Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris resigns as Foreign Secretary!

(104 Posts)
Elegran Mon 09-Jul-18 15:17:01

News as of 15:05 today.

BlueBelle Mon 09-Jul-18 18:27:23

I think the whole blooming lot should follow Farages gang and disappear up their own xxxx and we need to tell Europe it was just a bad dream
Not going on the political threads much I didn’t realise someone was so utterly rude about Scotland so pipe down Nellie you don’t speak for me

Luckygirl Mon 09-Jul-18 18:28:06

What day is Dead Ringers on now?

MawBroon Mon 09-Jul-18 18:28:49

Is it still Friday?

nigglynellie Mon 09-Jul-18 18:31:18

Paddyann continually tells us how much she, the Scottish government and presumably the Scottish people consider the Westminster government, whichever they are, are evil (her words) wicked and generally loathsome, so why on earth would anyone want people who feel like that about us, in a union with us!!

Anniebach Mon 09-Jul-18 18:32:39

Unfair on niggly, why can one poster say she wants Scotland out of the U.K. but not for another poster to say she wants Scotland out of the U.K.

Anniebach Mon 09-Jul-18 18:33:23

Oops, sorry niggly , posted at same time

oldbatty Mon 09-Jul-18 18:33:33

I think it would be a massive mistake for the UK to break up.

I think Cameron was an arrogant,entitled fool who got us into this mess.

I think the DUP are monsters.

Jane10 Mon 09-Jul-18 18:52:29

Argh just argh!! What a shambles. I bet Theresa May would love to just say 'Sod the lot of you' and walk. Except she won't. She's done her best with dignity in a nest of vipers. She personally would get my vote but not the Tories. Now, Where's that nice old chap Cable gone...

eazybee Mon 09-Jul-18 19:00:42

Yes, oldbatty, the responsibility for all this mess lies at Cameron's door; when he promised the referendum he had no intention of still being Prime Minister: 'If I am still PM I will call a referendum in 2016;' to his astonishment he was PM and to his astonishment the Leave vote won, although you wouldn't think so now. He vanished to his shepherd's hut and left his party to sort out his mess.

I am sorry Boris Johnson has gone, despite all his flaws. The one I mistrust most is Gove; he fouled up Boris's leadership attempt, was sacked by May but was promised a way back if he proved himself. This he is doing now with his spaniel fawning and complete reversal of his Leave campaign.
He is the one angling for leadership. Personally I will never forgive him for the mess he made of education: Free schools, Academies and unqualified teachers.
That it should come to this.

varian Mon 09-Jul-18 19:03:49

So right oldbatty and I'm glad to tell you Jane10 that nice old chap Cable is still here and this afternoon was for once allowed by the Speaker to put a question to the PM.

Of course he did not get a satisfactory answer, but neither did most of the other questioners.

Grandad1943 Mon 09-Jul-18 19:06:58

I find it ironic that after all the discussion of the Labour Party splitting over leadership it is now the Tory party that is now seen as the more likely of the two main parties to have that happen.

Jacob Reece-Mogg has stated that if Theresa May pushes through her Brexit plan with Labour and Liberal support the Conservative party would split from the top downward.

We live in very strange political times indeed

Anniebach Mon 09-Jul-18 19:10:05

The Labour Party is split , has been since Corbyn won the leadership

nigglynellie Mon 09-Jul-18 19:13:14

Thanks annie. ????

MaizieD Mon 09-Jul-18 19:13:34

Unfair on niggly, why can one poster say she wants Scotland out of the U.K. but not for another poster to say she wants Scotland out of the U.K.

nellie can say that to her heart's content but it's a personal view and not that of the 'English'

Grandad1943 Mon 09-Jul-18 19:18:30

No formal split in the Labour party anniebach in the same form as the gang of four carried out and failed at.

However, I believe that is the kind of split that JRM was referring to in his interview following the meeting of the Conservative 1922 committee at which Theresa May received much support.

It would seem that even within the Conservative party there are now many who have had enough of these out of touch hardline Tory Brexitiers holding the whole country and their party to ransom.

Overthehills Mon 09-Jul-18 19:22:02

As I’ve said on several occasions - Paddyann does not speak for the people of Scotland, anymore than the SNP does.

varian Mon 09-Jul-18 19:23:16

In February this year, Liam Fox, the international trade secretary, says a proposed customs union with the EU after Brexit would be 'a complete sellout of Britain's national interests and a betrayal of the voters in the referendum'

www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2018/feb/27/liam-fox-says-post-brexit-customs-union-would-be-complete-sellout-video

That seems to be intrinsic to the Checkers agreement. Why has he not resigned?

oldbatty Mon 09-Jul-18 19:31:16

Gove is vile, like something you would scrape off the bottom of your shoe.

Anniebach Mon 09-Jul-18 19:34:27

Yes Mazie, it is nigglys personal view just as Paddyann’s comments on Scotland are her personal views

Anniebach Mon 09-Jul-18 19:36:25

And there will be no formal split in the Tory party.

Lazigirl Mon 09-Jul-18 19:36:46

I am glad BJ has gone because I think he was the worst foreign secretary on record, and in particular I feel very sad about Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe who is still languishing in an Iranian jail.

Lazigirl Mon 09-Jul-18 19:43:33

I think you are right about no split Anniebach as TM performed well in the House today and has a clear majority of her party behind her - but watch this space!

Lazigirl Mon 09-Jul-18 19:46:03

Whoops. Another's gone. Chris Green - never heard of him!

Grandad1943 Mon 09-Jul-18 19:49:01

I would have thought anniebach with your fifty-year membership of the Labour party you would have been only too pleased that your main opposition party was disintegrating before the whole countries eyes.

I cannot understand why you are not "overjoyed"at the prospect of the Tory party splitting apart?

Jalima1108 Mon 09-Jul-18 19:52:44

Not just yet, Grandad!!
Some of us are waiting for the Labour party to disintegrate and re-form first.