Gransnet forums

News & politics

England Football Team.

(102 Posts)
Grandad1943 Thu 12-Jul-18 10:37:19

For over a month now the England team at the World Cup have held the nation enthralled by every aspect of their performance in the tournament. This young team went out to Russia with little expectation on them and very few fans prepared to travel with them for any number of reasons.

However, with each match ever more eyes turned towards those young lads as the whole mood of the UK was lifted by their achievements often as underdogs in what became a wonderful joint team and management effort. Even the defeat against Belgium could not deflate their enthusiasm and belief in themselves.

Of course, it all had to end eventually as experience eventually overcome enthusiasm, but what joy and entertainment they have given us all even in eventual defeat. They have made so many in Britain feel proud of our country.

It was a great pity however that this government could not stay together and come out fully supporting those lads as other governments have done.

lemongrove Thu 12-Jul-18 10:46:29

You have now posted this message twice Grandad first on the sport thread ( the correct place for it) and now on news and politics, does it really need to be on here?

Grandad1943 Thu 12-Jul-18 11:37:23

Lemongrove, there has not been a larger news item (outside of Brexit) this year or I would say for several years that the England team achievements at the World Cup.

Therefore I felt to post in the news section would give those that do not visit the sports section regularly an opportunity to congratulate the team.

Seems perfectly logical to me being the sports section is small on this forum by percentage to this section and, as stated, this is a very large news item.

nigglynellie Thu 12-Jul-18 12:20:15

FGS Grandad, people who are interested in sport will obviously look at the sports thread regardless of its size! So why you find it necessary to have a pop at the government over their degree of enthusiasm about something which lets face it is only a game, is beyond me! Not everybody worships football, some of us actually aren't even remotely interested and honestly, incredible as it may seem couldn't give a flying fig who does or doesn't win, same goes for the tennis!

nigglynellie Thu 12-Jul-18 12:22:12

Large news item?!!!! Mind you to listen to News night you'd think it akin to VE day!! How pathetic is that!

maryeliza54 Thu 12-Jul-18 12:26:44

Oh dear dear dear niggly and lemon . Teaming up to carry on your vendetta against Grandad. Have you any idea how childish it makes you both look? The title of the thread was clear - why click on if you don’t like it? Just to have a go at him? Who gave you the right to be the thread police?Pathetic.

gillybob Thu 12-Jul-18 12:28:23

I was sure I had posted on this thread ??? confused

gillybob Thu 12-Jul-18 12:30:44

oooops just realised there are 2 of 'em.

Sorry.

As you were men.

annodomini Thu 12-Jul-18 12:39:05

^ as the whole mood of the UK was lifted by their achievements^
Really, grandad? England is not the UK, and, although I, as a Scot resident in England, with English DSs and DGC, did cheer for the English team, I would be very surprised if there wasn't a 'sour grapes' attitude among some of my fellow tribespeople!

Grandad1943 Thu 12-Jul-18 12:55:48

Many thanks maryeliza54 for the support. I believe that there is a group on this forum that wishes to prove to one another how "hard they can be on the male of the species" being that there seems to be a majority of females on the forum.

Therefore I regard their attitudes as "sexist stupidity". It does not trouble me but just spurs me to post further in response to their attitudes.

However, their actions are without a doubt in violation of the Equalities act 2010 and the continuation of posts against me in the way that group do, builds the evidence against them.

So, maryeliza54 let them carry on.

Anniebach Thu 12-Jul-18 12:56:58

According to the BBC 18% of Welsh and 7% of Scots we’re supporting England

Anniebach Thu 12-Jul-18 12:58:20

Equalities act? Building up evidence ? Good grief

nigglynellie Thu 12-Jul-18 13:36:25

Equalities Act, evidence!!!!!! I don't actually think you being a man has anything to do with you being 'terrorised' by a group of baton wielding grannies!! do try not to flatter yourself!! Could it be your pompous hectoring manner??!! There's a thought?! Or perhaps you're not all you appear, and we're getting suspicious!!!!

maryeliza54 Thu 12-Jul-18 13:40:56

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

lemongrove Thu 12-Jul-18 13:42:38

Haha Grandad that is very funny indeed, builds the evidence! grin
I asked why you had to post the same comment on two threads, it’s confusing to posters, as gillybob has just demonstrated.
You must realise that maryeliza is not actually your supporter, simply a stirrer.

nigglynellie Thu 12-Jul-18 13:49:39

m.l . !!!!!!!! Calm down dear!!!! grin

lemongrove Thu 12-Jul-18 13:52:58

I just showed those posts to DH niggly .......he laughed! grin

Grandad1943 Thu 12-Jul-18 14:10:47

Keep going girls. grin

Anniebach Thu 12-Jul-18 14:13:29

Keep collecting your evidence grandad1943, you can then hand all over to the legal secretaries you claim work for/with you ?

Anniebach Thu 12-Jul-18 14:15:01

grandad1943, we are ladies , do we refer to you as boy ?

gillybob Thu 12-Jul-18 14:15:16

"hectoring" is a new one on me . Is it anything to do with Hectors House? I loved that.

Grandad1943 Thu 12-Jul-18 14:18:19

Lemongrove, you state thatmaryeliza54 is a "stirrer" to use your term, However, how would you then describe your attitude towards me, bearing in mind your responses to my posts over a substantial period of time?

maryeliza54 Thu 12-Jul-18 14:22:02

I think girls is an accurate description - you are in the playground after all in your little gang Lemon who could care less about whether your DH laughed or not?

maryeliza54 Thu 12-Jul-18 14:25:53

By stirrer, Grandad. lemon means someone who doesn’t agree with her and hang on her every word and is prepared to calll her out forever pathetic behaviour. Oh yes and who is left of centre.

Grandad1943 Thu 12-Jul-18 14:27:17

anniebach, you state that only 17% of the Welsh people and 7% of the Scottish were supporting the English team at the world cup. However, I seem to recall that Iceland as a small nation was prominent at finals in Russia, but I do not recall seeing wales or Scotland there. So, where were they? grin