Gransnet forums

News & politics

Trump Blimp

(261 Posts)
notanan2 Fri 06-Jul-18 12:16:59

Im not at all pro trump but IMO this is awful

It is not a "protest". Ive been on protests. They have a point and an aim

What is point/aim here?
That they don't like his appearance & don't want UK to even try to negotiate?
They don't want us to be the "bigger person" as a nation? they want us to be as childish and petty as him?

Its embarrassing and diplomatically dangerous, NOT an exercise in constructive protect or free speech

Fennel Wed 18-Jul-18 12:12:35

Exactly, trisher.

trisher Wed 18-Jul-18 11:30:35

I suppose he realised he had better stay on the good side of the security service, they are after all responsible for his safety and he wouldn't want any nasty slip ups would he? After all there is the story of who really shot Kennedy!!! grin

Cherrytree59 Wed 18-Jul-18 10:58:31

If it was a film ... .. Dumb and Dumber springs to mind.

Who put the lights out?
A metaphor?
The lights are on but there's nobody in!hmm

Lazigirl Wed 18-Jul-18 09:45:36

That is perfect Merlogran I have seen similar with TM as BJs handmaid.

Fennel Wed 18-Jul-18 09:31:22

Reminds me of the joke about the little boy in RE class. Teacher asks " Who broke down the walls of Jericho?"
Little boy puts up his hand "It wasn't me miss, it was him!"

merlotgran Wed 18-Jul-18 09:00:35

From facebook. The Small Handmaid's Tale. grin

Blinko Wed 18-Jul-18 07:55:53

What's incredible is how his followers cannot (or will not) see him for what he is. A walking catastrophe.

varian Tue 17-Jul-18 23:04:27

Here here- you could not make it up

lemongrove Tue 17-Jul-18 22:53:01

Wasn’t that an amazing thing to see? Trump in defensive mode, arms crossed saying that ( new favourite) word miss-spoke! Apparently, so he would have us all believe he said the word ‘would’ ( as in, ‘why would the Russians do that?’)
When he really meant to say ‘why wouldn’t the Russians do that?’ Regarding meddling in the US election.
Why wouldn’t they indeed.
Extraordinary!

Iam64 Tue 17-Jul-18 22:20:28

Oh my, Mr T now says he misspoke and Russia may have interfered plus, he loves the American security services so that’s all ok then

varian Tue 17-Jul-18 13:21:25

President Donald Trump had a golden opportunity on Monday to stare down Russian President Vladimir Putin and tell him, in no uncertain terms, that Russia's meddling in the 2016 election was totally unacceptable, and that if anything like it continued going forward, there would be major and serious penalties to pay.

Instead, standing next to Putin at the US-Russia summit in Helsinki, Trump did the opposite. "I hold both countries responsible," Trump said in response to a question from the American press about Russia's interference. "I think that the United States has been foolish. We've all been foolish. We're all to blame." He went on to deride the FBI, special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation, the US intelligence community, I mean, WHAT? W-H-A-T?

edition.cnn.com/2018/07/16/politics/donald-trump-vladimir-putin-press-conference/index.html

varian Tue 17-Jul-18 13:09:58

Trump’s readiness to defend himself against his own intelligence services on the issue of Russian collusion in the 2016 election is astonishing given the charges laid last week against 12 Russian operatives by the FBI team led by Robert Mueller. At their joint press conference, he said repeatedly he won the election fairly and brilliantly.

Trump’s humiliating performance contrasts with Putin’s control. Trump’s defence of Russia sparks barrage of US criticism. His positive response to Putin’s proposal that the two states should use a criminal cooperation treaty to pursue the investigation cuts right across domestic critics determined to see him impeached on the issue. Trump is testing his Republican party’s patriotism to the limit in so prioritising his own interests against the US legal process in cooperation with Putin.

www.irishtimes.com/opinion/editorial/irish-times-view-on-trump-putin-summit-1.3567086

Lazigirl Tue 17-Jul-18 09:50:12

I don't think the aim of the protest was to change US citizen's views, as I doubt that Trump changed people's views about Brexit by his advice to our PM. It appears he has stirred up enough controversy back home himself.

Blinko Tue 17-Jul-18 07:58:47

It seems to me that a large swathe of middle America (Trumpland) have little cognisance of the rest of the world and couldn't give a hoot what other countries think.

eazybee Tue 17-Jul-18 07:49:01

I wonder how much coverage the protests achieved in America, and if they served to change any one elector's opinion of their President?

Lazigirl Mon 16-Jul-18 21:34:08

I didn't know about that Varian, it sounds quite chilling and a relief that it was never implemented. I did notice a lot of young ones, particularly women at the demonstrations, which passed off peacefully and was very encouraging. Thank goodness we are still able to exercise our right to free speech in this country.

varian Mon 16-Jul-18 16:38:35

Over 100,000 people demonstrated against Trump, and that was just in London. No doubt some were unemployed, but thanks to the Liberal Democrats when they were in coalition, they were still entitled to do so.

During the coalition years, Iain Duncan Smith came up with a plan: if unemployed people went on a demonstration, and the police stopped them for any reason, the officer should pass their names on to the Department for Work and Pensions, which could then freeze their benefits. After all, the minister’s reasoning went, if you had time to protest, you weren’t actively seeking work.

This was just one of the many David Cameron-era Tory proposals that the Liberal Democrats quashed before it ever saw the light of day.

varian Sun 15-Jul-18 18:10:54

Although I am not a Labour Party supporter, I think that Saddiq Khan seems to be doing a good job. He is someone who appears to be rational, and decent, and has the best interests of Londoners at heart, a much finer person than Donald Trump.

Bridgeit Sat 14-Jul-18 10:04:30

Ref Luccklegs’s post

Bridgeit Sat 14-Jul-18 10:03:52

Saddick?
It’s funny, it’s also funny that people can find humour in most things, just an observation but don’t we tell our children off for name calling ?

Blinko Sat 14-Jul-18 06:42:21

This man has no manners, no class, little intelligence and deserves to be lampooned, imo. He is a self serving monstrosity and a proven liar. Who can respect such a man?

Fabricant's attempt at 'retaliation' for the blimp is quite appalling and, as someone has already remarked, in a different league of vileness and racism.

In my view, Saddiq Khan is shaping up as a far better Mayor than Johnson ever was. Though I am not a Londoner.

Grandma70s Sat 14-Jul-18 06:26:37

One of the best ways of protesting against people is laughing at them. There were jokes and comedy programmes about Hitler during the war, not only here but in occupied countries. The blimp does seem a little childish, I sgree, but it ridicules the man who very much deserves ridiculing. My DIL works in central London and she thought it, and the huge protests, were brilliant. There were plenty of Americans among the protestors.

He was late for both the Prime Minister and the Queen. Unbelievable bad manners. I watched his press conference with Mrs May in open-mouthed disbelief as he told her that Boris Johnson would make a great Prime Minister.

Luckylegs9 Sat 14-Jul-18 05:08:11

Saddick Khan should not be Mayor, he has shown its all about him, he shows no judgement or impartiality. Trump is President, he needs to be humoured I'm afraid, his childish outbursts make him look stupid not us, we cannot go to his level, the government is behaving entirely appropriately, if people get low you get higher.

Rhinestone Sat 14-Jul-18 03:24:29

Trumps friend,Rupert Murdoch, owns The Sun. I cannot, in my whole life, remember a more vile, racist, narcissistic, misogynistic mean and spiteful human being let alone a president. I may not have agreed with some of the others but I respected them. He was late for your queen and never bowed or curtsied.
He makes fun of handicapped people and says war heroes are not heroes if they get caught.
I loved the blimp and my friends and I are hoping you all say a prayer for us
that we get through this presidency without him starting another war.

Iam64 Fri 13-Jul-18 20:19:18

Hello Rhinestone -it's good to see you on this thread. Thanks for your thanks, I couldn't get to London but I'm with the demonstrators in spirit. My American friends are disgusted with Trump, ashamed of his as Potus for all the reasons you list.
His comments during his visit to the UK have been as he always is, bullying , dishonest, distorting of any reality of this just lying. My favourite today has been him accusing the sun of lying about his interview with them "fake news". the Sun counter attack by saying they recorded the interview. What is to be done with such a mysoginist, racist bully