Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris resigns as Foreign Secretary!

(104 Posts)
Elegran Mon 09-Jul-18 15:17:01

News as of 15:05 today.

varian Tue 10-Jul-18 20:21:02

Two Conservative party vice chairs QUIT in protest at May’s Brexit plans saying they will lead to ‘Prime Minister Corbyn’ as the first letters of no confidence land

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5937591/Extraordinary-public-spat-erupts-Remainer-Brexiteer-Tory-MPs.html

This cannot possibly be fake news - it is on the mailonline website.

varian Tue 10-Jul-18 19:13:08

Trump UK visit: President says Britain 'in turmoil' and defends 'friend' Boris Johnson

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-theresa-may-boris-johnson-brexit-uk-visit-us-nato-a8440321.html

trisher Tue 10-Jul-18 16:40:00

Well I thought it was funny jura2. And it's a word Miriam Margolyes was using on the Last Leg a lot, so some women use it.

jura2 Tue 10-Jul-18 13:34:46

would you like to borrow my binoculars perhaps?

MawBroon Tue 10-Jul-18 13:33:33

Nobody is attacking anything or anybody.
#justobserving

jura2 Tue 10-Jul-18 13:28:59

Indeed - so why use this to attack again?

MawBroon Tue 10-Jul-18 13:21:32

Just a tiny point
I did not say “an idiom” but the general term “idiom” which one can indeed acquire mastery of. (If you can pardon the preposition.)
But who’s picky. The nuances of language can escape native speakers too.
Regular evidence of that in Pedants’Corner.

jura2 Tue 10-Jul-18 13:15:32

'I don’t think so maryeliza but I have often noticed how people find it easier to swear in a language which is not their mother tongue, sometimes in an attempt to show a mastery of idiom.'

I hate to have to correct you, but a word can never be an idiom, nor show mastery of it. Especially as I very carefully did not use it ... as it is indeed a word I never use. However JN did use it, and there was a photo of JH in front of a poster where is head happened to cover the H ...The Internet is currently full of both, and I didn't think it would offend that much and some would have sufficient SOH to see it for what it is.

Apologies to those who were truly offended by the inferrence - none to those who just thought they could use it against me, for a change.

In the meantime, we are in a very serious and dangerous situation, and it is possible that we should be more worried about that than my command, poor or otherwise, of English.

Blinko Tue 10-Jul-18 12:09:25

MaisieD, though in my experience turnover speeds up when a government, of whichever complexion, has been in power for some time.

MaizieD Tue 10-Jul-18 11:37:13

They seem to cast around for a likely candidate, no matter how tenuous are the links of that candidate to the proposed post.

Isn't that how it's always worked, blinko? People who are appointed as ministers are generalists but they are expected to be intelligent enough to master their brief and to take advice from their civil servants as to what is do-able.

Aren't civil servants mostly generalists, too? Who use outside experts in the field to advise and consult?

Telly Tue 10-Jul-18 10:41:26

The appointment was a bit of a joke in the first place. The only hope is that not enough MPs will support a leadership battle. I don't think that won't happen yet at any rate. They will want Mrs May to make as good/bad a job as she can and then ride in and pick up the pieces. I admire her determination to carry on. I wonder though if Boris has now had his day?

Anniebach Tue 10-Jul-18 10:33:33

So true varian

varian Tue 10-Jul-18 10:15:46

Surely just about anyone could be a better Foreign Secretary than Boris Johnson?

Anniebach Tue 10-Jul-18 10:14:50

If labour wins the next election what qualifications does John McDonald have to balance the books as chancellor ?

Blinko Tue 10-Jul-18 10:06:53

There seems no rhyme or reason to how positions in the government are allocated, it seems to be 'ok you'll do, have the job'

As a former civil servant, used to preparing ministerial briefings for incoming ministers, I can say that this is precisely what happens when the Government of the day is running out of steam.

They seem to cast around for a likely candidate, no matter how tenuous are the links of that candidate to the proposed post.

What a way to govern a country!

maryeliza54 Tue 10-Jul-18 08:41:37

Who on here was swearing in a language not their mother tongue MB? In fact( inconvenient word I know) who was swearing on here at all?

travelsafar Tue 10-Jul-18 08:12:16

Matt Hancock health secretary??Wasnt he minister for culture previously, if i am correct how does doing that job equate with healthservices??? There seems no rhyme or reason to how positions in the government are allocated, it seems to be 'ok you'll do, have the job' I am all for TM and wish her well in what seems to be a job with backbiting and disloyal colleagues.

Anniebach Tue 10-Jul-18 08:11:59

So wrong to believe what goes on in the official oposition party isn’t of any importance, a weak oposition helps keep a government in power.

MaizieD Tue 10-Jul-18 07:52:31

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

crystaltipps Tue 10-Jul-18 07:47:36

Is this the Jeremy Hunt who “forgot” he bought 7 flats? And said he wanted to remain health secretary?

mcem Tue 10-Jul-18 07:36:17

Not so long ago JH was fighting tooth and nail to stay in his job and dedicate himself to health and social care.
Seems to have had a shift in principles.
Could it be that he wouldn't accept a sideways move but couldn't resist grabbing promotion with both hands?
In his previous post his influence over Scotland was only indirect but now we'll feel the JH effect rather more.

crystaltipps Tue 10-Jul-18 06:51:13

Some good news . Let’s hope the baby isn’t named Boris or Theresa.
Meanwhile, Boris and Double D leaving the sinking ship, so they can then claim none of the mess anything to do with them, TM trying to keep the good ship Brexitanic afloat, and Parliament about to go on their summer hols. What’s the betting the right wingers are planning a coup?

OldMeg Tue 10-Jul-18 06:41:46

Congrats grumppa

grumppa Tue 10-Jul-18 06:31:14

My delight yesterday at BJ finally leaving the cabinet was surpassed only by the birth of another GC: a double celebration of 9 July for years to come!

MawBroon Mon 09-Jul-18 23:06:56

I don’t think so maryeliza but I have often noticed how people find it easier to swear in a language which is not their mother tongue, sometimes in an attempt to show a mastery of idiom.I find it distasteful whether overt or implied.