Gransnet forums

News & politics

BBC Pay

(73 Posts)
Anniebach Wed 11-Jul-18 13:18:35

Is Gary Lineker worth 1.759 million a year ?

Doversole Thu 12-Jul-18 14:02:22

I've nothing against Gary Lineker, he's good at his job, but his salary does seem an unreasonably large amount of money for what he does. If he was paid half the amount, would he do the job any less well? I doubt it. Does the BBC really need to pay all that money to secure his services?

gillybob Thu 12-Jul-18 14:10:27

I suppose if Sky are after him then if the BBC want to secure him then they do Doversole (not saying I agree with it mind you)

Lilyflower Thu 12-Jul-18 14:25:19

"What has Brexit got to do with the reported earnings of BBC employees?"

Oldwoman70, I think you will find that Brexit is the problem to all solutions.

Margs Thu 12-Jul-18 14:57:30

I note that the BBC thinks the way to rectify the equal pay discrepancy is to LOWER the mens salaries as opposed to increasing the women's salaries. Typical!

And Gary Lineker is not worth all that dosh for.....what? Waffle, waffle, waffle, waffle. But he'd better watch out - there's a rumour that his job could be Gareth Southgate's for the taking if he should ever consider it.....oops!

gillybob Thu 12-Jul-18 15:12:01

I’m sorry but I agree with them Margs the women who are complaining are already earning huge salaries. The men’s salaries are just ridiculous and need to be brought down ( along with their huge ego’s) massively !

Neilspurgeon0 Thu 12-Jul-18 15:46:28

Is anyone ?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 12-Jul-18 16:07:31

Sarahellenwhitney, the point I hoped to make was whilst I think Gary L is grossly overpaid especially as it is public money. Together with the other top 10 highest paid employees of BBC they were all white middle aged men, and in 2018 I do not feel that they are representative of the demographics of the UK.

I know that they have agents negotiating the best deal for them. They also set themselves up as Limited Companies thereby diminishing the amount of tax liability.

They sell themselves to the highest bidder. We all have a right to earn as much as we can for the job we do, but I do think that TV personalities are grossly overpaid, whilst our NHS, firefighters and ambulance personnel have had their wages capped.

sarahellenwhitney Thu 12-Jul-18 16:16:34

No doubt had Bobby Moore lived he would have been sitting where Lineker now sits and getting the same flack.
It will never stop and protest as much as you like when Lineker goes it leaves a vacant chair which will be filled at the same price maybe even more. Do I care ? no. Why waste time on something I cannot do a thing about.

Horatia Thu 12-Jul-18 16:20:42

I imagine he would do the job for a tiny fraction of that money. Who else is waiting to pay him that kind of money?

PamelaJ1 Thu 12-Jul-18 16:51:34

Actually Horatia I think that the other channels pay more so there are businesses willing to pay.
Wouldn’t it be wonderful if they paid paye like most of the rest of us?

gillybob Thu 12-Jul-18 16:52:26

Erm Sky ?

jenpax Thu 12-Jul-18 18:52:33

The thing that makes me mad is the punitive actions that follow if a tv licence is not bought! Watching TV without a valid licence (even if it’s just catch up) is a criminal offence and can lead to a prison sentence! So it’s a form of indirect revenue raising and is in my opinion draconian?

Ilovecheese Thu 12-Jul-18 19:04:53

I think the licence fee is a real bargain. Worth paying not to have adverts.

gillybob Thu 12-Jul-18 19:10:35

I agree jenpax I didn’t dare watch any footy on my phone or tablet at work despite having a licence at home and being the only one at work . Crazy innit ?

hulahoop Thu 12-Jul-18 19:10:50

Think most of them are overpaid along with footballers etc unfortunately I can't do anything about it it's a great divide between them and us nothing changes .

Thebeeb Thu 12-Jul-18 19:45:12

In a word NO.

Elrel Thu 12-Jul-18 20:09:32

Is anyone worth that ridiculous sum? Hopefully he chooses to put some of it where it will help the less fortunate.

eazybee Thu 12-Jul-18 20:21:19

Nobody is worth that amount of money.

I do care because I have no choice but to pay the licence fee, and then I am told the BBC cannot afford to make quality drama as they used to because there is no money.

MaizieD Thu 12-Jul-18 20:29:22

I would suspect that people working for commercial TV companies are equally well paid and that you pay their salaries from the amount that advertisers add to their products in order to pay for their advertising.

4allweknow Thu 12-Jul-18 21:39:44

Not at all. There is far too much football on BBC. Why does the organisation think everyone who pays a license wants it spent on games and presenters. What's so difficult to report about 22 folk kicking a ball about for 90 mins and two hours blabbing on about why so and so should win.

maryhoffman37 Sat 14-Jul-18 15:05:23

No-one is.

icanhandthemback Sat 14-Jul-18 16:52:48

No matter who you are, there are only so
many hours in the day and I don’t think anybody is worth that sort of hourly rate, no matter how talented or skilled, in any industry. It is an obscenity.