Gransnet forums

News & politics

Trump Blimp

(260 Posts)
notanan2 Fri 06-Jul-18 12:16:59

Im not at all pro trump but IMO this is awful

It is not a "protest". Ive been on protests. They have a point and an aim

What is point/aim here?
That they don't like his appearance & don't want UK to even try to negotiate?
They don't want us to be the "bigger person" as a nation? they want us to be as childish and petty as him?

Its embarrassing and diplomatically dangerous, NOT an exercise in constructive protect or free speech

GrannyGravy13 Fri 06-Jul-18 12:58:53

In this instance Silence is Golden!!!!

No protesters or flag wavers to greet him, and inflate his extremely large ego just empty streets.

He is POTUS and unless he is impeached he will be until the next USA elections.

gillybob Fri 06-Jul-18 13:04:26

I think this is truly disgraceful . The people behind it should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves as should the mayor of London for allowing it .

lemongrove Fri 06-Jul-18 13:26:32

Yes, it’s very childish, I agree.
Think of the heads of state we have invited here in the past, and recent past at that.?
Saddiq Khan has allowed his dislike ( on a personal level) to get the better of his judgement.
Though I expect Trump won’t see it, as I don’t think he will be going to Westminster on this visit to the UK.

notanan2 Fri 06-Jul-18 13:36:52

also they are idiots, they are basically giving him what he wants: attention

and he thrives on bad attention, feeds into his conspiracy theory rhetoric

gillybob Fri 06-Jul-18 14:08:50

Saddiq Khan should perhaps imagine a giant blimp characature of himself flying over London .

gillybob Fri 06-Jul-18 14:09:21

I doubt he would give his permission for that though would he ?

lemongrove Fri 06-Jul-18 14:12:57

grin

notanan2 Fri 06-Jul-18 14:14:38

just because someone is horrible doesn't mean you aren't also unkind if you pick on their appearance.

Trump loves to talk down london and this'll just give him more fuel. We should be more dignified than him not playing at his level

Doodle Fri 06-Jul-18 14:18:47

I'm no Trump fan but I think it is just plain rude, not funny and pointless.

Oopsadaisy53 Fri 06-Jul-18 14:21:49

I think ignoring this man will carry more weight than something bobbing around,

as he would say, all publicity is good publicity.

Oldwoman70 Fri 06-Jul-18 14:53:24

I also don't know what point they are trying to make. I don't think for a minute Trump will be bothered by this, even if he does see it which I doubt. To me it is a childish, pointless waste of money.

eazybee Fri 06-Jul-18 15:05:48

I had no idea what Trump Blimp is, so I googled it.
I am shocked. It demeans us, not him.
Who has proposed this?

Luckygirl Fri 06-Jul-18 16:10:31

It is tasteless and pointless; and very expensive, no doubt.

HildaW Fri 06-Jul-18 16:27:46

I can see a point to such a thing....make a joke of him because reasonable argument has hardly worked. However, I do really feel that totally ignoring him would be better. The man loves attention and publicity - he's very child like with his 'look at me' attitude, so all us 'grown-ups' should really just ignore him.

PECS Fri 06-Jul-18 16:53:33

Sadiq Khan is a good family man. As there is no law preventing this it can happen. Satirical cartoons, & this is an inflatable one, are a traditional way to lampoon political opposition. The right to protest is a sign of a healthy democracy. To ban protests is what dictators do. Having fought a war to defeat right wing dictators I think it is good that the POTUS, who admires all current dictators, is cut down to size! #carryonprotesting

lemongrove Fri 06-Jul-18 17:00:24

Hardly a protest is it?
Hardly matters if Khan is a good family man either.

jura2 Fri 06-Jul-18 17:50:15

I agree leaving the streets empty and no noise whatsoever would be the best way, due to his massive narcissic personality (Trump, not Khan who is indeed a very good and intelligent man)

merlotgran Fri 06-Jul-18 18:20:29

Good target practice.

Trump can hardly object to a few guns.

gillybob Fri 06-Jul-18 18:40:44

How can Khan be described as “a very good and intelligent man” when it was him who had to approve this. Clearly he wasn’t thinking properly at all .

suzied Fri 06-Jul-18 18:47:06

The idea that this was some decision by SK has ignored the fact that it is the Mayor’s office ( not just the mayor personally) and still has to have agreement of the met police and air traffic. I’d find this balloon less objectionable than a huge protest march blocking up central London and am ( not) shocked by some of the personal nastiness aimed at Sadiq Khan.

nanaK54 Fri 06-Jul-18 18:55:27

Not a fan of 'the Donald' but this is hugely disrespectful

gillybob Fri 06-Jul-18 19:01:40

“Personal nastiness against Khan suzied?

Where ? confused

Luckygirl Fri 06-Jul-18 19:41:55

Khan is obliged to support free speech and democratic demonstrators.

suzied Fri 06-Jul-18 20:15:44

You haven’t got to look far to find personal / racist attacks on Sadiq Khan ( I didn’t say on here before I’m shouted down) but on here the criticisms of the decision to allow this balloon seems to be aimed at Khan when the decision isn’t his alone and still hasn’t been confirmed, people getting their knickers in a twist over something that might or might not happen. What about Spitting Image? Cartoons in a newspaper? Should they be banned for making fun of politicians?