 66 hours - less than 3 days - and is transformed into the type needed for use.

GillT57 Tue 28-Aug-18 12:04:53

Beau I don't see much hysteria, just sensible, calm reporting of scenarios which will involve all of us. I don't know what makes me more angry; the fact that people's decision to vote Brexit is going to seriously affect my future economic security, finances, health, well being etc., or the rude dismissal of my concerns.

Grandad1943 Tue 28-Aug-18 11:52:08

Beau, regarding your post @ 22:26 on the 28/08/18, could you please explain how you feel the European Union have been “bullying” in its negotiations with Britain in regard to the UK leaving Europe. The EU has four fundamental freedoms which underpin its whole existence and to which all twenty-eight member state governments freely signed up to including Britain.

The four above freedoms encompass the free movement of capital, goods, services and people. In that, the UK wishes to retain the free movement of goods, services and capital on leaving Europe but not the free movement of people. All twenty-seven other member states have stated those terms are not acceptable as any nation wishing to trade in any one freedom has to trade in all as that is laid out in the European Charter.

Therefore Beau, where is the “bullying” in the above European Union statements and actions?

Also, Beau, you speak in the same posting of those who feel Britain should remain in the European Union bringing forward *hysterical scenarios” should the UK leave the EU. In that, I have only placed posts on this forum in regard to the effects on the Road Transport Industry should Britain leave the European Union without a customs agreement. I have worked in and around the foregoing industry for almost all my working career and therefore I only give my experience and opinions in that field and nothing else regarding Brexit.

You also state Beau that you have not seen any changes in your own life regarding Brexit. That is probably because Britain has not actually taken leave of the European Union at this point in time. That action will take place in March 2019 with all its consequences unless public opinion continues to change in the way it is at present.

MaizieD Tue 28-Aug-18 11:47:59

Is this it, Welshwife?

1/ Medical radioisotopes and ‘no-deal’ Brexit.

What’s the problem and how will patients be affected?

What will be done to protect these vital NHS services?

Here’s a thread on the issues surrounding a nuclear #NoDealBrexit.

twitter.com/DrAndrewKuc/status/1034028018723893248

Fennel Tue 28-Aug-18 11:41:07

That's the kind of thing that worries me most, Welshwife.
And medicines which are made in Europe and imported to the UK.

GillT57 Tue 28-Aug-18 11:40:08

There have been many medical professionals saying the same Welshwife but they are inevitably dismissed as 'experts' by those who are obsessed and determined that this mass economic, financial, medical and social suicide should go ahead. Just what will it take for people to wake up? 96% decrease in applications from EU nationals for medical positions, look at that figure again 96%....It takes 4 years from this September for a nurse to get qualified and be on the wards. So what happens inbetween?

Welshwife Tue 28-Aug-18 11:29:22

There is a thread on Twitter by a doctor - Andrew Kuc @ Drandrewkuc - about the supply of radioisotopes. Many of them which are widely used have a very short lifespan - he points out the consequences of any sort of blip in the supply chain. There is also a question of quality if they are purchased elsewhere as well as the potentional cost.
Any of you needing treatment involving this sort of radiation or scan etc need to be very worried if there is a no deal Brexit or no agreement with Euratom

I am sorry to those interested but I cannot do Twitter links but a search should find him - read the whole thread.

Bridgeit Mon 27-Aug-18 22:32:50

But surely similar can be said of both sides ?

Beau Mon 27-Aug-18 22:26:01

And I feel you are mistaken Grandad1943 - more people want to leave now than at the time of the referendum, according to recent polls - sick of the bullying EU and shocked by the way they have treated us over these so-called negotiations. The reason I don't post any more on these threads is that you remoaners only like listening to yourselves in an echo chamber, it's boring to read and the hysterical scenarios bear no relation to anything I have seen or heard of in my own life.

Grandad1943 Mon 27-Aug-18 21:46:32

Not bitter retainers Nicenanny3, just people who have looked realistically at the leave situation and drawn the conclusion that Brexit will be an economic and social disaster for Britain.

The above people are now growing rapidly in numbers I feel.

Bridgeit Mon 27-Aug-18 21:46:23

It is not bitterness, certainly not for me, I can’t equate the term bitterness in context to this discussion, or leaving the EU, there are far more tings to be concerned about than feeling bitter.

Nicenanny3 Mon 27-Aug-18 21:33:31

Goodness me there are a lot of bitter remainers on here.

Bridgeit Mon 27-Aug-18 21:15:59

This country is taking a backwards step. The boil has been lanced, we should have a 2nd referendum based on facts not fantasy, hearsay & wishful thinking

varian Mon 27-Aug-18 18:06:00

If brexit actually should happen, as I still think is likely, there will be huge damage to our country and to so many families and individuals.

Many of the people we need the most in the UK, who are skilled, well qualified and experienced will leave, and they are the people we need the most.

Half of my family are now planning to emigrate to another EU country. My grandchildren will no longer be near grandparents and cousins, and will have to learn a new language when they are half-way through their education, but their parents value their EU citizenship and do not want to continue to live in a nasty brexitted "little britain".

I love my family, I love being Scottish, British and Euaropean and I am finding it difficult to forgive those who voted for this disaster.

varian Sat 25-Aug-18 19:25:23

This "we respect the result of the referendum" nonsense is what has led the government into trying to square the circle. It is nonsense. If the negotiations had been easy, or at least not impossible, they would have succeeded after two years.

The referendum was ill-conceived, fraudulent and based on lies. We should not bow to the wishes of Vladimir Putin, Arron Banks, Steve Bannon, Rupert Murdoch and the other malign forces who fooled too many people for their own ends.

Let's learn from our mistakes. Most Britons do not want to be living in a "third country" (or is that a "third world country"?)

MaizieD Fri 24-Aug-18 10:18:24

I don't think that making contingency plans is a sign of incompetence

No?

I think the fact that we've got to the stage of making contingency plans after nearly 2 years of 'negotiations' is a sign of incomptence.

The EU prepared detailed analysis of what would happen in the event of 'no deal' many many months ago. That the UK government has left it to almost the last minute to do so also seems like a sign of incompetence to me...

Jalima1108 Fri 24-Aug-18 09:53:34

the country is being "run" by incompetent eegits
I don't think that making contingency plans is a sign of incompetence and would, in fact, like to know what Jeremy Corbyn would be doing in Theresa May's place - going round in every-decreasing circles, I should imagine.

As for the Scottish Leader, she does a lot of shouting the odds against everything.