Gransnet forums

News & politics

England Football Team.

(103 Posts)
Grandad1943 Thu 12-Jul-18 10:37:19

For over a month now the England team at the World Cup have held the nation enthralled by every aspect of their performance in the tournament. This young team went out to Russia with little expectation on them and very few fans prepared to travel with them for any number of reasons.

However, with each match ever more eyes turned towards those young lads as the whole mood of the UK was lifted by their achievements often as underdogs in what became a wonderful joint team and management effort. Even the defeat against Belgium could not deflate their enthusiasm and belief in themselves.

Of course, it all had to end eventually as experience eventually overcome enthusiasm, but what joy and entertainment they have given us all even in eventual defeat. They have made so many in Britain feel proud of our country.

It was a great pity however that this government could not stay together and come out fully supporting those lads as other governments have done.

Anniebach Fri 13-Jul-18 08:58:37

lemon, i never went to another ?, still feel daft believing linesmen were counting the crowd.

Rugby for me

lemongrove Fri 13-Jul-18 08:57:40

Wow! What a result for Blackburn! grin
Have you been a Man U fan ever since?

Iam64 Fri 13-Jul-18 08:55:37

lemon, I went to see ManU v Blackburn as my 16th birthday present from my then boyfriend. (yes, I know....). It was fantastic, I was hooked and we won 6 - 0. what a day.

lemongrove Fri 13-Jul-18 08:54:16

Annie I went to my first football match in the sixties, only because my boyfriend was so keen to go (Leeds) but did surprise myself by enjoying it.

Anniebach Fri 13-Jul-18 08:53:51

Perhaps they will disobey their master and join this forum,

But I am troubled that we post here, open up our worries and problems and we are an office joke.

Iam64 Fri 13-Jul-18 08:47:10

I agree Annie, it's very unpleasant to think of someone joining a forum and sharing posts with others, in order to sneer or laugh at comments made.

lemongrove Fri 13-Jul-18 08:46:37

Maggie it’s certainly a fanciful situation wink and like you and Iam am surprised nobody has picked up on it.

Anniebach Fri 13-Jul-18 08:37:51

I wonder which threads they laugh at, where someone asks for help, someone has a health problem .

I don’t think I want to post now, creepy that a poster can say they are collecting evidence .

Iam64 Fri 13-Jul-18 08:11:15

Maggiemaybe, so glad someone else picked up on that little snippet.

Maggiemaybe Fri 13-Jul-18 08:07:11

Blimey. I’m more gobsmacked by the image of those poor secretaries being forcefed juicy snippets from Gransnet, then having to be restrained from posting themselves. Poor sods, they must have hard lives.

gillybob Fri 13-Jul-18 07:19:53

My dad took my son to his first football match (I was a single parent) . It was Newcastle United and an evening kick off. Apparently my son spent the entire 90 minutes counting the bulbs in the floodlights ! My dad was gutted. Years later he discovered his true allegiance to their arch rivals Sunderland !

There’s one thing for sure there won’t be another ground in league one to match the Stadium of Light ! How the mighty fall eh ? but as you say grandad it’s all about money and Sunderland don’t have any.

Anniebach Thu 12-Jul-18 22:37:31

I have been to one football match, was staying down Gower and went to Swansea to watch the Swans play, I was with a rather nice boy, anyway I asked what the men running around the outside of the pitch were doing, he said ‘counting the crowds , I believed him, it was the sixties and I was young ?

Grandad1943 Thu 12-Jul-18 22:34:02

Thanks for that Gillybob. I certainly hope your young ones continue their support of Sunderland as too much of the resources in football are now seemingly going to the very top clubs which cannot be a good thing for the long-term viability of the game in Britain

One of my abiding memories of this world cup has been when two substitutes were warming up to come on from different sides in one of the England matches (i cannot remember which one).

However, the cameras caught the two players laughing and joking with each other on the sidelines as they warmed up. The commenter then said those two used to play together at Carlisle only two seasons ago and "got on like a house on fire then"

And there they were about to confront each other in the biggest sports tournament in the world but still loved their memories, days and team mates from lowly Carlisle.

That's football for you and what we all love about "the beautiful game".

Cherrytree59 Thu 12-Jul-18 22:31:59

Next year it's the Women's turn.
France hosts Women's Football World Cup 2019 ⚽

Will any GN footie fans be cheering them on?

gillybob Thu 12-Jul-18 21:35:03

My son and grandson are pure red and white . They supported them in the premier league and have renewed their season tickets even in League one . Jermaine Defoe plays for AFC Bournemouth now although at 35 I would imagine his career is coming to a close .

Grandad1943 Thu 12-Jul-18 21:21:32

Ahhh, Gillybob, Jermaine Defoe he is a TV pundit now I believe or have I got the wrong Defoe?

Hopefully, if I do get to retire again in the Autumn my wife Carol and I will be able to get up to Old Trafford more regularly again to see ManU.

I wonder if your young grandson will continue to support Sunderland as he gets older as it seems these days the up and coming generations tend to support the "big six" in the premiership. What's your thoughts on the matter?

gillybob Thu 12-Jul-18 21:10:34

My grandson (8) worshipped Jermaine Defoe and still hasn’t got over him leaving Sunderland . He met him a few times with little Bradley Lowery ( bless his heart) .

Grandad1943 Thu 12-Jul-18 21:06:18

Gillybob, being Sunderland and Newcastle supporters your two family members certainly know how to soak up punishment and come back for more, and I applaud them in that.

And there are us ManU supporters feeling sorry for ourselves over the last few years, but nothing like what those two have had to put up with. grin

gillybob Thu 12-Jul-18 20:48:58

I’m in the unfortunate position of having a son and grandson supporting Sunderland ( season ticket holders through thick and thin......mainly thin) and a dad who is black and white through and through so I was brought up a Newcastle fan. These days I try to stay neutral . Although they aren’t going to meet up for quite some time (sadly) .

Grandad1943 Thu 12-Jul-18 20:43:24

Fennel, as you say money is a great help in forging a successful side, but it is most certainly not everything as our countries past performances in " the beautiful game have proven.

Tennis is another sport where Britain has the money but seems to turn out few champions, especially this year.

Grandad1943 Thu 12-Jul-18 20:38:12

It seemed to me that many of the referees did not want anything to do with the VAR in reality. Their attitude was that "I am in charge of the match and nobody or nothing is going to interfere with my decisions.

In the above i do not see VAR being much of a benefit until as in Rugby the final decision is made by those running and judging what they see on the system.

Fennel Thu 12-Jul-18 20:32:26

I haven't watched football recently. Used to support Blyth Spartans in my youth and they're still doing ok. Then the 50s, when I supported Newcastle United. They were so successful then. Mostly local players Charltons, Milburn etc.
The England team this year had a bit of the enthusiasm of the old days.
I saw an interview withe Croatian ?manager, who said his team is great but would be greater if they had the money to spent that England has. Not necessarily.

gillybob Thu 12-Jul-18 20:21:01

To be honest grandad, there were so many very questionable decisions by some of the referees that I wondered if anyone was monitoring the VAR system at times . Some shocking fouls left unchecked, yellow cards that should have been red etc.

Grandad1943 Thu 12-Jul-18 20:13:07

As you say Gillybob, it does very much depend on the referee. I do not know what others think on this forum, but to me and many others on one of the ManU forums, the video replay (VAR) has been a complete flop and disaster in this tournament.

gillybob Thu 12-Jul-18 20:03:45

Depends on the referee Grandad wink