Gransnet forums

News & politics

Football

(11 Posts)
Luckylegs9 Sun 08-Jul-18 07:03:54

Not for quite a few decades have I enjoyed watching football. I would go out if it was on, they are all paid too much money, and their didid behaviour off the pitch annoyed me beyond words, yet this team and their manager has changed it all. What an absolutely fabulous game they played yesterday. I am hooked and feel so proud of our team. To see the joyous reaction of all their fans is great.

Alima Sun 08-Jul-18 07:46:55

Totally agree Luckylegs, the way they have played this tournament has rekindled my interest no end. Beginning to feel like those heady days of ‘96 all over again! (Helped no end by Gareth Southgate being such a lovely man even though I always think of pizza when I see him!).

travelsafar Sun 08-Jul-18 08:27:44

Echo the above comments, looking forward to the semi final now. Never thought I would say that!!!

Fennel Sun 08-Jul-18 09:44:36

Me too smile.

Luckygirl Sun 08-Jul-18 10:19:13

I am about to get lined up and shot - I hate football!! I think it is tribal aggression and induces such in the fans.

I am especially peed off with the world cup as several of my very close family rely on ticket sales to their outdoor events for their livelihood and the blessed matches are compromising this in a very big way - a year's hard slog blown out of the water by b...... football! Forgive my total lack of enthusiasm - I can't wait for it all to stop.

paddyann Sun 08-Jul-18 10:24:54

we're not into football at all ,we get very peed off with people telling us we should be supporting Englland because Scotland isn't in the tournament.Forgive me if I'm wrong +but I've never heard anyone tell a Spaniard they should be supporting France or Portugal when Spains not playing!!Its ridiculous .I'll keep avoiding it.We do watch some rugby because my OH and Son both played when younger .

Jalima1108 Sun 08-Jul-18 11:12:32

I would never support Scotland either paddyann
smile

gillybob Sun 08-Jul-18 11:18:47

I would ( and have in the past) supported both Scotland, Wales and NI in various sporting events ( mostly footy to be fair) . We are all part of the UK after all and the UNION JACK ?? is made up of all of our individual flags .

nigglynellie Sun 08-Jul-18 11:21:41

Why on earth should a Spaniard support France or Portugal when Spain isn't playing?!! They're completely different countries with no ties whatsoever. Scotland is, unfortunately, still part of the combined UK, of which England is also a member and as such would, I would have thought supported a member state, just like the beloved EU encourages us to do!! If Scotland had a team playing, I would support them albeit through gritted teeth!!

nigglynellie Sun 08-Jul-18 11:24:03

Unless they were playing England or Wales that is!!

glammanana Sun 08-Jul-18 11:34:12

There is no way I can avoid it at the moment what with having 2 x DSs and 5DGs and a tomboy GGD.
We have 3 teams local to us so always support any local team playing in any matches and of course they are all supporting England at the moment.
At least we don't have to put up the likes of the "gazzas" of this world and their over the top antics this team seems to be so well behaved in comparison.