Gransnet forums

News & politics

BBC Pay

(73 Posts)
Anniebach Wed 11-Jul-18 13:18:35

Is Gary Lineker worth 1.759 million a year ?

curlilox Thu 12-Jul-18 10:22:15

It amazes me that someone who works in the entertainment industry (yes I know he was a talented footballer and is regarded as an "expert") can earn vast amounts of money, while people who really make a difference, medical professionals, fire crews, police etc earn far less than their worth. Everything is upside down. If the BBC can afford to pay these eye-watering amounts and the NHS and other services are short of money, there is an obvious answer.

Patticake123 Thu 12-Jul-18 10:25:52

I married a ‘nice guy from Leicester ‘ and he played football on Saturdays, however, despite working hard for 44 years, by my calculations he didn’t earn anything like £1.79 million in his total working life. Of course it’s wrong to pay these inflated salaries. Not just the BBC but also the inflated pay of many CEO’s. I think it is immoral and a major cause of division in our country.

GabriellaG Thu 12-Jul-18 10:45:16

Obviously, women and persons of colour are not up to the mark, otherwise their agents would negotiate better pay structures.
It's the viewing figures which suggest the value of any presenter or entertainer.

pheasant75 Thu 12-Jul-18 10:49:44

celebrities earn more that bosses of complies who create jobs and hopefully wealth for the country stop paying these celebes have you seen the latest adverts for sun life Alan titmarsh and carole V .what is TV doing

sarahellenwhitney Thu 12-Jul-18 10:55:37

GrannyGravy 13.
Can we not, just for once, have the word colour brought into it.?Many people, not just in the world of sport, have been coloured and paid what some believe is OTT amounts of money. If you've got what some one wants and prepared to pay you an X amount of money for then so what? Who you are what you are is irrelevant.

GabriellaG Thu 12-Jul-18 10:58:43

How many of your OH/DH/AS/GS watch football programmes? How many attend matches and buy the strips which are all exhorbitant prices. How many pay for SkySport?
No wonder Linekar and his ilk get paid so much for hosting programmes which are primarily male focussed.
Ronaldo is moving to Juve in an £80m+ deal of which he'll get 10% without even tapping a ball. Gary's £1.75m is peanuts beside the value he brings to air...at least, that is the view of the beeb.

petra Thu 12-Jul-18 10:59:42

Let's not forget that not one of them is on PAYE.

GabriellaG Thu 12-Jul-18 11:00:59

*Lineker blush

kittylester Thu 12-Jul-18 11:11:10

My Leicester lad made the mistake of being born in Liverpool - that's all I can put it down to.

mabon1 Thu 12-Jul-18 11:21:16

No, he's not worth it. How about the pay for nurses and care workers?

GabriellaG Thu 12-Jul-18 11:21:19

If people, primarily men, didn't pay for SkySport, watch football on other channels, pay to attend matches and membership of their fav club, didn't buy the strips, scarves and paraphernalia adorned with their team logo, then the wages footballers and pundits get paid would be peanuts. The BBC sells it's programmes to other countries and because viewing figures are so high, companies are keen to advertise with those programmes and sponsor the top teams.
You can't complain if your OH/AS/GS are among the millions who indirectly pay the inflated wages.

gillybob Thu 12-Jul-18 11:22:03

Let's not forget that not one of them is on PAYE

How right you are petra and that's where the problem lies!

If these people with inflated salaries paid tax and NI in the normal way like the rest of us I might have some respect for them (and that includes her maj and her firm). But they all seem to be part of various tax avoidance schemes because they are so bloody greedy and that makes my blood boil.

JanaNana Thu 12-Jul-18 11:22:37

No...totally obscene. Not even half that amount. The money seems to equate to the size of their ego"s not their talent ,that's for sure.

GabriellaG Thu 12-Jul-18 11:25:36

kittylester
Being born in Liverpool is never a mistake.
It's a wonderful City with very generous, humorous people.

Howjado Thu 12-Jul-18 11:26:00

Why does Lineker advertise crisps anyway? Can't he manage on £1.75 million a year!

Hm999 Thu 12-Jul-18 11:26:32

The World Cup and Premiership are two of BBC's main sporting events, which I guess are sold all round the world, thus producing major income. Lineker is internationally renowned, and is the best in his field (which is why BT Sport want him)

Hm999 Thu 12-Jul-18 11:27:54

GabrielleG - most of the inflated footballers' wages come from Sky

kittylester Thu 12-Jul-18 11:34:00

I know that gabriella, it was a joke about men from Leicester earning like Lineker!

gillybob Thu 12-Jul-18 11:36:57

Yes indeed Hm999 there is a common misconception that footballers huge salaries come from ticket sales for matches when they won't even scratch the surface .

I must say I do enjoy Lineker, Shearer, Ferdinand and Co. on the BBC much better than the lot in ITV who are boring as hell.

Aepgirl Thu 12-Jul-18 11:39:48

Certainly not. And that's before all the perks of the job.

luzdoh Thu 12-Jul-18 11:56:38

Anniebach Nobody is. It's a sign of our very unbalanced and immoral world where our values are upside down and we can accept tortuous poverty amidst egregious wealth. I have nothing against Mr Lineker, he's a victim of this immoral world too. Indeed I suspect he probably does more good with his fortune than many others.

quizqueen Thu 12-Jul-18 13:12:39

I would prefer it if the government scrapped the licence fee and made the BBC become self sufficient by introducing advertising which I can choose to ignore. The BBC is not fit for purpose as it just pushes its own agenda and is no longer an unbiased public service as it was started out to be.

Rosina Thu 12-Jul-18 13:25:43

Surely no one is?

Doversole Thu 12-Jul-18 13:36:39

Quizqueen, I agree with you - the BBC seems biased. I've been overseas a bit this year, and have also started looking at the UK news put out by other organisations. The BBC seems biased not so much in how it reports stuff, but in the stuff it just doesn't cover.

Doversole Thu 12-Jul-18 13:38:58

a bit off the topic - hope a brief thought about this is OK: Trump's here today. Lots of issues with him, but does anyone think UK media is unbiased in the way he is reported?