Gransnet forums

News & politics

Trump in Scotland

(27 Posts)
Caledonai14 Mon 09-Jul-18 06:20:37

So sad that Donald Trump will spend most of his UK visit in Scotland. Theresa May was in such a hurry to invite him after he was elected. Why doesn't she have him stay at Chequers (and confiscate his twitter while she's at it)?

Trump's previous actions in Scotland as a businessman upset a lot of people and we will probably have to deal with him long after he is no longer president. I doubt the UK government will part with £5 million to police every future visit. It has only been set up this way to stop protests getting out of hand in London.

We are not invisible up here and have the right to peaceful protest, but there is a danger of clashes with police officers, some of whom might be drafted in from elsewhere and not aware of the strength of feeling or the historical heavy-handed mistakes made around the security of Trump's course at Menie.

We really don't deserve this and I hope the protests are loud, colourful, tartan, yet level-headed and peaceful. And we should all remember that a number of the officers - who have no choice - will have had to give up holidays with their children or have left their own communities unpoliced simply to guard an Ego who could have stayed in the American Embassy or a secure London hotel.

Jane10 Mon 09-Jul-18 07:12:41

Trump has behaved abominably up here. However, I do think it would hit his ego harder to completely ignore him. A total silence with backs turned to him would be a dignified way of expressing our opprobrium.
I do agree about the poor policemen drafted in to protect him.

OldMeg Mon 09-Jul-18 07:31:40

When does he arrive?

Wheniwasyourage Mon 09-Jul-18 07:49:41

What Jane10 said.

mcem Mon 09-Jul-18 08:24:13

My comment about Trump on another thread sparked a reaction which ended in paranoid complaints about gangs and cliques so may I join this one in the hope that it stays on track.
I'm of the opinion that silent disdain is the way to go!
However I shall be on holiday with the wee ones this week and hope to keep up with any shenanigans from across the channel!

M0nica Mon 09-Jul-18 08:58:08

'Trump Blimp', 'Trump in Scotlaand'. Sounds like the first two books in a comic series, a bit like Jeeves and Wooster.

wildswan16 Mon 09-Jul-18 09:08:28

I think he would absolutely hate for everyone just to ignore him. Unfortunately I am sure people will use the visit to demonstrate - which is, of course, OK to do, but he will just use it to tweet how thousands of people came out to see him.

It will be interesting to see how public figures/politicians etc interact with him. I am sure many of them will "have" to play their part but maybe somewhat reluctantly.

Jane10 Mon 09-Jul-18 09:10:02

Of course a massed Grans mooning him might be good...

mcem Mon 09-Jul-18 09:15:16

Whooaa jane! I'm glad I've already said I won't be around.
Don't want to be accused of chickening out!

annodomini Mon 09-Jul-18 09:29:35

If anyone is in any doubt about the Trump organisation's behaviour in Scotland, I recommend this documantary 'You've Been Trumped'. Is he popular in Scotland? What do you think?

annodomini Mon 09-Jul-18 09:30:26

Sorry - 'documentary' - but who knows how he would spell it!

Caledonai14 Mon 09-Jul-18 09:45:45

I, too, am an advocate of ignoring or back-turning, but leading Scottish figures like Labour's Richard Leonard have called for protest and a diverse range of union and human rights organisations appear to back this. There is nothing wrong with peaceful protest, but I do feel Scotland has been backed into a corner on this and it is not so long since Tory politicians were urging Donald Trump to come to Scotland rather than London because it is his ancestral home and he would be "welcome" here. He appears to have heard that misinformed message and filtered out all the rest. I can think of far better uses for £5 million, but can't see why we don't just slap Trump with the policing bill, given that he had plenty other options.

mcem Mon 09-Jul-18 10:07:27

He has so little grasp of what's going on that he does not realise how utterly unrepresentative these few Tory voices are of Scotland!
Sentimental musings about his mother and his heritage are meaningless.
Whether he has 'filtered out' the facts or simply never understood the situation, I do not want to seem him here, smug and patronising!
I wonder just which eminent Scots will greet him.

mcem Mon 09-Jul-18 10:08:29

seem see

maryeliza54 Mon 09-Jul-18 10:15:31

I just think that whatever happened - ignoring or mass protest, he will spin it to fit his own ideas so people should do what they prefer, which they will anyway, but at least the message will be clear to those of us with a brain. I just hope it’s peaceful.

maryeliza54 Mon 09-Jul-18 10:17:16

Any Scots who meet him will have chosen to do so as it’s a private visit so it will speak volumes about them and their values won’t it?

mcem Mon 09-Jul-18 10:31:53

Despite the fact that no eminent Scots are rushing to meet him it seems he will indeed be met on arrival either by airport officials or members of South Ayrshire Council!
Think of how he'd feel he landed to find that the only ones there to meet him were his own minions!

paddyann Mon 09-Jul-18 10:49:30

ignore him ,best way to handle him.He'll hate it!

Caledonai14 Mon 09-Jul-18 11:02:21

There will also be Scots who depend upon him for their jobs. They will have to treat him as the boss (or high heidyin as we say in these parts) he is and there are few people who can be choosy about employment in this day and age.
I suspect that's the very reason every other serving president has put his business interests into a trust for the duration of his term of office.
Trump, naturally, handed control of his to his sons instead, so now the American taxpayers get to pay the bill when he stays in one of his own hotels.
As far as I can make out, he's still the boss.
That's not the fault of the poor souls who may have to work their way through protestors to get to their jobs.
Mrs May should have waited before issuing that invitation, but - having done it - she should host and entertain her own guest at home.
She's like the child who is desperately keen to have the most unruly child over for tea, then abandons the wild playmate in next door's garden when she finds out her mum was right all along.

Jane10 Mon 09-Jul-18 11:15:53

Och. Business is business and Theresa May had to ask him.
He will, as paddyann said, spin anything anyway. Its interesting that over here and in Europe it would seem that he's massively unpopular. It's about the only thing that everyone agrees on. It came as a shock to me to meet Trump supporters on a recent holiday. They were American and staggeringly uninformed but happy to believe everything he tweets.

Fennel Mon 09-Jul-18 12:44:16

The best solution would be that the weather should turn really wild at the weekend - gales and pouring rain.
Which it can do in Scotland wink

Caledonai14 Mon 09-Jul-18 12:57:47

Indeed Fennel. And the golf courses, like the farms and the gardens, are needing that rain so it would be two birds with one stone. Or should that be birdies? grin

muffinthemoo Mon 09-Jul-18 12:58:12

I have half a mind to go to the protests, but i’m checking in with my friends who are as to whether some folk will use them as cover for trouble.

If not I’ll meet up with my pals at the Friday night one.

Cherrytree59 Mon 09-Jul-18 13:09:48

Well Friday the 13th
A solar eclipse
And Trump in Scotland!
Whatever could go to wrong??.hmm

Jane10 Mon 09-Jul-18 13:39:23

cherrytree59 grin